Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

I don't have any inside information about the Oshie deal, but I always just thought he was the fall guy for a group that couldn't ever get over the hump. Might've been guilty of just being the most tradeable forward from the core at the time. Oshie was one of my all time favorite Blues. He was 1st line, 1st PK, first PP unit. He sold tons of jerseys. Just like the rest of the crew, he couldn't get it done in the playoffs here. I was super happy when he won with the Caps.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 am Oshie, Backes, and Perron were all pressed into service way too soon, by a team still reeling from the Laurie's ownership debacle. None of those kids had time to season a bit in the minors. The money, fanfare, pussy, hype... it all came a year or two early. They were a bunch of immature brats.... fun to watch, but no clue how to succeed at this level. As for Oshie, his ankles were pretty messed up at the time he was traded. He was falling down a lot and had gotten slow....who knew if he'd heal up and come back the way he did? ...he could have continued to decline as most players do when they have bad wheels.
Yeah. Oshie really didn't take care of himself or improve his hockey skills. He was awesome his first season but it really was all downhill from there in ability and attitude.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:13 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am That first line LW at practice today....
Clifford in that lineup does absolutely nothing for me.

What a bust he's been here.
That's true, but for a 14th forward he's fine by me. I had super low expectations when he was signed, but I thought he played pretty well for the first part of last season, but didn't offer much towards the end of the year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am That first line LW at practice today....
Team depth is already being tested but it's good to get these guys action early and due to just suspension and covid, nothing long-term.
I've actually liked what I've seen from Kostin more than Neighbours. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with what Neighbours has shown so far, particularly given that I assumed he'd be back in junior by now, but I thought Kostin war really good against Vegas despite not showing up on the scoresheet. I love how he's just hitting everything he can see whenever he doesn't have the puck. He's reassured me that he's a definite NHL everyday player, which was a question mark the last couple years.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:11 pm
Team depth is already being tested but it's good to get these guys action early and due to just suspension and covid, nothing long-term.
I've actually liked what I've seen from Kostin more than Neighbours. Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with what Neighbours has shown so far, particularly given that I assumed he'd be back in junior by now, but I thought Kostin war really good against Vegas despite not showing up on the scoresheet. I love how he's just hitting everything he can see whenever he doesn't have the puck. He's reassured me that he's a definite NHL everyday player, which was a question mark the last couple years.
I agree with everything you just said. But when I think about Kostin being 22 and Neighbours being only 19, holy smokes, imagine Neighbours at 22. Kids special.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 pm

I agree with everything you just said. But when I think about Kostin being 22 and Neighbours being only 19, holy smokes, imagine Neighbours at 22. Kids special.
Totally. And based on what I'd heard about Neighbours I had concerns about him being able to play at an NHL pace. Those concerns are long gone. It's only been 3 games, and 2 for Kostin, but I'm going to be fascinated by what happens when Saad and Sunny are healthy, and Buch is back from suspension. Tarasenko is playing well and we could really use another top 4 LD...

Bill Armstrong compared him to Backes when drafted. Apparently he has leadership qualities and maybe the penchant to show up big in high stakes games. Add that to the fact his size and style just gives this team a cool look is something to really get excited about. He could really be a core player here……..and like you said, no points last game but he made a great play on the boards that kind of sprung the Saad goal.