Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

T.C. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 am
ratonmono wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 am Though I'd likely re-sign Schwartz.
just curious - why? he has been the epitome of the blues. they keep signing him, always hoping this is the year he lives up to his potential, but he always either a) disappoints, b) gets injured, or c) both.
Yep. Good Saskatchewan boy and all, but he's been particularly ineffective this season.

ratonmono wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 am Players I'm keeping w/o question:

O'Reilly
Schenn
Perron
Parayko
Faulk

Players I'm keeping unless it's an offer too good to pass up:

Kyrou
Thomas
Barbashev
Sundqvist

That's it. Everyone else is available or I'm willing to let walk as UFA. Though I'd likely re-sign Schwartz.
Good list, though I'd frame it a little differently as I'd trade anyone for the right offer. These tiers will surely leave some players out, so just assume they're either not interesting or are in the middle somewhere.

Guys you will have to overpay for:
ROR, Schenn, Parayko, Kyrou, Thomas

Market price:
Schwartz, Tarasenko

Chris Butler Chevrolet End of Year Sales Event:
Hoffman, Dunn, Husso, Bozak

I've loved Schwartz, when he's on he's the perfect modern Blues winger. Problem is he's injured or unable to put the puck in the net too often, and I don't see that changing as he enters his 30s on his next contract. He'd be a guy I'd shop, but would want a nice return. Hoffman has been a bad fit, get whatever the best draft pick you can. Bozak has been a good player for the Blues, and maybe I'd make him a cheap extension offer before moving him out, but if not, I gotta take what I can get. Dunn should net you a decent return given his upside and RFA status, plus lets you see what you have in Walman/Mikkola/Perunovich the rest of the year. Husso sucks and is older than you think (26 already).
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am I think they should keep Dunn around. He still has upside. I'm really worried about the health of Parayko going forward.
This is what concerns me most right now. As much as I hate to say it, I think most can agree that this season is a wash at this point. Put CP back on LTIR and let him heal. Don't take the chance of seriously aggravating that injury. We will need him at 100% next season.

And I agree with you about Dunn. I feel the same way about Sanford too.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am I think they should keep Dunn around. He still has upside. I'm really worried about the health of Parayko going forward.
Yeah Parayko's health is a massive concern. Hope they don't mess around with it. My problem with Dunn is he asked for a bigger role for years, finally got one this season and immediately shit the bed.

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am
Some good D men will be free agents this year. Wonder if Army inks any of them. I do think he needs to restructure the D.
The hardest part about this has been going from a team with a championship level defense and transition, to a bunch of guys who are lucky to have jobs.

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am Jaden Schwartz and his two goals can absolutely kick rocks this off-season
These players are making Armstrong's job easy with their non performance in the last or second to last year of their contracts.
He'll sign him for a pay cut. Bozak's contract goes to him.
Not sure why he'd take a pay cut.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am
Some good D men will be free agents this year. Wonder if Army inks any of them. I do think he needs to restructure the D.
The hardest part about this has been going from a team with a championship level defense and transition, to a bunch of guys who are lucky to have jobs.
Yup. Essentially losing Petro and Bouw in the same year has been brutal for this team. Say what you want about those guys, but its pretty evident they provided a ton of stability on the back end.

This team really needs Parayko to become a number 1. If that means sitting him out for the rest of this year so he's healthy next year so be it. They also need to find someone to play with Parayko...Scandella is fine, but not a top pairing guy, and Krug and Faulk could be a good second pair.

just curious - why? he has been the epitome of the blues. they keep signing him, always hoping this is the year he lives up to his potential, but he always either a) disappoints, b) gets injured, or c) both.
I think he's actually under-rated by a lot of people. This year has sucked for him obviously but he brings a ton of value all over the ice that won't be easy to replace. I'd rather have 65-70 games of Schwartz every year for the next five years than 82 games of say Hoffman (or even Tarasenko at this point). But I'm not throwing huge money at Schwartz either.

I think he's actually under-rated by a lot of people. This year has sucked for him obviously but he brings a ton of value all over the ice that won't be easy to replace. I'd rather have 65-70 games of Schwartz every year for the next five years than 82 games of say Hoffman (or even Tarasenko at this point). But I'm not throwing huge money at Schwartz either.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am

Yup. Essentially losing Petro and Bouw in the same year has been brutal for this team. Say what you want about those guys, but its pretty evident they provided a ton of stability on the back end.

This team really needs Parayko to become a number 1. If that means sitting him out for the rest of this year so he's healthy next year so be it. They also need to find someone to play with Parayko...Scandella is fine, but not a top pairing guy, and Krug and Faulk could be a good second pair.
They were awesome and we miss them. Bouw was out of anyone's hands but how we handled Petro should be scrutinized. It looks bad real bad.

I just want to remind everyone that while departures of key D from the last couple of years, Binnington's struggles and a lack of timely scoring have been key elements of the downturn this year, the real reason they turned to shit was the reverse retros. Priority 1 this offseason is shooting those into the Sun.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 am I just want to remind everyone that while departures of key D from the last couple of years, Binnington's struggles and a lack of timely scoring have been key elements of the downturn this year, the real reason they turned to shit was the reverse retros. Priority 1 this offseason is shooting those into the Sun.
No argument there.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 am I just want to remind everyone that while departures of key D from the last couple of years, Binnington's struggles and a lack of timely scoring have been key elements of the downturn this year, the real reason they turned to shit was the reverse retros. Priority 1 this offseason is shooting those into the Sun.
Along with the idiots that designed them, the idiots that approved them and the idiots that made us wear them.

Yeah, did I read that right last night. 8 goals during the 7 game winless streak? Shit

Aesa wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am
Along with the idiots that designed them, the idiots that approved them and the idiots that made us wear them.
I always did like the hot sun 8-)

I liked the reverse retros :) but haters gonna hate :lol:

PS: THE BLUES ARE THE BEST TEAM EVER AND WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR TOO!
"Do Only Good Everyday"