Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:30 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:41 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:27 am

Nicklas Lidstrom is proud.
In Bourque's final season, he finished second to Lidstrom for the Norris. It was the first of Lidstrom's 7 Norris wins. He was 30.
That's crazy. Bourque was 2nd in his final season? Didn't realize he was still THAT good when he played for Avs.
Never really liked the guy but he probably had three or four years left in the tank when he retired if not more.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:23 am The story about the CBJ goalie being killed by a firework is tragic. At some point maybe mixing booze and legal bombs together doesn't seem like a good idea. Hope you all had a safe and fun holiday weekend!
Yep. I stick to grilling on the fourth these days. With a little niece and nephew running around I’m not doing explosives on any large scale. Plus I’m generally sober these days and always staying sober at family events.

T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:38 am my understanding is it wasn't he fireworks directly. an errant mortar caught the deck on fire where he was in the hot tub. tried to jump out and flee and fell, whacking his head against the concrete. just awful. kid was 24.
I believe that was the original story and belief, but the medical examiner said he died from chest trauma due to a mortar blast.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:56 pmjesus, awful. how people think setting fireworks off right next to you is a good idea is beyond me.
If as the latest Oakland Co. ME comments indicate, the COD was internal trauma due to a mortar ball blast, it may be that the fireworks were being set off some distance away. A coworker of mine told me today that his brother set up commercial grade mortar fireworks on a flimsy piece of cardboard on the ground, and had a mortar topple over before it propelled its load at ground level until it was expended. That scenario could easily have been the same or similar to what Legace & his guests experienced.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:36 pm
T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:56 pmjesus, awful. how people think setting fireworks off right next to you is a good idea is beyond me.
If as the latest Oakland Co. ME comments indicate, the COD was internal trauma due to a mortar ball blast, it may be that the fireworks were being set off some distance away. A coworker of mine told me today that his brother set up commercial grade mortar fireworks on a flimsy piece of cardboard on the ground, and had a mortar topple over before it propelled its load at ground level until it was expended. That scenario could easily have been the same or similar to what Legace & his guests experienced.
I was at ground zero of the Hill Day disaster in '73.... Alcohol and fireworks should only be mixed on the battlefield.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:07 pm
I was at ground zero of the Hill Day disaster in '73.... Alcohol and fireworks should only be mixed on the battlefield.
And only by Generals & their horses.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:18 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:07 pm
And only by Generals & their horses.
Fo shizzle!

if he's in the hot tub, which is up on a deck, the only way the mortar hits him in the torso is if it's being set off right next to him, or at least up on the deck (or maybe the roof?).

story says the setter-offer had no alcohol in his system.

terrible, avoidable accident.

good reference on the EJ golf outing. and then the palin-rug-trip turk mentioned. starting to think this guy is cursed.

T.C. wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:58 am if he's in the hot tub, which is up on a deck, the only way the mortar hits him in the torso is if it's being set off right next to him, or at least up on the deck (or maybe the roof?).

good reference on the EJ golf outing. and then the palin-rug-trip turk mentioned. starting to think this guy is cursed.
I think he got out of the hot tub to try and avoid it and that's when it hit him. That's why I think they originally thought he slipped and fell when he was trying to get away from it. Truly a series of unfortunate events and being very very unlucky. In hindsight, probably just go under the water. Or don't hang out with Manny Legace. Whichever is easier.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:08 am
T.C. wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:58 am if he's in the hot tub, which is up on a deck, the only way the mortar hits him in the torso is if it's being set off right next to him, or at least up on the deck (or maybe the roof?).

I think he got out of the hot tub to try and avoid it and that's when it hit him. That's why I think they originally thought he slipped and fell when he was trying to get away from it. Truly a series of unfortunate events and being very very unlucky. In hindsight, probably just go under the water. Or don't hang out with Manny Legace. Whichever is easier.
Ban Legace, not fireworks. Everyone will be safer.