Re: News and Games around the NHL

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:44 pm Buch should've never been on the ice for Wilson to hit to ensue the panarin fiasco

Buch did a dirty hit to OV that injured him and instead of giving him a misconduct they did nothing. Then Buch starts whacking at their goalie so Wilson politely reminds him of his presence on the ice. Now the refs, knowing Wilson is on the ice, should've been hovering around to grab him knowing full well what was going to happen...but they wimped out and grabbed smaller guys allowing panarin to get free shots to Wilson and if you pull the lions tail...........

Coincidentally, Crosby did the same thing to a player that same night only he smashed the guys head in to the ice THREE times and no one is calling him a goon or needing a trident....

resume the witch hunt and probably flaming me for this post
If you can watch Wilson against the Rangers and Crosby against Koneckny and say they're the same thing I'm not sure this conversation is going to be very productive.
This is only a big deal bc it involves Tom Wilson. If TW "slammed panarin's head into the ice"...why did he suffer a LOWER body injury?

The main difference is konecny had his helmet on but the INTENT was the same
For the record I'd have no problem if Crosby was penalized heavily for that play (he got 2 minutes that game, assume it was for that play. I'd be fine with more). There's a massive difference between Crosby wrestling with a guy his own size and shoving his head, and Wilson body slamming two separate guys to the ice, punching one of them in the back of the head while his head was on the ice, ripping a guy's helmet off before ragdolling him to the ice. Wilson has at least 5 inches and 50 lbs on Panarin. The intent clearly isn't the same when Wilson actively rips off Panarin's helmet. Crosby's intent was to physically tell Koneckny to fuck off, Wilson's was to put Panarin in the hospital. He had a lower body injury from getting whipped around by a giant. The fact that Panarin's head didn't directly make initial contact with the ice doesn't make Wilson's intent any less, it just means his aim was off.

I don't like what Crosby did, but the situation and difference in the amount of force applied makes these wildly different in my opinion.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

If you can watch Wilson against the Rangers and Crosby against Koneckny and say they're the same thing I'm not sure this conversation is going to be very productive.
This is only a big deal bc it involves Tom Wilson. If TW "slammed panarin's head into the ice"...why did he suffer a LOWER body injury?

For the record I'd have no problem if Crosby was penalized heavily for that play (he got 2 minutes that game, assume it was for that play. I'd be fine with more). There's a massive difference between Crosby wrestling with a guy his own size and shoving his head, and Wilson body slamming two separate guys to the ice, punching one of them in the back of the head while his head was on the ice, ripping a guy's helmet off before ragdolling him to the ice. Wilson has at least 5 inches and 50 lbs on Panarin. The intent clearly isn't the same when Wilson actively rips off Panarin's helmet. Crosby's intent was to physically tell Koneckny to fuck off, Wilson's was to put Panarin in the hospital. He had a lower body injury from getting whipped around by a giant. The fact that Panarin's head didn't directly make initial contact with the ice doesn't make Wilson's intent any less, it just means his aim was off.

I don't like what Crosby did, but the situation and difference in the amount of force applied makes these wildly different in my opinion.
Well said Dave. Spot on!

Aesa wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:22 am

Well said Dave. Spot on!
Wilson stood up for his teammate (OV) and would be heralded for it if it was "reaves standing up for tarasenko" which I have no qualms with.

Panarin CHOSE to attack wilson. If I CHOOSE to attack a well-armed police officer, I'd expect my ass whipped and probably a broken bone.

Wilson did not look around for a small guy and go "im gonna pick on him bc Im a thug on skates" wilson was defending his captain and friend when an instigator pulled him away and wilson turned in to "who the fuck is bothering me while Im defending my captain and friend as well as my goalie".

Saying Wilson "did this purposefully bc he is a pos and doesnt deserve to be in the league" is a biased opinion not taking the facts in to consideration. I do not condone what happened, by he or Crosby, but again... making wilson "the bad guy" in this situation is asinine and reaching at best.
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Well said Dave. Spot on!
Wilson stood up for his teammate (OV) and would be heralded for it if it was "reaves standing up for tarasenko" which I have no qualms with.

Panarin CHOSE to attack wilson. If I CHOOSE to attack a well-armed police officer, I'd expect my ass whipped and probably a broken bone.

Wilson did not look around for a small guy and go "im gonna pick on him bc Im a thug on skates" wilson was defending his captain and friend when an instigator pulled him away and wilson turned in to "who the fuck is bothering me while Im defending my captain and friend as well as my goalie".

Saying Wilson "did this purposefully bc he is a pos and doesnt deserve to be in the league" is a biased opinion not taking the facts in to consideration. I do not condone what happened, by he or Crosby, but again... making wilson "the bad guy" in this situation is asinine and reaching at best.
Well said Ozzie
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Well said Dave. Spot on!

Ovechkin only played one shift that game and wasn't on the ice at the time. The goalie was fine. Wilson isn't a police officer. Panarin wasn't assaulting him. It's not an issue of reacting or not, it's an issue of amount of force used. It isn't an all or nothing binary decision. Wilson has been in enough scrums to know what he's doing. He knows when a big guy has him and when a tiny guy does. If he didn't at first, he did when he turned around. Just because someone grabs you doesn't mean you can do anything you want.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 pmMcDavid just hit 100 points in his 53rd game. He might have a future in this game.
29 in his last 10. Fucking insane.
And yet, he'll never see his name on the Cup unless he plays somewhere else.
Maybe. It took a lot of players a career to get one, Bourque for example. But I will say the Oilers this year are definitely a better team than they have been recently. Nurse has come into his own big time. But yeah they still need 2-3 pieces for sure.

ratonmono wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 am
JMC-STL wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 pm
29 in his last 10. Fucking insane.
And yet, he'll never see his name on the Cup unless he plays somewhere else.
Maybe. It took a lot of players a career to get one, Bourque for example. But I will say the Oilers this year are definitely a better team than they have been recently. Nurse has come into his own big time. But yeah they still need 2-3 pieces for sure.
The 3rd Round is going to be interesting this year. You can't even call it the conference finals since there were no conferences. None of the final 4 will have played each other, so while most think "The North sucks and will get steamrolled except maybe not the Leafs"...who knows.

BillP. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 pm Boy is Buffalo fucked up. Had a great team for 2 years back in what, 06 and 07 when they lost in Conference Finals back to back seasons. Those teams were so good they should of made the finals at least once. Been shit ever since.
They had a couple ok seasons after that when Miller was a top 3 goalie in the league, but yeah, 10 straight playoff misses since. And it sounds like Eichel is pissed off about more than just losing:

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:45 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 pm Boy is Buffalo fucked up. Had a great team for 2 years back in what, 06 and 07 when they lost in Conference Finals back to back seasons. Those teams were so good they should of made the finals at least once. Been shit ever since.
They had a couple ok seasons after that when Miller was a top 3 goalie in the league, but yeah, 10 straight playoff misses since. And it sounds like Eichel is pissed off about more than just losing:
Feel bad for the Sabres faithful. Also feel bad for Dahlin, Cozens, and soon to be Owen Power
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:54 pm
Feel bad for the Sabres faithful. Also feel bad for Dahlin, Cozens, and soon to be Owen Power
The Sabres are the textbook example of why I would never want any team I root for to commit to a tank. They'd been floudering a couple seasons, then they traded every goalie that had the nerve to make a save during the McDavid draft year. Sure they wound up with a generational prospect in Eichel as a result, but at what cost? Winning is part roster and coaching of course, but a not insignificant amount is also organization-wide culture. Guys like Eichel and other young players that came into the league during the Sabres down years surely give an honest effort every game, but who is there to teach them everything it takes. Hell they traded the only player that seemed to be bothered by losing a couple summers ago (can't recall what happened to him...anybody know?). It can't just be a couple imported veterans every year. Good luck Sabres fans, you're going to need it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 pm Awesome additions to ESPN's crew next year. If they do right on the play by play side of things (keep Buccigross out of the booth for the love of God), I think the game broadcasts are going to be great next year.
I would also add... keep politics out of the broadcasts. I tune in for hockey, not lectures on wokeness.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:54 pm
Is Dahlin the next Erik Johnson? He took about 4 steps backwards this year. He was total shit.

Aesa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 pmAwesome additions to ESPN's crew next year. If they do right on the play by play side of things (keep Buccigross out of the booth for the love of God), I think the game broadcasts are going to be great next year.
I would also add... keep politics out of the broadcasts. I tune in for hockey, not lectures on wokeness.
With an attitude like that, @Aesa, you need some serious woke-ing laid down upon you. ;)