Re: 2021 Playoff Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm Let's check in on Petro's start to the Habs series...
Great open ice hit, I will never get tired of seeing those. Petro was absolutely dominate on the ice last night, it was fun to watch. Led Vegas is shots, blocked shots, takeaways, TOI. He does it all and really controlled the game. He's worth every penny Vegas paid for him.
Admit it, you love Petro. You love him and you miss him. I sense envy in your message above :D

While I am hoping for a Lightning vs Golden Knights SCF, this is the first time in a long time where if any of the Final Four teams won the Cup, I'd be OK with it, as I like two of them a lot, and don't hate either the Canadiens or the Isles.

Enjoyed the first two games, looking forward to the Bolts making it 1-1 after tonight :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm Let's check in on Petro's start to the Habs series...
Great open ice hit, I will never get tired of seeing those. Petro was absolutely dominate on the ice last night, it was fun to watch. Led Vegas is shots, blocked shots, takeaways, TOI. He does it all and really controlled the game. He's worth every penny Vegas paid for him.
He's a good hockey player! I just wanted to give the board what it wants.
This board loves seeing Russians crush a good ole Canadian boy
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 pm
Admit it, you love Petro. You love him and you miss him. I sense envy in your message above :D
Haha after watching our defense flail this season, yes, I miss him. A lot. I'd say give me him over Krug and Faulk but that's a pointless conversation because what's done is done.

T.C. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:00 pm people talk about petro like army told him to fuck off and GTFO. he was offered a very competitive deal. he chose slightly more money and term. it was his decision to leave.

that was a great hit.
Actually we offered 1 extra year (8 years) and overall slightly more money. Sure seemed to me his mind was made up from the get go that he wanted a change of scenery. That's fine. Hopefully Army has a kick ass off season, that's all I can say.

yeah but wasn't there something about the way it was structured where he would technically get more money per year in vegas? that's how i remember it. a really dumb reason to make a life-changing decision in the context of what he's doing, so yeah i'm with you - seemed like he was leaving regardless before even getting into negotiations. i think he never mentally recovered from being made benn's bitch. ;)

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm
T.C. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:00 pm people talk about petro like army told him to fuck off and GTFO. he was offered a very competitive deal. he chose slightly more money and term. it was his decision to leave.

that was a great hit.
Actually we offered 1 extra year (8 years) and overall slightly more money. Sure seemed to me his mind was made up from the get go that he wanted a change of scenery. That's fine. Hopefully Army has a kick ass off season, that's all I can say.
I think that's probably off base. Supposedly he was totally caught off guard when the Krug signing came in. I think he was very much on the fence. I'm not pointing the finger at either party, but I think if Petro had a do over, he'd go about things differently, even if he still ended up in Vegas.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Petro always said he was going to test free agency and Armstrong really couldn't let Petro leave him hanging high and dry.

They both did what they felt they had to do. No hard feelings for either guy from me.
Like Turk says, Fuck him. He was Captain of a Cup team here and got offered a max deal and still didn't jump at it. Legacy, captaincy, statue, gunning for 2nd Cup was all outweighed by his desire for an opportunity to bolt. Yep, like Turk says, Fuck him. I hope Montreal takes that series.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Petro always said he was going to test free agency and Armstrong really couldn't let Petro leave him hanging high and dry.

They both did what they felt they had to do. No hard feelings for either guy from me.
Like Turk says, Fuck him. He was Captain of a Cup team here and got offered a max deal and still didn't jump at it. Legacy, captaincy, statue, gunning for 2nd Cup was all outweighed by his desire for an opportunity to bolt. Yep, like Turk says, Fuck him. I hope Montreal takes that series.
Im with you, Bill. Once you step out that door, fuck you...we aren't brothers any more, brother.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 am

Im with you, Bill. Once you step out that door, fuck you...we aren't brothers any more, brother.
How long does it last? Is it Fuck Hull? Fuck Pronger? Fuck Eric Boguniecki?

Does he have to accept the Blues offer right away because of all of those things or is he allowed to negotiate? Armstrong got tired of waiting and pivoted to Krug so he wouldn't be without a plan B. Petro obviously had finances as part of his motivation, but it wasn't remotely as if he wasn't considering staying. He took too long for Armstrong's comfort, he wasn't just licking his chops for "an opportunity to bolt".

I'm not saying you have to agree with his decision or anything (I would've taken 8x8 and stayed), but don't make stuff up.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 am

Does he have to accept the Blues offer right away because of all of those things or is he allowed to negotiate? Armstrong got tired of waiting and pivoted to Krug so he wouldn't be without a plan B. Petro obviously had finances as part of his motivation, but it wasn't remotely as if he wasn't considering staying. He took too long for Armstrong's comfort, he wasn't just licking his chops for "an opportunity to bolt".

I'm not saying you have to agree with his decision or anything (I would've taken 8x8 and stayed), but don't make stuff up.
I'm not making anything up. If the guy wanted to stay, he would of stayed. It would of happened. How can you say he wasn't interested in a change of scenery? The guy left!!!! If he wanted to stay it would of happened. Obviously Army could sense the bull shit going on so he made his move. After X amount of time it's obvious his heart wasn't here. That's why Army made the move. Let him go, hope Vegas crumbles.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 am

Hull and Pronger didn't choose to leave. Love Hull................Love Pronger.................and Boguniecki was unbelievably good on the NHL video game :D

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 am

I'm not making anything up. If the guy wanted to stay, he would of stayed. It would of happened. How can you say he wasn't interested in a change of scenery? The guy left!!!! If he wanted to stay it would of happened. Obviously Army could sense the bull shit going on so he made his move. After X amount of time it's obvious his heart wasn't here. That's why Army made the move. Let him go, hope Vegas crumbles.
I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. My point your assertion that "if he wanted to stay he would of stayed" or that all of his legacy incentives with the Blues were "outweighed by his desire to bolt" are both total conjecture. Of course he was considering leaving, but he was still considering the lesser offer from the Blues. It's ok for him to try to get more out of the Blues. Is he just supposed to take the first offer Army gives him because he's the captain and they might retire his number some day? I think the opposite is true. Conversely, It's ok for the Blues to sign another defenseman in his place. It's the latter that actually happened. You and I don't know what he would've done if Krug hadn't signed before Petro made up his mind. He very well may have still gone to Vegas, but who knows? Certainly not you or me. I don't fault Army for moving on, but I don't fault Petro for weighing his options. He took too long to decide, so he lost the power. He didn't decide to leave until it was literally impossible for him to return.

I don't care if Vegas wins or loses. I guess ideally I'd like to see them lose in the Final to Tampa, because those games would be more fun to watch than any other combination of remaining teams.

Pronger would get you pregnant

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:35 am

Hull and Pronger didn't choose to leave. Love Hull................Love Pronger.................and Boguniecki was unbelievably good on the NHL video game :D
Depends on how you look at it. With some of his "Me First," antics like firing a puck at Q, telling Keenan, "I don't serve penalties," browbeating younger less talented players, etc., Hull finally made it impossible for the Blues to keep him. No doubt about his HOF ability, but the Blues would have been wise to have followed thru with the trade Keenan had lined up. Instead, he left with nothing in return.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:35 am

Depends on how you look at it. With some of his "Me First," antics like firing a puck at Q, telling Keenan, "I don't serve penalties," browbeating younger less talented players, etc., Hull finally made it impossible for the Blues to keep him. No doubt about his HOF ability, but the Blues would have been wise to have followed thru with the trade Keenan had lined up. Instead, he left with nothing in return.

Anyway the Habs evened the series last night in a game they genuinely outplayed Vegas. Wasn't an instance where Price stole it or Fleury let in a softie or two. I thought this series might be a sweep, but maybe Montreal's got more juice than I gave them credit for. That or Vegas took their foot off the gas. Since Isles-Tampa could easily go 7, Vegas should really be motivated to pour it on the Habs and finish it as early as they can.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 pm Anyway the Habs evened the series last night in a game they genuinely outplayed Vegas. Wasn't an instance where Price stole it or Fleury let in a softie or two. I thought this series might be a sweep, but maybe Montreal's got more juice than I gave them credit for. That or Vegas took their foot off the gas. Since Isles-Tampa could easily go 7, Vegas should really be motivated to pour it on the Habs and finish it as early as they can.
I don't think the Habs are going to be the pushovers a lot of people think they will be. Vegas is going to have their hands full with this team. The Habs have a legitimate shot at taking out Vegas based on what I have seen. The next 2 games in Montreal will tell the tale.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:47 pm Go Montreal!
Fuck Vegas.
Yeah. Feel bad for Fleury that he had a Jon Casey moment but happy Montreal pulled it off. Huge win. Funny that it was like 5 seconds before the misplay that Regis said it was Fleurys puck handling that was the difference :lol: