Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:12 am Neighbours has now played in 8 games. I wonder if he'll HAVE to stay up based on injuries and the cap crunch.
Man, that is a tough call. Is he gonna make any noticeable improvement if they send him back to junior? My gut says no but they are going to have to waive Clifford if the team gets fully healthy.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:30 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:12 am Neighbours has now played in 8 games. I wonder if he'll HAVE to stay up based on injuries and the cap crunch.
Man, that is a tough call. Is he gonna make any noticeable improvement if they send him back to junior? My gut says no but they are going to have to waive Clifford if the team gets fully healthy.
I really hate the contract the NHL has with the Canadian Junior leagues. He would probably be best suited for the AHL right now. There are bunches of guys in the same situation every year too. How many careers have had their development hindered because of this crap over the years?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

A lot of guys are about to get pretty uncomfortable. Kostin and Clifford for sure. Bozak and Neal have spent a lot of bottom 6 time, but Bozak has proven valuable due to his versatility, and Neal played really well last night and moved up the lineup. Tough choices arriving soon.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:34 pm

A lot of guys are about to get pretty uncomfortable. Kostin and Clifford for sure. Bozak and Neal have spent a lot of bottom 6 time, but Bozak has proven valuable due to his versatility, and Neal played really well last night and moved up the lineup. Tough choices arriving soon.
Clifford and Scandella need to go. That's $4M in a pit of misery right there.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:39 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Clifford and Scandella need to go. That's $4M in a pit of misery right there.
Clifford can probably just be waived and sent down without much issue, but making Scandella disappear would be costly. He's definitely been pretty crappy statistically. If you were able to dump him somewhere, presumably you'd have enough room to call up Perunovich. That'd be nice, but they'd have to shuffle around roles quite a bit since he and Scandella serve such different functions on the back end. I'd love to see it happen one way or another though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 am I never understand the Scandella contract. They signed him while the season was stopped for the pandemic after playing just a handful of games. It was such weird ass timing by Army. Great GM, but obviously not his first head scratcher deal that he now needs to unload.
He knew Bouw was done, he knew Gunny was on his last legs, he pretty well expected Petro to leave. He didn't know Krug would be an option as UFA. He didn't want to be stuck with just Faulk, Parayko, Dunn and Bortuzzo as his signed D going into last year. People also likely forget how damn good Scandella looked in that short time period when he first got here. It hasn't panned out exactly great but I totally get why we signed him.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:37 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 am I never understand the Scandella contract. They signed him while the season was stopped for the pandemic after playing just a handful of games. It was such weird ass timing by Army. Great GM, but obviously not his first head scratcher deal that he now needs to unload.
He knew Bouw was done, he knew Gunny was on his last legs, he pretty well expected Petro to leave. He didn't know Krug would be an option as UFA. He didn't want to be stuck with just Faulk, Parayko, Dunn and Bortuzzo as his signed D going into last year. People also likely forget how damn good Scandella looked in that short time period when he first got here. It hasn't panned out exactly great but I totally get why we signed him.
Not arguing he was good in those small handful of games, no one has forgotten that but he was bad in Montreal for a bunch of games before that. It truly made no sense. Army did it WHILE the season was shut down for the pandemic. That's the part I didn't get. There was so much unknown at the time, lost wages, unknown salary caps, unknown free agency. The rush to sign him was silly and has proven to be the wrong decision. Which isolated wouldnt be a big thing, but it's causing issues with Perunovich now which makes it look even worse.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Not arguing he was good in those small handful of games, no one has forgotten that but he was bad in Montreal for a bunch of games before that. It truly made no sense. Army did it WHILE the season was shut down for the pandemic. That's the part I didn't get. There was so much unknown at the time, lost wages, unknown salary caps, unknown free agency. The rush to sign him was silly and has proven to be the wrong decision. Which isolated wouldnt be a big thing, but it's causing issues with Perunovich now which makes it look even worse.
The one element that mitigates the disaster level of the Scandella signing a bit is that contracts for defensemen have gotten downright silly since Scandella signed. It's still not a good deal given his level of play since the first shutdown and the cap crunch, but in a vacuum that deal isn't a bottom 5% defenseman contract. Probably bottom 10% though, haha.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm
What's even worse was that Scandella could have been had for nothing off of waivers a few weeks earlier and we gave up assets for him.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:45 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:27 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:15 pm Too bad.

This isn't bad news. They now still have him and can assign him to the AHL. Unless I am missing something?
You're not missing anything. I'm just not as good enthused about his career as a Blue.
I liked the signing at the time but he’s been a big let down. Never even became an upgrade over Jordan Nolan let alone replacing Maroon. But, he is one of a kind on the Blues roster if ever needed.
Just a Russian propaganda account