Re: 2021 Playoff Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 am
barnburner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am

Petro is about to have his name on the cup twice
Not thrilled about that, but it's better than a Kroenke team!
Sure seems like it will be that way, or Maroon AGAIN
Barry Trotz just put this post up on the bulletin board. Frankly he should probably be spending his time figuring out how to stop the Tampa PP instead of lurking on fan forums of teams he hasn't played all year, but he's the one with the ring and all those wins.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am Vegas-Montreal
Islanders-Lightning

Two fun teams vs two boring teams. Since our favorite team (that is objectively boring) was knocked out early, I've just been rooting for the fun teams. I'm hoping for a Vegas-Tampa final for pure entertainment value. The Islanders have been more fun to watch than expected, but still, give me Tampa. I know a lot of people on here want Vegas to lose for reasons I absolutely understand, but I just like watching them play hockey. I'd rather they lose to Tampa in the final, but I rarely get what I want.
I'd like Isles/Habs

New York vs Montreal :cool:
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:39 pm Anybody but Vegas. Fuck DeBoer.
I agree. Don’t want Vegas to advance.

I was surprised to read that the Canadiens led the NHL in hits this past season.

At first I didn’t feel too good about Montreal’s chances of beating Vegas, but I started thinking about that Habs defense and it is big and physical. The sooner Petry is back in the better. But that D will level the playing field and give Montreal a chance.

Vegas is hardly a shoe in to win this. I think Tampa will give them all sorts of problems and beat them in the Final, if that’s the way it ends up. Vegas looked pretty average against the Wild, and then exposed a talented, but vulnerable team in Colorado......shaky defense, and skittish goalie when things get tough. The best chance Vegas has is to beat Montreal in 5 games that aren’t overly physical, and then hope Tampa and the Islanders go 7 hard games.

ps - if Fleury wasn’t playing out of his head, Vegas wouldn’t look that good. Can he keep it up for two more rounds? We’ll see.

Matangama wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 pm Vegas is hardly a shoe in to win this. I think Tampa will give them all sorts of problems and beat them in the Final, if that’s the way it ends up. Vegas looked pretty average against the Wild, and then exposed a talented, but vulnerable team in Colorado......shaky defense, and skittish goalie when things get tough. The best chance Vegas has is to beat Montreal in 5 games that aren’t overly physical, and then hope Tampa and the Islanders go 7 hard games.

ps - if Fleury wasn’t playing out of his head, Vegas wouldn’t look that good. Can he keep it up for two more rounds? We’ll see.
The Rodney Dangerfield of goalies during his career. I’ve never seen a goalie as good as MAF that’s been written off so many times. He’s always been damn good in my book.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:37 pm
Matangama wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 pm Vegas is hardly a shoe in to win this. I think Tampa will give them all sorts of problems and beat them in the Final, if that’s the way it ends up. Vegas looked pretty average against the Wild, and then exposed a talented, but vulnerable team in Colorado......shaky defense, and skittish goalie when things get tough. The best chance Vegas has is to beat Montreal in 5 games that aren’t overly physical, and then hope Tampa and the Islanders go 7 hard games.

The Rodney Dangerfield of goalies during his career. I’ve never seen a goalie as good as MAF that’s been written off so many times. He’s always been damn good in my book.
To think how close those idiots came to dumping him in the offseason for cap reasons. I’m guessing there are a few teams that passed on him and are kicking themselves right now.

Matangama wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 pm

To think how close those idiots came to dumping him in the offseason for cap reasons. I’m guessing there are a few teams that passed on him and are kicking themselves right now.
Like most goalies that have managed to stick around this long, he's had a dry spell now and then, bit mostly, he's been money in the bank.

barnburner wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Like most goalies that have managed to stick around this long, he's had a dry spell now and then, bit mostly, he's been money in the bank.
Flower is missed in Pittsburgh.
To be fair to Pens fans who wanted to move on from him when Fleury is bad, he is really really bad.

barnburner wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 pm

In the Pens fans defense, he had a couple of playoff rounds where he couldn't stop a puck.

That was really painful to watch.

barnburner wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm Isles are playing perfect playoff hockey.
Compliments of that ex-Nashville, ex- Washington coach. If Nashville had hung on to him, they would probably have a Cup by now.
Maybe. Though I think Nashville’s personnel decisions have been bad the past few years.
Starting with Weber for Subban.
Johansen sucks so does Duchene.
Then dumping Fiala?
Woof.
Scotty Bowman would have trouble willing Johansen Duchene led teams to the promised land.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:52 pm
barnburner wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm Isles are playing perfect playoff hockey.
Compliments of that ex-Nashville, ex- Washington coach. If Nashville had hung on to him, they would probably have a Cup by now.
Maybe. Though I think Nashville’s personnel decisions have been bad the past few years.
Starting with Weber for Subban.
Johansen sucks so does Duchene.
Then dumping Fiala?
Woof.
Scotty Bowman would have trouble willing Johansen Duchene led teams to the promised land.
I don't know that all of those moves were bad at the time. They nearly won a Cup on the backs of Subban and Johanssen. Those two were studs in that run. That Subban-Weber trade will always be fascinating to me, and how the perspectives have changed. At the time it was viewed by and large (but not universally) as a big win for Nashville in the long term. Subban was younger, more explosive offensively, and figured to hold up better in the long run due to age and playing style. A big win now move for Montreal. Fast forward a few years and Subban had 2 really good seasons in Nashville before getting traded and completely losing his game in New Jersey while Weber is the Captain of a final four team logging over 25 minutes a night in the playoffs.

The Duchene and Johanson contracts are just killing them though, and they traded low on Fiala and look dumb for it. Besides letting Trotz go, the managed to get a worse coach at every turn. Trotz>Laviolett>>Hynes. In conclusion, eat shit, Predators.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm Let's check in on Petro's start to the Habs series...
Great open ice hit, I will never get tired of seeing those. Petro was absolutely dominate on the ice last night, it was fun to watch. Led Vegas is shots, blocked shots, takeaways, TOI. He does it all and really controlled the game. He's worth every penny Vegas paid for him.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 pm Let's check in on Petro's start to the Habs series...
Great open ice hit, I will never get tired of seeing those. Petro was absolutely dominate on the ice last night, it was fun to watch. Led Vegas is shots, blocked shots, takeaways, TOI. He does it all and really controlled the game. He's worth every penny Vegas paid for him.
He's a good hockey player! I just wanted to give the board what it wants.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 am
He's a good hockey player! I just wanted to give the board what it wants.
Yes, I liked that clip.