Re: I'll bite, Blues Avs 2.0

Sad way to lose a game. They had puck possession with no pressure on them. O'Reilly should have just skated the puck around the net, and then taken a look at where his teammates were, to decide where to pass it when an opponent would approach him. This was their best chance to keep possession into The Av's zone, and they could have had the last good shot and chance to win in regulation, and almost guaranteeing the single point for the tie. The Blues definitely need to play with more confidence, They had too much trying to slap the puck out of their own zone, just to remove pressure, but The Avs are so deep in skilled puckhandling, fast skaters, that all that does is lose possession, either with the puck going to an Av player inside the zone, or them skating it right back into The Blues' Zone a couple seconds later, with 4 or 5 Avs entering at full speed. The Blues don't play with confidence and poise against any team except maybe The Sharks, since their rash of injuries started. I think it will take a lot of luck (things going unusually right) for them to make the playoffs. That includes Parayko returning very soon, and being back to 100% right away, and Tarasenko, Schenn, Kyrou, O'Reilly, and Perron getting on hot streaks, and Krug playing over his head most of the rest of the way - and both Binnington and Husso getting really hot.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:44 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 pm Gee.. I just saw an Avs player take O'Reilly down with his feet.... and it wasn't a penalty.
I was SCREAMING at the TV at this!!!!
It's only a penalty if it happens on an even numbered day , in an even numbered month, in an odd numbered year ,,, and a Blues player does it to a player on a Kroenke owned team. It's right there in the fucking video.

BlueinNy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Robb_K wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 pm The Blues are storming the net, for a change and getting good rebound chances! Great play by Thomas! He should have scored 5-hole.
Puck kinda rolled on him or I think he would have.
That happens to Thomas a lot, because he's unsure what he's going to do, and then waits too long to react to the change in circumstances caused by what the goalie does reacting to his move, or guessing what Thomas is going to do. I think he practises passing too much, and not enough of driving the net against a goalie and trying out the different moves he can make, and getting used to adjusting his release on-the-fly, reacting to what the goalie does, and even what to do as soon as the puck starts to roll or slide. It's not 2nd nature to him, like it is to NHL high-level finishers. I think he's had that deficit all through his hockey career. While most of us were practising a lot one on one vs. a goalie, he was practising making fancy passes. He really needs to work on his near-net scoring moves.

Robb_K wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:27 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Robb_K wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 pm The Blues are storming the net, for a change and getting good rebound chances! Great play by Thomas! He should have scored 5-hole.
Puck kinda rolled on him or I think he would have.
That happens to Thomas a lot, because he's unsure what he's going to do, and then waits too long to react to the change in circumstances caused by what the goalie does reacting to his move, or guessing what Thomas is going to do. I think he practises passing too much, and not enough of driving the net against a goalie and trying out the different moves he can make, and getting used to adjusting his release on-the-fly, reacting to what the goalie does, and even what to do as soon as the puck starts to roll or slide. It's not 2nd nature to him, like it is to NHL high-level finishers. I think he's had that deficit all through his hockey career. While most of us were practising a lot one on one vs. a goalie, he was practising making fancy passes. He really needs to work on his near-net scoring moves.
Yeah, I was kind of mad at Thomas for not getting that shot off, but the puck did roll on him but then again if his mind was made up to get the shot off first touch he might of gotten it. The fact that he doesn’t shoot enough is maddening.

Robb_K wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:08 pm... I think it will take a lot of luck (things going unusually right) for them to make the playoffs. That includes Parayko returning very soon, and being back to 100% right away, and Tarasenko, Schenn, Kyrou, O'Reilly, and Perron getting on hot streaks, and Krug playing over his head most of the rest of the way - and both Binnington and Husso getting really hot.
You forgot:
(1) Bobby Plager being resurrected today alongside Jesus, to replace Parayko;
(2) The Risen Lord replacing Berube behind the bench, with Scotty Bowman as his assistant & Emile Francis taking over Army's duties (from his Heavenly Sky Box - The Cat has used up all of his 9 lives);
(3) Gary Unger donating his hair to Red Berenson, and Red replacing ROR as the #1 centerman;
(4) Glen Hall being hired as full-time goaltending coach, to teach Binner & Husso how to spin around in the crease to confuse & frustrate opponent shooters; and
(5) Outgoing (officially, not emotionally) St. Louis mayor Lyda Krewson issuing one last executive order, this one to allow full capacity crowds @ Enterprise Center again so the fans can sing When The Blues Go Marching In non-stop for 60 minutes of play (intermission pauses for beer lubrication of vocal cords plus Ernie Hayes also temporarily raised from the dead & signed to a contract through the Stanley Cup Finals).

I've watched the McKinnon goal replay several times, its Husso giving him too much room shortsighted. Its my contention that its a softie, if he was hugging the post and gets beat by a good pass cross ice so be it, but you can't show McKinnon that much goal and not expect him to shoot.