Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:28 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:52 pm
I hope that's not the case. If I'm DA, I structure this team to fit Chief's gameplan. I'm not in ahurry to dump the only coach to ever bring us a Cup.
That makes sense for him. He really didn't have a role here. I guess we can officially say that Detroit won the trade.
I'd call it a draw, since the other guy wasn't going to play here.
Yeah, but that might of been a Berube thing. If the Blues crash and burn next year, then I see him being gone. It's the last year of his deal right? If this team ends up rebuilding then I don't see Berube part of it.

ratonmono wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm So Kerbs says Blues are looking for a top line LW in trade or UFA. I get that's a need but is he just fine with our D?

Parayko can surely play much better but the rest of these guys are what they are. Faulk is fine, but Krug, Dunn, Scandella, Bortz, and the rest of them are not going to improve their game much. Seriously disappointed how gutted our blueline is since 2019.
Again it’s Hats off to that 19 D group. Look at how the perfection line has lit up that defensive minded Islander team the first 3 games. They couldn’t do shit against our boys in 7.

ratonmono wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm So Kerbs says Blues are looking for a top line LW in trade or UFA. I get that's a need but is he just fine with our D?

Parayko can surely play much better but the rest of these guys are what they are. Faulk is fine, but Krug, Dunn, Scandella, Bortz, and the rest of them are not going to improve their game much. Seriously disappointed how gutted our blueline is since 2019.
How gutted has it been? It's mostly the loss of one guy. There hasn't been a lot of turnover, 4 of those guys listed were here then.

The bigger story for me here is that if they are looking for an upgrade at LW, I don't think they are bringing Schwartz back.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 am

How gutted has it been? It's mostly the loss of one guy. There hasn't been a lot of turnover, 4 of those guys listed were here then.

The bigger story for me here is that if they are looking for an upgrade at LW, I don't think they are bringing Schwartz back.
I mean...Petro, Bouwmeester, Edmundson and Gunnarsson are all gone. Dunn was hurt a lot of the year and may be gone too. Parayko is the only defenseman that played in game 7 against Boston that has a certain future with this team. Hopefully his back heals up.

I agree on the LW thing though. The forward group needs some tweaking and hopefully a return to health for Sundqvist. His absence was clearly felt.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:46 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 am

I mean...Petro, Bouwmeester, Edmundson and Gunnarsson are all gone. Dunn was hurt a lot of the year and may be gone too. Parayko is the only defenseman that played in game 7 against Boston that has a certain future with this team. Hopefully his back heals up.

I agree on the LW thing though. The forward group needs some tweaking and hopefully a return to health for Sundqvist. His absence was clearly felt.
Ah! Ok, I see what you're saying. When I read 2019 my brain went to the season that started in 2019.

T.C. wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Fucking awesome. If you haven’t yet been to Crow’s Nest, they are back open. Amazing food, excellent bar, run by an excellent friend in an amazing band.
Sorry...I don’t leave St. Charles county :D
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:00 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:16 pm
T.C. wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Fucking awesome. If you haven’t yet been to Crow’s Nest, they are back open. Amazing food, excellent bar, run by an excellent friend in an amazing band.
Sorry...I don’t leave St. Charles county :D
Nice to see Frank Zappa still getting work.
I thought it was his Mom.

Blues to Shop Tarasenko, Dunn Trade News

According to Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic, Blues’ GM Doug Armstrong will gauge Tarasenko’s trade value this summer. The 29-year-old winger has two years remaining on his current contract and is making $7.5 million per season. He’s a high-end player, but the Blues are looking for more production and aren’t sure he’s a long-term fit.

Some might say that Tarasenko will be OK when he gets more games under his belt following his third shoulder surgery, and they may be right. But from a team-dynamic perspective — the desire to suit up a blue-collar, hardworking lineup — the Blues may feel the need to go in a different direction, and Tarasenko may want that, too.

source – ‘Trade Vladimir Tarasenko? Latest thoughts on Kraken protections? Steve Ott’s future? Blues mailbag’ – Jeremy Rutherford – The Athletic – 06/01/2021
Rutherford adds that Tarasenko’s trade value may be declining, but that doesn’t really matter if the Blues determine he’s not going to be helpful to their overall team goals. If the organization can free up his cap space, they should consider making a move.

In other Blues news, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet indicated that Vince Dunn’s name is once again out there in trade talks. Friedman noted during the Saturday Headlines report:

One of the players I think some teams are beginning to ask about is Vince Dunn of the St. Louis Blues.

There was a time during the year where the Blues were thinking about maybe moving him, they were asking for a first-round pick in return. I’m hearing some chatter around him right now, we’ll see what his future is.

BillP. wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:27 pm Blues to Shop Tarasenko, Dunn Trade News

According to Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic, Blues’ GM Doug Armstrong will gauge Tarasenko’s trade value this summer. The 29-year-old winger has two years remaining on his current contract and is making $7.5 million per season. He’s a high-end player, but the Blues are looking for more production and aren’t sure he’s a long-term fit.

Some might say that Tarasenko will be OK when he gets more games under his belt following his third shoulder surgery, and they may be right. But from a team-dynamic perspective — the desire to suit up a blue-collar, hardworking lineup — the Blues may feel the need to go in a different direction, and Tarasenko may want that, too.

source – ‘Trade Vladimir Tarasenko? Latest thoughts on Kraken protections? Steve Ott’s future? Blues mailbag’ – Jeremy Rutherford – The Athletic – 06/01/2021
Rutherford adds that Tarasenko’s trade value may be declining, but that doesn’t really matter if the Blues determine he’s not going to be helpful to their overall team goals. If the organization can free up his cap space, they should consider making a move.

In other Blues news, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet indicated that Vince Dunn’s name is once again out there in trade talks. Friedman noted during the Saturday Headlines report:

One of the players I think some teams are beginning to ask about is Vince Dunn of the St. Louis Blues.

There was a time during the year where the Blues were thinking about maybe moving him, they were asking for a first-round pick in return. I’m hearing some chatter around him right now, we’ll see what his future is.
I can see them moving Vladdy but I wonder if this is the right time to do it. We moved Oshie at his lowest value and got a very poor return.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:22 pm

I can see them moving Vladdy but I wonder if this is the right time to do it. We moved Oshie at his lowest value and got a very poor return.
Blues must think his Tank is close to empty. Health is already an issue. Better to unload than get stuck with. But how do find a buyer to take on his cap? A trade with Seattle might be the best bet. I’ll take a good prospect and draft pick and be done with it.

BillP. wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:38 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:22 pm

Blues must think his Tank is close to empty. Health is already an issue. Better to unload than get stuck with. But how do find a buyer to take on his cap? A trade with Seattle might be the best bet. I’ll take a good prospect and draft pick and be done with it.
Yeah I can see that. I do think a few teams might have interest though. Plenty of players older than Vladdy have rebounded in a new situation. I could see him doing great in NY (either team) Seattle, LA, Pittsburgh, or Washington. Cap space is always an issue of course.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 pm Vova and Hoffman are guys who can change a game with one shot... those kind of guys don’t grow on trees...it’s unlikely Hoff sticks around... I’d rather keep Vova and replace Schwartz and some more peripheral players who haven’t really blossomed into Berube type players.
I agree. Unless someone blows me away with an offer, I'm keeping Tarasenko. He's had injury issues of late, but he'd blossomed into a serviceable defensive player before the shoulder started causing issues, and his skill set is very rare in today's NHL. "Easy" goals from distance only happen when a supremely talented player is shooting the puck on modern goalies. There is risk involved in keeping him, but that's life.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:56 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 pm Vova and Hoffman are guys who can change a game with one shot... those kind of guys don’t grow on trees...it’s unlikely Hoff sticks around... I’d rather keep Vova and replace Schwartz and some more peripheral players who haven’t really blossomed into Berube type players.
I agree. Unless someone blows me away with an offer, I'm keeping Tarasenko. He's had injury issues of late, but he'd blossomed into a serviceable defensive player before the shoulder started causing issues, and his skill set is very rare in today's NHL. "Easy" goals from distance only happen when a supremely talented player is shooting the puck on modern goalies. There is risk involved in keeping him, but that's life.
I love the guy and I love what's he's done for the Blues but I don't see how we can keep him. We won the Cup with him being a borderline player. The cost is too high to gamble to protect him in the expansion draft. After that, if he's still around it depends on the offers for him.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:20 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:56 am
I love the guy and I love what's he's done for the Blues but I don't see how we can keep him. We won the Cup with him being a borderline player. The cost is too high to gamble to protect him in the expansion draft. After that, if he's still around it depends on the offers for him.
You and I remember that Cup run a lot differently. He was second on the team in goals in the playoffs, and his line carried the team during the stretches that ROR was dinged up with his wrist/rib injury. He led all Blues wingers in ice time in the playoffs.

I also don't think the cost of protecting him at the draft is high at all. Assuming Schwartz is not protected due to contract status, if you protect Tarasenko it means you probably have to expose Barbashev. Barbashev is totally a useful and valuable player, but he's replacable and worth the risk of possibly having Tarasenko return to form and score 35+ next year. Besides, Seattle would probably take Dunn anyway if he's not already traded. Suppose they pass on Dunn or he's been moved. That means protecting Tarasenko likely costs you Barbashev instead of Sanford or Blais, or Tarasenko of course. To me the greatest risk by far in that scenario is losing Tarasenko. Snipers don't grow on trees.

Rivermanfan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:03 pm It's end of year report card time. It's always interesting to see what how people out of the market rate the team. thehockeywriters.com just posted their end of years report card. Here's a link to the one on Berube, pretty harsh, gave him an F

https://thehockeywriters.com/blues-2020 ... ig-berube/
I will say I agree and share the same concern that I’m not sure Army and Chief share the same vision for this roster and style of play.

I remain a Berube fan. Personally, I think he handled Hoffman properly. He made him put out a little effort before promoting him to the top pp unit. That not only sent a message to Hoffman, it it went out to the team. No different than he did with Kyoru. The first move of panic is usually fire the coach. I'm of the opinion that we keep Chief, and set his style of play as the identity of the Blues going forward, much as teams like Boston and philly have established their identity over the years, and drafted and traded to fit that style of play. I could be wrong, but I think Army will be on board with keeping Chief and his style of play. He hired Berube into this organization, and promoted him. Army also hired Hitch, who also promoted physical, defense first hockey.
But then I got to watch a grand total of 1 regular season game, and parts of 3 playof games, so I'm shooting in the dark here.