Re: 2020 NHL Draft Thread

Scouting reports on Blues first round pick Jake Neighbours.

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects: "Neighbours’ is a deceptively fast player who likes to get in on the forecheck. He plays with an edge and knows how to operate in any role offensively."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - June 22nd: "Neighbours (5-11, 195) is a tough middle-six forward with deceptive speed, good vision and playmaking ability. Neighbours can play the power play and penalty kill, and scored 70 points (23 goals, 47 assists), had 228 shots on goal and 19 power-play points (three goals, 16 assists) in 64 games."

The Hockey Writers - May 22nd: "Neighbours plays a 200-foot game and has a gritty, nasty side to him. He has a quick first step and he is quick to get in on the forecheck and he loves to play with physicality."

Offensive Game: Neighbours is a strong forward who plays a 200-foot game. He is effective on the forecheck, getting in quickly and creating havoc in the zone. Willing to play in the dirty areas of the ice, Neighbours gets to the front of the net where he is able to score goals in tight. He has the quick hands to bang in a pass from a teammate or to pounce on a rebound. Neighbours distracts the defence and the goaltender, as they need to keep on eye on what he might do next. He also has a very good wrist shot with a quick release. This helps him score from further out.

Neighbours is a puck possession monster. He uses his body to protect the puck down low and extend plays. He wins battles in the corners and gets the puck to teammates. With excellent stickhandling ability, Neighbours can extend plays and give his linemates the time to get open. Once they do, he has the vision to find them and the passing skills to set them up through tight spaces. Neighbours is always moving his feet and a constant presence around the puck. He is always in the middle of scrums and his relentlessness can pester opponents and draw penalties.

Defensive Game
Neighbours brings this same work ethic to the defensive zone, backchecking effectively. He uses his body and his low centre of gravity when supporting the defence down low. This helps him to contain the cycle game. His quick stick is effective at stealing the puck away from opponents and intercepting passes. A hard-nosed player, Neighbours is not afraid to block shots. Neighbours is strong positionally, keeping himself between his man and the net and forcing shooters to take shots from tough angles. He reads the play well, anticipating where opponents will move the puck. Once he gets the puck, he can move it up the ice quickly, starting the transition game.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Pronman's thoughts.

26. St. Louis Blues: Jake Neighbours, LW, Edmonton-WHL
March 29, 2002 | six-foot | 195 pounds

Neighbours was an important part of Edmonton’s team, scoring more than a point per game and being a leading shot generator in the WHL. He’s a very smart player. He played the flank on Edmonton’s PP1 and showed the ability to make NHL caliber plays in all situations. I debated between a 55 and a 60 for his hands. In practice and in games he shows very quick-twitch puck handling and impressive ability to saucer pucks. His 1-on-1 game is not that impressive, so I leaned to a 55. Neighbours has a bullet of a shot and scored several goals this past season that goalies had little to no chance on. He competes hard. He doesn’t shy from physical engagement and is a solid penalty killer. I could see him become a quality bottom-six forward in the NHL and, if he gains a step, I could see him become more than that.

NHL scout on Neighbours, “He’s a complete hockey player. He’s very smart, he can make plays and score. He competes very hard. He got better for me as the season went on.”

Pronman’s thoughts: Neighbours had a very good season in the WHL and a lot of teams thought he would find his way into the first round. He’s a very intelligent and competitive player who can finish and make plays in the NHL. I wavered between if he was a second- or a third-line forward because of his skating. In the hours leading up to my final list, he was a guy I thought a lot about. I lean to third-liner, but if you wanted to pressure me and say he can play higher, I can buy it.

https://theathletic.com/2089449/2020/10 ... -analysis/

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm I like it. Guys that can skate and play physical are right up Berube's ally. Definitely will fit in whenever he arrives
Neighbours has got to improve his skating to be a quality forward in The NHL. If he improves it as much as Backes did this will have been a good pick. If he doesn't improve it much, this pick will become a mistake.

Robb_K wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm I like it. Guys that can skate and play physical are right up Berube's ally. Definitely will fit in whenever he arrives
Neighbours has got to improve his skating to be a quality forward in The NHL. If he improves it as much as Backes did this will have been a good pick. If he doesn't improve it much, this pick will become a mistake.
His skating is not poor. The difference between him progressing as a skater is the difference between him being a 3rd liner or a top 6 guy. Not a good pick vs a mistake. It's not seen as a liability.

Good to see you around though! Hope all is well friend.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:24 pm So Sammy Blais, but hopefully without the concussions. I had a hankering for a higher ceiling. But whatever, welcome Neighbours, now let's talk about dropping that unnecessary u.
More Brayden Schenn than Sammy Blais for me.
I mean, here's hoping. When I hear 3LW I think Blais, not Schenn. If Neighbours puts up 70 points in a season like Schenn did his first year here, it'll be an outstanding pick.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Athletic article on the newest Blue: https://theathletic.com/1798476/2020/10 ... ce-friend/

Comments from linemate and fellow prospect Wiesblatt

“Jake’s a special player,” said Wiesblatt, a Prince Albert Raiders centre rated No. 19 by Central Scouting. “He’s got a lot of tools that people don’t really recognize. A really underrated part of his game is his skating. He’s a really fast straight-line skater.”

Wiesblatt points out that Neighbours carries nearly 200 pounds on his 6-foot frame, making him “an absolute tank,” not to mention someone who likes to emulate Matthew Tkachuk.

“A spot-on comparison,” said Wiesblatt. “He can be skilled and he can also be a pest. If he’s lined up against the best player, he’s going to knock them off their game.”

More Tkachuk comparisons.

“Jake Neighbours may not reach the offensive ceiling that Matthew Tkachuk has but he certainly has the skill and play style to get there. He has a big frame and plays bigger than he is. He is strong on the cycle and has good hands in traffic. His shot is a major weapon but he doesn’t use it in dangerous areas as often as one would like because he is always willing to throw a shot on net. Like Matthew Tkachuk, he does an excellent job of using his physicality to make a play and chooses his spots well. He rarely throws hits just to throw hits.” – Tony Ferarri, Dobber Prospects

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 pm If he can make the NHL and be as big of a prick as Matthew Tkachuk it will be a splendid pick.
Did you see Jake Neighbours quote on the draft screen when he was selected? It's also who he says he models his game after so we'll see.

“When I’m finishing checks and being a bit of a pest, that’s when I’m playing my best.”

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 pm If he can make the NHL and be as big of a prick as Matthew Tkachuk it will be a splendid pick.
Did you see Jake Neighbours quote on the draft screen when he was selected? It's also who he says he models his game after so we'll see.

“When I’m finishing checks and being a bit of a pest, that’s when I’m playing my best.”
J absolutely believe he models his game after him, I have no reason to doubt it. Just hope he has the ability to make the big club eventually and make an impact.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:54 pm

J absolutely believe he models his game after him, I have no reason to doubt it. Just hope he has the ability to make the big club eventually and make an impact.
Same. Because if he makes it, I think he's going to be a fan favorite. Someone to beat Zach Sanford's ass after Bortuzzo is gone.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:01 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Same. Because if he makes it, I think he's going to be a fan favorite. Someone to beat Zach Sanford's ass after Bortuzzo is gone.
He kind of sounds like the anti-Sanford. Now we're talking.