Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

BluesSK wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:14 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 am

That is pretty low honestly
My thoughts too. Also means he doesn't see himself as a starter.
Well, not when you are behind Carey Price. There is a glut of goaltending out there.
Right which is why it's interesting he decided to stay there vs testing the market next year.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:01 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:14 pm

My thoughts too. Also means he doesn't see himself as a starter.
Well, not when you are behind Carey Price. There is a glut of goaltending out there.
Right which is why it's interesting he decided to stay there vs testing the market next year.
He's probably happy there. It's only a few hours from home for him.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 pm

He probably is. Which means he's also content to be a backup which is exactly what I said?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 pm

He probably is. Which means he's also content to be a backup which is exactly what I said?
It's also probably a reflection that he's not sure where the market and the cap will be next year. A bird in the hand and all..
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:52 pm

It's also probably a reflection that he's not sure where the market and the cap will be next year. A bird in the hand and all..
Yeah. There's a lot to be said for financially security.

I just felt like his stock is going up and he sold low

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Yeah. There's a lot to be said for financially security.

I just felt like his stock is going up and he sold low
Also the second year was big I'm sure. He'll surely be exposed to Seattle for expansion. If he has a good year he'd make a lot of sense for them depending on who else is out there. A guy who's been a starter and comes at a good price.

Robb_K wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm
BillP. wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 pm I just realized when Thornton won his Hart Trophy, that he played that year with 2 teams. Kind of odd to win a MVP when you played the season with 2 teams.
That's got to be the only time that ever happened in NHL history! I don't remember it ever happening before.
It was indeed the only time it's happened. It was a brutal trade in terms of value (Thornton for Wayne Primeau, Marco Sturm and Brad Stuart...woof). None of those 3 were around when the Bruins won in 2011, but do they win the Cup in 2011 without the trade? The trade came in the middle of the first after the lockout, so teams had to adjust to a new style and perhaps more importantly, the salary cap. Boston made the decision to build around Patrice Bergeron instead of Thornton. You could probably build a great team around both of them, but if they'd kept Thornton, would they have been able to sign Chara in that offseason? With that team's identity, there's no way they win the Cup without Chara.

Terrible trade (how do you not even get a 1st round pick?!?!), but maybe one that took them in the right direction. That or maybe they just needed Kessel, Lucic and Seguin to arrive/develop.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't add, eat shit, Jumbo.

So supposedly the season starts in a little over a month an there are still lots of roster moves to be made. Guys like Hoffman are still out there on the front end, and some solid D like Vatanen are unsigned. Then there's stuff like this out of Vegas:

Now that teams have a more clear idea of finances and timeline, I wonder if we start to see some action.