Re: Blues Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

Maybe this has been discussed, I don't know...But what do the Blues do if Petro walks in a couple days? What do you want them to do?

You'd be looking at going into next season with no Petro and no Tarasenko. Whatever your thoughts on those two players are, you don't just replace them.

Do you use the money you offered Petro for a D-men? A forward? Save it? Try to spread it out across multiple lower free agents? Throw it at Schwartz? They aren't going to rebuild

But you're also talking about going from a legit Stanley Cup contender to still a good playoff team, but likely looking at a wild card 5-6 type seed versus a top 2 seed.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm Maybe this has been discussed, I don't know...But what do the Blues do if Petro walks in a couple days? What do you want them to do?

You'd be looking at going into next season with no Petro and no Tarasenko. Whatever your thoughts on those two players are, you don't just replace them.

Do you use the money you offered Petro for a D-men? A forward? Save it? Try to spread it out across multiple lower free agents? Throw it at Schwartz? They aren't going to rebuild
Offer sheet Ryan Pulock of the Islanders. Total stud, just turned 26 yesterday. Islanders have cap issues because they have to sign Barzal to a huge deal. Yeah, offer sheets rarely happen, but we are in a different environment. Blues could go up to $6.54 million and compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd.

Matangama wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm Maybe this has been discussed, I don't know...But what do the Blues do if Petro walks in a couple days? What do you want them to do?

Offer sheet Ryan Pulock of the Islanders. Total stud, just turned 26 yesterday. Islanders have cap issues because they have to sign Barzal to a huge deal. Yeah, offer sheets rarely happen, but we are in a different environment. Blues could go up to $6.54 million and compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd.
In reverse, if the Blues sign Petro I could legit see a team offer sheeting Dunn for the handcuffed Blues trying to clear space to match.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 pm
Matangama wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm Could happen, Dread.....unless Army has a few moves already worked out to clear cap space.
Honestly wish offer sheets were more of a thing. I wish it wasn't about not pissing off your buddies and they didn't have to worry about hurting feelings. It's just business baby
I agree. Much more exciting.....and by the way, if we offer sheeted Pulock from the Islanders, it would be a chance to finally get some fucking revenge on that douchebag Lou Lamoriello for the Scott Stevens bullshit.

But you're also talking about going from a legit Stanley Cup contender to still a good playoff team, but likely looking at a wild card 5-6 type seed versus a top 2 seed.
I have a feeling that they will make 2 signings with a possible 3rd:
1 - a veteran backup goalie
2 - a depth d-man
3 - possibly Bobby Ryan

I think their hands are still pretty tied even without signing Petro, so unless Doug gets super creative, I'm not expecting much.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce.......I’m guessing they want to give Husso a real chance, but also want to be protected. My guess for a veteran goalie, which will probably be half backup, half goalie coach = Carter Hutton. Probably the perfect guy for that kind of role, and would be a great addition here. His play slipped, it he was in Buffalo, so that doesn’t help. In limited usage, guessing he could still be effective and provide low cost protection for the Blues.

This Kevin Shattenkirk reunion is getting some legs I think. I legit could see it happening. https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/300 ... -dates#stl

St. Louis Blues
Key players hitting UFA: F Troy Brouwer, D Alex Pietrangelo

Key players hitting RFA: D Vince Dunn

Cap space: $5,153,096

What they should do: The one name that dictates what the Blues do this summer: Alex Pietrangelo. The captain wants to stay (and the team knows it), but the Blues have been tough negotiators. Contract talks have broken down several times, and St. Louis has gone on to ink several other player deals, leading to further frustration. The Blues should find a compromise with Pietrangelo. If not, the focus falls next on RFA Vince Dunn. The 23-year-old would get an increased role and probably a better contract if Pietrangelo leaves. St. Louis would need to replace Pietrangelo in the lineup. The Blues could promote Robert Bertuzzo to a regular role or find more budget options on the market. A Kevin Shattenkirk reunion could be intriguing. If Pietrangelo leaves, the Blues should spend their extra cap space on top-nine scoring. St. Louis managed without Vladimir Tarasenko for nearly all of last season, but he had yet another surgery this offseason, and it's tough to predict when or in what capacity he will return.

I still have no idea which way this Petro thing goes, though every passing minute makes you think it's more likely he's out of here. Beyond that, I think the key is adding some talent on the wings. I'd love one of the Florida guys (Dadanov/Hoffman). I want more speed and skill. Kyrou is going to play, but it's time for him to make the leap from prospect to contributor. This might be his last chance before he becomes the latest Ty Rattie.

On D, if Petro leaves I'd kind of like to see how a couple of the kids look with regular time before making any major additions on the back end. You can Trot out a top 4 of some combination of Parayko, Faulk, Scandella and Dunn while letting Gunnar play bottom pairing with one of the kids (Mikkola/Perunovich) and rotating Bortuzzo in as needed. We'll see.

Finally, I know they've said it's Husso time, but I wouldn't mind adding a veteran backup in this saturated goalie market. Binnington needs to show he can be his 2019 self rather than last year's before I'll be confident in running Husso out there as a backup.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am I still have no idea which way this Petro thing goes, though every passing minute makes you think it's more likely he's out of here. Beyond that, I think the key is adding some talent on the wings. I'd love one of the Florida guys (Dadanov/Hoffman). I want more speed and skill. Kyrou is going to play, but it's time for him to make the leap from prospect to contributor. This might be his last chance before he becomes the latest Ty Rattie.

On D, if Petro leaves I'd kind of like to see how a couple of the kids look with regular time before making any major additions on the back end. You can Trot out a top 4 of some combination of Parayko, Faulk, Scandella and Dunn while letting Gunnar play bottom pairing with one of the kids (Mikkola/Perunovich) and rotating Bortuzzo in as needed. We'll see.

Finally, I know they've said it's Husso time, but I wouldn't mind adding a veteran backup in this saturated goalie market. Binnington needs to show he can be his 2019 self rather than last year's before I'll be confident in running Husso out there as a backup.
I agree with everything you said.

I don't think we are in dire straits if Petro doesn't sign.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if Vegas can't get away from some contracts in order to sign Petro. It seems like that's the number one landing spot but they are definitely going to have to work to make that happen. If not them, I think you're left with Florida who has plenty of room and money to sign him or the Blues. He may not be left with many options. Army should play some hard ball.