Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:49 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am Now that we're 3-5-2 since the 5-0 start and have lost 4 straight, can we trade Tarasenko for a competent defensive defenseman while shooting Scandella to the moon yet?
Thoughts on an available name?
Anything I write here would be pulled right out of my ass, so no.
Just freewheeling here:

Tarasenko to NY Rangers for Vitali Kravtsov, K'Andre Miller, and a draft pick. Retain salary to make it work.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:06 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am

Thoughts on an available name?
Just freewheeling here:

Tarasenko to NY Rangers for Vitali Kravtsov, K'Andre Miller, and a draft pick. Retain salary to make it work.
I wonder if Armstrong has a hard and fast no retained salary mandate, has he retained any before? Regardless, I haven't seen a lot of Miller, but he fits the profile of what they need, a guy who eats a lot of 5v5 minutes on the left side that can skate (I think he can skate?). He doesn't play any special teams, but the Blues don't really need any more D men for PP, and you could probably coach Miller up on the PK if need be. I'm not sure the value equation in that deal makes sense though. I don't think the Rangers would necessarily have to sweeten the pot to get Tarasenko given the timing of his contract. Miller is still an RFA when his deal runs out in a year and a half. Tarasenko obviously is not. In a funny way you could probably get more out of the Rangers if Tarasenko's deal expired after this season instead of next. If his deal expired this year they could negotiate an extension as part of the trade, and thereby offer up a bigger return (Stone trade to Vegas is one example). Since Tarasenko can't sign an extension until the offseason right now, you're still only getting a season and a half guaranteed service if you trade for him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

SOMEBODY still loves Binner ...
Binnington is ECHL Alumnus of the Month

02 Nov 2021

Former Kalamazoo Wings’ goaltender Jordan Binnington of the Kalamazoo Wings is the ECHL Alumnus of the Month for October.

The 28-year-old went 5-1-0 in six appearances in October with one shutout, a 2.52 goals-against average and a save percentage of .926. He made at least 29 saves in four of his six appearances and recorded his first shutout of the season on Oct. 30, making 25 saves in a 1-0 win over Chicago.

A native of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Binnington appeared in 40 games with K-Wings during the 2013-14 season going 23-13-3 with one shutout, a 2.35 goals-against average and a save percentage of .922. ...

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 am
RAFritchey wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:06 pm

Just freewheeling here:

I wonder if Armstrong has a hard and fast no retained salary mandate, has he retained any before? Regardless, I haven't seen a lot of Miller, but he fits the profile of what they need, a guy who eats a lot of 5v5 minutes on the left side that can skate (I think he can skate?). He doesn't play any special teams, but the Blues don't really need any more D men for PP, and you could probably coach Miller up on the PK if need be. I'm not sure the value equation in that deal makes sense though. I don't think the Rangers would necessarily have to sweeten the pot to get Tarasenko given the timing of his contract. Miller is still an RFA when his deal runs out in a year and a half. Tarasenko obviously is not. In a funny way you could probably get more out of the Rangers if Tarasenko's deal expired after this season instead of next. If his deal expired this year they could negotiate an extension as part of the trade, and thereby offer up a bigger return (Stone trade to Vegas is one example). Since Tarasenko can't sign an extension until the offseason right now, you're still only getting a season and a half guaranteed service if you trade for him.
Kravtsov and Miller are both 21, almost 22, former 1st round draft picks, and on ELCs, so they're still cheap and cost-controlled for a while. The draft pick would be dependent on how much salary is retained, if any, maybe to get our 2nd round pick back if nothing else. NY certainly has the cap space, since they missed out on the Eichel sweepstakes.

Tarasenko is 29, almost 30, and has pretty much proven he's fully recovered from his surgeries over the past two seasons. He's currently on a pace for about 38 goals and 38 assists and, of course, has Stanley Cup winning experience.

Here are the scouting summaries I found at sportsforecaster.com:
Kravtsov: Is an offensive dynamo with tremendous skill with the puck. Is also an extremely good skater with a very projectable (6-2) frame. Can be a game-breaking, offensive force when he is on the ice. His play when he does not have the puck still leaves something to be desired, so he needs to improve his defensive game in order to maximize output in North America. Must also get stronger.
Long Range Potential: Ultra-skilled, talented winger with major upside.
Miller: A great athlete and physical specimen at 6-3, 205 pounds, he displays excellent shutdown acumen from the back end. Moves well for a big man and can join the rush from time to time. Has offensive upside, too. Will need to prove he can produce offense as he climbs the ladder (because defense will always be his calling, first and foremost). Also, he can place himself out of position at times when lining up for the big hit.
Long Range Potential: Big, physical shutdown defenseman with upside.
Very much a 'bird in the hand vs two/three in the bush' kind of deal.