FTP: Blues @ Ducks 03/03/2021

Next win against the Ducks, next FTP!

The original thread link is here:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... c.2807657/

Page number: 1

The possession numbers would make believe we should be 5-2-0. Should be, but we discover the team also stops skating for a period or two. I'd rather be winning ugly than losing with nice possession numbers.
Anaheim needs to learn how to clamp down defensively again if they are to try to come out with at least a point. We do not possess the man power to win in a shootout as we have never won one this season thus far.
The Ducks need to start a winning streak. Winning this season means more as we get to leap frog other teams in our division at their expense. Gibby, we need elite Gibby back to have that chance.
From the words by Rage Against the Machine, "Rally round tha family!" Let's go, Ducks!

NBCSN? Gross. They should stick to the teams out East they love. Pitt, Phily, NYR, Boston, Wash.
edit: just checked the schedule and this is a back to back broadcast after Washington-Boston

How many players will Binnington pretend to punch?

National TV broadcast? So the game is almost guaranteed to start 15-20 minutes later than scheduled, meaning more waiting for this absolute crap.

Gibson won't allow that... I am sure he is filled with frustration as well...

I'm not sure I'm ready to be hurt again.

Ducks website says it's on Prime as well

As long as our young guys keep taking steps I don't much care if we win or lose. We aren't going anywhere, just want to see game to game progress and who is going to step up to be our new core.
Also, please Eakins, play a lineup that makes more sense. If terry is out again then he is either nursing a secret injury or he is trade bait.

I'm not sure my liver is ready again

St. Louis tends to score in bunches against us and we always play terrible on national broadcasts so I can't say I have high hopes for this one

Feels like the last time they got a win, Dinosaurs were still roaming the Earth.

I don't have high hopes but it has nothing to do with the team the ducks are playing or what channel they're on.

I think we're due for a random win. Losing streak ends at 7. You heard it first here

I imagine that tonight we'll see if Zegras/Lundy/Raks lasts for more than one period when Lundestrom was on fire.

The Ducks are currently 0-11-5 when an opposing team scores more than once, ironically though the team has yet to be shutout

I really think Zegs get on the board tonight. Last game was his best by far.

Zegras will get at least a point because I'm not watching this game. Work getting in the way

Well, looks like jones is out for sure.

Jones took a pretty nasty high stick last game, probably just giving him a rest game

Milano staying in is interesting, also gonna be curious to see how that fourth line does if they're deployed as Grant's lines have been, but nice to see Heinen back in.

Page number: 2

That third line has potential to do damage, if Rakell can finish some passes

Milano in over jones is just ridiculous. Almost the perfect collection of players though.

Jones might be recovering from the high stick still.

Young gun Dan Heinen with the hatty tonight

I think this is just Milano getting his last look. He will be traded/waived if he doesn't do anything before April

Maybe they are letting him rest his face after last game. That was a pretty vicious hit he took

Embarrassing lineup, A concussion prone Backes is your toughest player.
I can't imagine how boring this game will be

Trying to get scoring up and down the line up. Not a bad idea. At this point just keep playing the kids. Unless they go on a 6 game winning streak (Not happening) there really is no reason to look at the Standings anymore. It's more about individual performance now and focusing more on the kids.

As well as I do. He's been one of the best players recently

Grant and Nicolas being on the bench is the right call.
Don't agree about Jones...he has pretty much been the only consistent net front presence and been quite effective.

Edit didn't see the lineup above

Steel must have the same agent as Shatty. Both deserve to be out of the lineup, but they both are being kept on the ice.

Games on NBC are trash. Can't remember not starting late.

Game on, Garth!

That turnover in his own zone is exactly why terry sits even on a team with lots of bad forwards

Lines have zero chemistry. At least they're playing faster and the forecheck seems engaged

Decent pace so far

We have no attack

Fowler never played with Niedermayer Hayward

I didn't think so either.

Not that I should care, but I wonder what someone watching this game on national TV must think of our group. Who are these randos?

Nice diving.

Ducks have had some decent segments but overall being outplayed

That replay made it look awful, holy crap

Page number: 3

This league is the greatest. Minimal contact, but you've been trapped in your own zone for an eternity, so we're calling it

Hakanpää went to far out there.

Getzlaf has to make that pass.

One of Silf or Getzy screwed up bad there

This team is so bad

That looked way too easy.

Sigh. Refusing to defend the top of the crease on the PK yet again.

He had to, both forwards were on the other side chasing the puck

Gibson's lateral movement is slow and/or disinterested lately

Funny thing, Blues complaining that their power play is bad.

It is like the Ducks are playing the season like pre-season. Eakins is just coaching to see what he has. No attempt to win.
John

Just no answers for their forecheck

Maybe it's the commentary or the way the Ducks are playing.
So ....boring.

Thought that was it, have to finish that. What a boring period.

Zegras needed to have that, ugh

Blues are missing 4 of their best players and are thoroughly the better team. Shows the gap in talent

I tuned in just in time to see Zegras whiff on a wide open net. How'd that period go overall?

Might have been the most boring period of the season.
It's hard to recall what even happened.

Nothing accomplished offensively, hemmed in a few times, terrible penalty kill. The rest was mostly neutral zone stuff.

He has caught the Duck flu.

Every period is the most boring period

Just got home and was going to ask the same question. Will the answer change if I do?

This team is so inconsistent that it just might.

Someone get to the front of the net for the love of god. At both ends

Just tuned in.

Page number: 4

What a shit offside call

Terry is in? Good puck battle win.

I love Backes. Old school hockey player. Reminds me of Kesler

Terry is out? HF Ducks pout.

Kind of weird to think that backes is out there being enforcer against a team he used to captain

Rooch.

Zero chance that Backes doesn't get a fight tonight.

That was a bit of a can opener on zegras behind the net.

Was that not a trip on Zegras?

So...Lundestrom line was on the ice for like 15 seconds, forces an icing...then Eakins immediately puts his 4th line in? And then puts Lundy back out when they get fresh people on the ice????

Doesn't want him taking the draws. Lesson learned.

I never thought I'd say this but I really wouldn't mind bringing back Backes on a 1 year 800k deal. He's such a great mentor for the young guys

Max Jones is about the only guy that plays with any aggression in that area

Monster shift for Getzlaf

We have too many forwards wearing jersey numbers in the 40's

I see which way the marginal calls are going.

He can't skate (although he looks faster than last season) but can still do everything else at a really good level. Would be happy to have him back and see him hit 1000 games.

Cool.

We have too many forwards deserving to wear jersey numbers in the 40's.

Ducks need a player like Krug

Oof.

Sigh

Good thing we have Va- oh wait.
Well, at least we have Mon- nope.

The hell hutton? Move your damn feet.

Page number: 5

In their dreams.

We've got Shattenkirk

Hockey fans who only watch our games on national broadcasts during the regular season over the last 15 years or so must think we're the most boring, sad sack idiot team that ever played.

It's not far off anymore.

Well, he's definitely offensive.

This sucks.

That was absolutely pathetic. Just keep retreating...

This Kyrou keeps impressing. What a player

Getzlaf makes sneaky good move to create space at his own blue line and looks to stretch it only to see 2 guys right on top of each other in the same lane lol.
Also, Hutton is having another rough one tonight

LOL what the hell happened on that Blues rush. Just invite them into the zone why don't you.

Better than those two at this point.
He's been pretty good tonight and you can tell because there's basically no posts about him in this thread.

Who else but our elite scorer!

Getzlaf with another monster shift. Terry did his best to blow it.

Great pass by Getz

Lol no idea how Terry didnt score that
Which is to say, Comtois!!!

Terry's whiff is forever immortalized in the replay of comtois's goal

Haha HOW DID TERRY NOT SCORE IN THE FIRST PLACE. But hooray!

Maxi Pad!

That glorious Quebecois flow.

That is going to be an unassisted goal isn't it lmfao Terry absolutely refuses to get on the score sheet even when he makes the right read and finds open space

Great pass by Terry

That's Terry and Comtois in a nutshell

Unlucky by Terry but in the right place, great follow up by Comtois.
That was all Getzlaf though.

Comtois is definitely a poor man's Perry, sneaky good moves and he knows where to be to capitalize on chances.

Gonna play more games in terrys head keep missing goals like that
On another note, comtois development is surprising this year

Page number: 6

Comtois does it again! Amazing.

Comtois knows that you need to get in front of the net

Good thought process from Terry there, made the right decision.

Oh, Henrique's in this?

Completely forgot milano is playing.

Fowler knocked a guy over on purpose. This is a weird season.

Something about Silfverberg. That entire line has been a bunch of meh

What a save. Bennington is a bit of a weird guy.

Silf is almost supposed to be invisible. Not so much those other two

This is where Eakins needs to double shift lines, and not just roll lines. I mean twice now in back to back games he put out the 4th line after the other team iced the puck. Why??

Damn, almost. Great effort

Come on henrique...
Well, last 10 minutes were entertaining at least.

You stupid f***ers, stop hitting the post.

Wish the Ducks got those tacky ass calls in their favor

I think that Silfv-Rico-Milano line is a great bottom 6 line combo.

Comtois is an easy guy to like.

no reason to take backes out of the lineup. he's good at getting pucks to the net and that's what this team needs more of since they can't score to save their lives

Swap Milano for Jones and maybe Backes for Grant until rowney is back.

We spend every game wanting to swap guys....send guys down... Etc etc.
GM, Coach, Players, and us lol, never satisfied.

Gotta waive someone to do that is the only problem

Starting to think there's not much there for Milano except speed. At least Jones is a net front presence who will forecheck, kill penalties and hit

He hasn't impressed me at all. I don't think I've ever seen him make a good decision with the puck.

Very un-zegras like bobble.

Even perron was shocked he didn't get called for a hold behind the net.

Boy, hutton is struggling

Page number: 7

Two guys on the backdoor and both missed that.

Jesusssss.

Nice shift for Terry. Zegras struggling a bit

Terry looked good out there

another post? good lord

Getzlaf juuuuuuust a bit outside

That was a good play by milano to corral that pass and gain the zone. Sadly that isn't a routine play for this squad.

Getz has his moments where he looks old, but there's a big difference in how he's playing with Milano/Jones vs. Comtois/Terry for obvious reasons.

We've done a good job competing in their crease tonight.

Terry needs to learn to crash the net better for cheap goals. Perry made a career out of doing that

oh for f*ck's sake

Comtois having a wonderful game. Taking a beating in the crease but keeps showing up.

Calling first zegras point here.

Penalty saved a goal for now.

Nope

I feel like Dominic Moore is rooting for us.

Milano over steel on the PP is very questionable.

Let's amend this to just plain bad.
There's the back of shattenkirk's jersey.

He weighs 150 pounds

Basically Comtois right now:

What if he just never gets a point.

There might be power plays that look as bad, but this is the only team in the league where their PP consistently shifts momentum to the opponent

Can't discount the possibility.

Sigh. The slowest team in the league play dump and chase.

With Zegras on his back.

Page number: 8

He needs to buffen up and start hitting and fighting too

God damnit hank. He could've crushed that guy but let up and then took a stupid penalty.

i'd love to see terry and zegras drop the gloves
actually, no i wouldn't

Now they're calling trips. Ok.

Terry doing his best to stay in the lineup. Has been one of the most dangerous forwards in the 2nd half of the game

Like with each other?

no, not with each other

Just fight some people like the paul kariya types

That's a f***ing hold on schenn. Are these guys blind??

Oh ok, thanks.

Steel getting held for like 10 seconds there should warrant a call given some of the garbage that has resulted in penalties in this game

That was on shat

I spy the back of shattenkirk's jersey.

Shattenkirk you weak ass dman

Why the f*** is Shattenkirk out on the PK, Eakins management of him is bad

Why is 22 on the PK at all, clear out the special teams coaches.

Just brutal

Oh. That's what a powerplay is supposed to look like.

Might have something to do with Hakanpaa being in the box

So are Blues 3 goals on 3 power plays? That's not good PK.

Balls

Good job shatt.

Penalties just don't count against us.

Shattenkirk is whatever anchors use as anchors.

Gravity?

Page number: 9

Garbagio

One of the worst offseason acquisitions in recent memory. Wtf was bm thinking?

We haven't been awful at even strength but we are just finding new ways to lose at this point. 8 losses in a row now

Mahura looks decent.

Welp... it's a bottle episode.

Can we now finally send Zegras back to the Gulls? he hasn't made any difference, the team has lost every game and can't score goals

Shattenkirk has been great this game lol

Was just thinking the same. Our PK would be top3 in the league if not for the Blues games.

Hopefully they can make a push and make these last few minutes worth watching.

And their PP might be dead last without us, such a weird dynamic.

I can't think of a single team other than the Ducks that puts up this pathetic of an effort when trailing late in a game.

Blatant knee in the corner.

But I'm sufficiently being lulled to sleep with this, it's better than nyquil.

Perfect, waited until the game is pretty much done.

Sundqvist is a POS, always has been.

Hahaha love it.
"Hakanpaa activates"

How is taking out Fowler's knee not a penalty?

Need more milano please.

Need a goal and Milano is on the 6 on 4, come on Eakins..

Milano is useless.

Zegras has had a rough one

Milano leads the team in unearned ice time.

Are we over Milano yet

Is eakins gone yet?

I don't care how much he is struggling, steel is a better player than milano all day.

Page number: 10

Zegras leads all forwards in ice time.

Does this team practice lol

Is comtois really who we want taking one timers? Get him in the crease.

Actually a forgivable error by Ahlers, how are you gonna have a 6on4 coming out of a timeout with Silf over Rakell? Jeez Eakins

That's pretty incredible. Nobody can bitch he isn't getting a fair shake.

Fowler is the worst player with an extra skater. He never holds the line and every f***ing shot gets blocked.

Even Hazy is sick of Shattenkirk

Well, there's his point. Fowler not holding the puck at the line ruined it for me haha.

Lol of course. Congrats zegras on the point at least.

and hopefully it's a realization to the GM he belongs in the minors still

Rakell time

Dang, that'll be a bittersweet memory for Z.

Does Zegras get a point there? St Louis player clearly knocked it to Rakell but sometimes they ignore that.

Point or not, nice effort from Z

yay for point

Frustrating game. Played a good game against a better team, got unlucky with the calls and bounces.
They cannot lose the special teams battle and expect to win.

Half thia team belongs in the minors

Grats to Zegras if he gets a point this time. He drove that last play and earned it.
Well, this team is uh...how you say...bad?

I will give them credit for not quitting two games in a row.

Z with his first point. Well deserved. Nice shot by Rakell. I'm ok with the loss, they fought they just cannot finish when they need to. Kept the game interesting again.

Yeah, effort not a problem.

Fowler with the least deserving assist of his career there. Can't hold the line, costs us valuable seconds and makes a routine pass to a guy who does all the work before we score with seconds to go. Lol.

Please send Zegras back down. The experiment failed and you're risking confidence issues by keeping him around at this point. He's just not ready, and playing for the worst team in the league isn't going to help with that.

Get jones in for milano, rotate backes and grant, shelter shattenkirk on the third pairing when manson and lindholm are back (won't happen).

Right now they should just play the kids and get the lines more set and build chemistry. I wouldn't play the Grant line and send Shattenkirk anywhere but on the ice. This team may actually play decent if they get to play together for more than a few games. There is no point in shuffling lines at this point.
John

Page number: 11

They probably practiced penalty kill between games.

Folwer couldnt hold the line a handful of times tonight on the PP. That's rough for a guy who treats the blueline like he's leashed to it.

I hate foreshadowing that our PK play was eroding with my GDT opener. St. Louis had 3 pp opportunities and scored on all three. bleah. Hampus, please hurry back! Manson, please hurry back to move Shatty to the third pairing. Our PP failed us tonight.

8 losses in a row and we have to play Colorado this weekend. Good god

Kevin Dineen's alt account.

our points% is only a little better than Ottawa and Buffalo, 8 straight losses.
Wonder when something gives

We play the good teams pretty well, it's the mediocre/bad teams that dominate us.

Ducks are actually weirdly pretty good against the Avs. but yeah, it's been awful streak, and they may very struggle this weekend.

Z is learning a lot while up here. I am sure in a few games he will be sent down to the ahl and feel as if he has all the time in the world to make plays.

I'd rather have Fla Fla Flow Hi playing instead of that piece of sh*t pylon.

Nuh uh.
I just don't see the point of keeping him in the NHL anymore. And from a points per game perspective, the Ducks ARE the worst team in the league right now. That's just a fact. Let the kid gain some confidence in the AHL. He's CLEARLY not ready. Nice to see him get his first point though.

Why can't they get Mahura on the PP? Shattenkirk and Fowler are flat horrible.

That's all I read

Let's see Comtois scores again, Terry and Zegras pick up points and looked very good. Rakell has 2 goals in 3 games. So really not the end of the world. Missing Lindholm and Manson, need to solidify a Top 4D and that will hopefully happen with Drysdale. I mean 5 on 5 I think they were the better team. Ironically their PK failed them which had been good all season. This team finds ways to lose.
I also love Dominic Moore, loved him in NY. He really was rooting for Anaheim because he knows they have the shit stacked up against them but are not throwing the towel in and getting blown out of games.

Mahura has talent for sure, but they're going to run this shattenkirk thing straight into the ground

I have made appropriate corrections, you are welcome.

He's one of the few (if any others) who can do it.

I agree, he probably should be sent down but it doesn't feel like that's on the verge of happening.

That doesn't mean he's good at it though, or where he's most dangerous. He caused havoc in the crease all game, don't know why Eakins would want to change something that was working.

I'd prefer Fowler up there with Zegras for the time being. Shattenkirk just F's everything up and doesn't even shoot. Have a QB in Zegras and you can see the difference but need a shooter on that other point. I wonder if Drysdale could be that guy on the other point with Z, like they did in SD.

Didn't see the whole game but from what I saw Getzlaf outside of his 3 absolute stinker games post injury is still our best forward. That first goal is all him and he continues to drive play and create quality chances.

I'd prefer a guy that can hold the zone and put the puck on the net.

Comtois on a cool 32 goal, 53 point pace over 82 games.
Perry at age 22 went for 29 goals, 54 points. Just saying.

If Drysdale ends up playing like Fowler I'll cry.

It actually looks like sustainable production this time around also, unlike when he first came into the league. His shooting percentage may drop a bit but he's noticeably dangerous every game and is getting lots of good chances.

Page number: 12

I would imagine being on a better team will help as well. Hopefully the other kids start taking similar steps as he and lundestrum.

I had the opportunity to watch Detroit a lot of years back in a few practices
Chelios and Lidstrom were working on keeping pucks in at the blue line and moving the puck to someone
Then In warm ups before the games right before going off the ice before the game with the Ducks, Chelios had another player firing pucks towards the point along the board and Chelios was working on snaring the puck off the boards and shooting it towards the net.
finny how we could never seem to clear the puck when those two were in the ice!
Between not holding the line and Wearing out opponents shin pads, I really wonder what Cam is doing sometimes

I see a lot more upside offensively than Cam. It will help if we don't rush him like we did with Fowler also.

I'm not sure what we gain by sending Zegras down. I mean does it matter if he has more confidence and comes back to the same teammates? This team isn't changing anytime soon. There are no elite FA's waiting in the wings to be signed. You just put the best lines together and see if they can build something. Right now it is just throwing it against the wall hoping something will stick.
John

Hot damn, zegras played 20 minutes tonight.

Cam's normally great at holding the line, at least I've always thought. He missed one there, it happens.

Can't believe we waived Djoos with these defensemen we are playing.

We're the worst team in the league right now. Even Buffalo that are being ridiculed are better than us last 10 games.

I love the skills that Drysdale will bring to Ducks' PP, but it will take a change in administration for him to be playing on it.

Hes so bad at the end of games. Literally can't hold line or shoots into shin pad out of the zone.

Couple more stats: Comtois, Hank, and Lundestrum are the only plus players on the team at the moment (welinski is as well, but only three games played).

Probably too much IMO. He wasn't burnt out or anything but with some exceptions I don't think any forward should play 20 in a 60 minute game.

I mean, yes he can hold the line lol, and he's been fine at the end of games throughout his career. But you'll see what you want to see, I suppose.

I think they are actually very different players. Both great skaters and notnhyper aggressive out there but Drysdale is much more skilled and better at playmaking.

The fact that Yzerman picked him up and he's playing regularly for Detroit tells you just how bad our mgmt is.
John

Does it though? Detroit is a worse team than us.

This team needs a coach that can get the young guys believing in themselves. Eakins ia not that guy.. Rememeber babcock in 03? Like that

Detroit will probably end up with more points than we will have and the level of competition in the Central is higher than in the West.
Not that they are a great team, but the worst moniker currently resides in the OC.
John

That team had like three young guys. Chistov, vishnevski, and kurt sauer. It was a pretty vet-heavy roster.
The only player I think has a case against Eakins is terry, really, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes that's getting him scratched.

Eakins was just fine with the young guys in San Diego. And the young guys are the ones getting things done for the Ducks now. You'd have more of a case against Eakins by calling him out for not getting anything out of the vets on this team.
I also sure hope you wouldn't even think to suggest Babcock for this team. He'd have the kids hooked up to lie detectors his first day on the job trying to get in their heads.

They have the same number of points as us despite playing in two more games and us being on an 8 game losing streak. The division competition is also highly debatable at best, the Central isn't very good at all.

I guess you're right. That means Bob Murray is so much better at putting together a winning team than Steve Yzerman.
John
Edit Added: And 2 years from now Shattenkirk will be paid $4.9M. I don't know if there are any players with multiple buyouts, but he could easily become one.

they could lose every game the rest of the season and murray would still be brought back
he must have some incredible dirt on the samuelis

or because he revived our cupboard when Burkie left us with nothing while rebuilding on the fly.
or because Murray had this team as a playoff team for six consecutive seasons
or because Murray had this team win five consecutive Pacific division winners
or because out of 12 years as GM, the team were in the playoffs 8 times
or because the draft is a lifeline to a turnaround for the franchise soon as we're witnessing LW Comtois and C Lundestrom take steps forward this year, F Zegras looks like the real thing, and D Drysdale may end up being better than the real thing
or because the franchise will actually have salary cap available to them after this season to sign more talent
There are a lot of reasons, both historical and future, that Bob has earned the trust. Bob has to play chess to ensure repetitiveness of winning. Unfortunately, massive injuries with no talent depth has paved a way to land a Zegras (9th overall) and Drysdale (6th overall). I almost cringed when I saw the knee to knee contact onto Fowler in this game. Last year we lost Manson, Lindholm and Fowler to injuries. We've already lost Manson and Lindholm.
Today, our best talent wasn't elite in Gibby. He let another goal beat him with the shot going over/around his left pad for two games in a row that we've usually become accustomed to Gibby making. Then again, we the opposing team is 100% on the PP on three PPO's, then you realize how important it is to have a Lindholm, Manson, or both on the ice.

let's not be that fanbase that constantly lives in the past (which in itself is a bad sign)
this is the 4th straight season of mediocrity and for a team like the ducks with not much fan support, it's not smart to go through one losing season after another and not make any changes. what kind of message does that send out? basically that we're ok with losing. it's good seeing comtois and lundestrom make progress and hopefully zegras can follow, but what good will that be when the rest of the team is garbage? gibson and lindholm are the only "veteran" talent left. rakell, silfverberg, and henrique have all regressed very noticeably. fowler somewhat has as well. meanwhile, the "big FA signing" shattenkirk has been a disaster
hoping to contend again by landing high draft picks year after year isn't a recipe for success. and no good FA talent will want to sign with a team that's been a loser for a while now and done nothing about it

Page number: 13

I think we look better than we did at some parts at the start of the year. We are not being outshot that much anymore, but obviously we lack that top end scoring skill on our lineup. And it does not help that our vets are mostly underperforming. We are losing a lot but at least for me there is still fair share of optimism. It was way different in the last Carlyle months, we were not only losing but we were looking absolutely horrible out there.

Another loss - against a team missing at least 8 players. The only good thing out of this is at least they showed effort.

I don't understand why members of the tank squad are bitching. This is what you wanted. You really should just man up and recognize that you forfeit your right to complain about losing when all you want to do is be terrible and lose, or excuse me, "maximize your chance at a high pick," sorry.

Oh my gosh, so many facts ;-) excellent post btw.

Agree with this, I think we look okay. Obviously we are not a good team, or even close to it. But I've seen some improvements in quality of play at least.
The main missing thing is proven offensive point producers obviously. Tough to compete in this league when you don't have that
The steps Lundestrom and Comtois have taken are very encouraging. And I still maintain that Terry is a net positive most of the times he's in the lineup. He ain't perfect(misses open nets often) but he generates chances and can set people
Up in dangerous areas. He got off to an awful start this season with 0 points in his 1st 11 games but quietly has 5 points in his last 9. No, that isn't amazing production but it's a step in the right direction. Zero reason to not play him
Id like to see Steel go down to SD and regain some confidence

Terry looks like a changed player to me, or at least like he can finally be himself at NHL speed. And he looked like that before his most recent scratches so I don't really get that, but whatever. Whatever the coaches are doing with him is working.
And I agree that record aside, we look much better than last year or the year before. PK is top notch and it's not just Gibson, we generate good chances in the offensive zone (that no one finishes, but still...it's working). I still think we're just terrible when the puck is high in our own zone at getting it just a few feet farther past the blue line. So many self-owns in that area of the ice. That and the power play, those two things keep us in the cellar. And some more intangible things like poise and confidence but you can't really coach that at the NHL level I don't think.

Not me. I love close losses. It shows the young kids want to play to win but cant get over the hump

I mean look at teams like Buffalo. So much skill and talent and they are worse than the Ducks. I mean if the Ducks had an Eichel and Dahlin plugged into the line up would immediately see a positive difference.
Zegras and Drysdale will certainly help but it's not enough to turn this ship into being competitive. But I do like the efforts and they are not quitting. Games are at least enjoyable to watch even if they are losing.
They had to play Vegas and St. Louis 9 times already out of 23 games and they struggle against both these teams. Have to play them another 7 times , just not right.

I know this will piss some people off but I kind of dont care about the wins and losses anymore this season.
The Ducks are the worst team in the West, they have no chance of making the playoffs.
As long as the young kids progress then that is all I care about. It is happening.

I am anti-tank, but have to agree with you. It's at the point now where fans have to be realistic.

Why would people be upset. I don't like tanking but given this weird season and where they stand right now I don't care about the wins or losses anymore. Sure like them to win and being competitive but i stopped looking at the standings after the 6th straight loss.
Should be playing the kids more. Comtois, Terry, and Zegras all got on the board and that's a win and all of them looked very good.
This may sound weird but went to bed a little happy because Z got his first point and Rakell seems to be starting to score some goals.

don't know about you, but "the GM tried trading for talent and failed.....but hey, that's good enough" doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement to me
my point was that this franchise can't afford to stay in the basement too long. and it doesn't send out a very promising message when you have 3 straight losing seasons and not make any changes, which like i said, is basically saying "we're ok with losing." expecting zegras and drysdale to come in and become difference makers right away isn't a good idea. that's basically what they already did with steel, jones, terry, etc. i have faith that both zegras and drysdale will play to their potential one day, but it most likely won't be anytime soon. this team seriously lacks any veteran talent outside of gibson and lindholm. and why should anyone have faith in BM to go out and acquire any given his recent track record? it's nice to have a talented prospect pool, but that might pay off when? 22-23 season?

It's already starting to pay off. I notice you just sort of hand-waved Comtois and Lundestrom away as "etc.," lol. Plenty of young players are starting to come along nicely and be contributors right now.

Because some people think that my mentality would put me in the "Tank Squad".
Call it tanking, call it whatever you want. If all the young players progress then I dont care if we lose every game.
I would rather lose with good games from the young players then win with bad games from them.
On a side note, I love Comtois. He can keep cleaning up the garbage goals all the way to 20 goals every season.

no, i mentioned them in my first post and how it's nice to see them making progress
they're the only ones who have taken that next step though. steel has been terrible, while jones and terry are just stagnant. although you can tell the potential is there

You have to acknowledge and remember the good times, sure, but you also have to realize when it's time to part ways with the old guard. Bob has mostly been making terrible decisions since the 2015 offseason.

If ever... just because they're good prospects in minor leagues means nothing to their nhl success

IIRC, we had a lot of close losses in '02 as well. The team played hard and competed, but lacked the offensive production to win games. But there was a foundation there that with some improvements the next year made Anaheim a tough team to play against.

he is on pace for 32 goals over 82 games

I hope management evaluates all the "fringe" or depth talent and makes choices. Larsson might bring back something in a trade right now if they feel Mahura is both ready and a better long term piece. Start planning for the 2022-2023 season and beyond (not saying sell everything and intentionally tank, but have clear goals with every move). That's the season where some of the young guys (Zegras and Drysdale mostly) should be getting the hang of the NHL, the majority of the contracts are off the books, and hopefully guys like Comtois and Lundestrom have continued to improve and are playing key roles. One or two good free agent signings and the Ducks could be a solid playoff team.