Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Kings - Sun 1/24 7:00 - TV:FSMW Radio:101.1

BluesSK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 pm Husso didn't even make that save on the fifth goal. It initially went off the post. That was pretty bad honestly.
Come on, we aren't really blaming him for a complete brain lapse by the defense and a clear breakaway goal? There's plenty of things to question with regard to him and the team, but this just seems like piling on for the sake of making a point.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 am So we are bailing on Husso now? Can we at least give the kid a chance.
Husso hasn't been good at all since 2017-18. I'm not bailing, but I don't expect him to improve to anything near league average anytime soon.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=159892
By all accounts, Husso played pretty good his last season for the Rampage. Certainly well enough that we shouldn't be giving up on him from one start, his first ever. Give him a chance to settle in and if he doesn't do the job then look elsewhere. But it's not like there's a lot of options out there right now as an alternative regardless.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 am So we are bailing on Husso now? Can we at least give the kid a chance.
Husso hasn't been good at all since 2017-18. I'm not bailing, but I don't expect him to improve to anything near league average anytime soon.

By all accounts, Husso played pretty good his last season for the Rampage. Certainly well enough that we shouldn't be giving up on him from one start, his first ever. Give him a chance to settle in and if he doesn't do the job then look elsewhere. But it's not like there's a lot of options out there right now as an alternative regardless.
He was a .909 save % goalie last season. I'm not hating on the kid, I'm just not expecting him to look like a decent NHL goalie anytime soon. I just don't see any evidence that justifies it. I'm sure he'll improve upon his current .817 save %, but Binner is going to need to make 40-45 starts this shortened season if the team wants to compete for the top spot in the division.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

We have Hofer waiting in the wings. Don’t overlook that kid they just drafted either ...Will Cranley. His personality is about as goofy and aloof as you can get. That’s a good sign for a goaltender.
If Husso doesn’t work out we’re gonna be fine. With the way Binner has looked so far, I’m sure Army is anxious to get an extension done.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 am

He was a .909 save % goalie last season. I'm not hating on the kid, I'm just not expecting him to look like a decent NHL goalie anytime soon. I just don't see any evidence that justifies it. I'm sure he'll improve upon his current .817 save %, but Binner is going to need to make 40-45 starts this shortened season if the team wants to compete for the top spot in the division.
So a 910 save% in the AHL means someone can't be backup goalie, what?? With all due respect, that ranked top 20 in the AHL on a team that finished near the bottom of the standings. His GAA was top 15. 6th in the league in shutouts. You're smarter than this. He may not work out, time will tell but that's a weird stat to run to in an attempt to write him off.

Let's watch him actually play, for more than one start, and decide from there. Not from checking hockeydb stats page from games no one watched.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 am

So a 910 save% in the AHL means someone can't be backup goalie, what?? With all due respect, that ranked top 20 in the AHL on a team that finished near the bottom of the standings. His GAA was top 15. 6th in the league in shutouts. You're smarter than this. He may not work out, time will tell but that's a weird stat to run to in an attempt to write him off.

Let's watch him actually play, for more than one start, and decide from there. Not from checking hockeydb stats page from games no one watched.
Never assume I'm smarter than...well anything really. For the record, I hope Husso succeeds and has a nice long NHL career filled with many Cup rings with Blue notes on them. I just don't see a ton of evidence for that being the case, and it's not just that he was slightly worse than the one of the Blackhawks collection of lousy goalies in the AHL last year.

He was great early on in the AHL, but he's never been the same since getting injured in 2018. He never got a look in cups of coffee with the Blues before. You're right, I didn't see all those games in San Antonio last year, so of course I have to look at the stats. Save % is definitely more telling than GAA, which is heavily influenced by the rest of the team. Anywho, the stats obviously don't tell the whole story, but they tell part of it, and they don't build confidence. He was at best a league average AHL goalie last year. That's not confidence inspiring. The Blues absolutely left him out to dry a couple times last night, but nothing else in his performance inspired confidence either.

He's clearly not as bad as his NHL numbers look right now, but the numbers and my eyes don't give me any reason to think that the improvement in his game will reach anything beyond "subpar NHL backup" this season. He's still (sort of) young, so I'm not saying that's his career ceiling, but I'm going to look at every Husso start this season through the spectrom I looked through Chad Johnson starts a few years ago. The team better play great in front of him if they want to win. I hope I'm wrong.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:09 am
BluesSK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 pm Husso didn't even make that save on the fifth goal. It initially went off the post. That was pretty bad honestly.
Come on, we aren't really blaming him for a complete brain lapse by the defense and a clear breakaway goal? There's plenty of things to question with regard to him and the team, but this just seems like piling on for the sake of making a point.
No. On the radio call they made it sound like a spectacular save when in reality he didn't even go from post to post. That's all.

Like I said earlier, if he doesn't pan out Hofer is waiting in the wings. My concerns lie more with the defense.