Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:00 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:37 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am

That is bull shit. Why doesn't the commissioner step in and veto this move? He should. I haven't paid attention nor do I remember if a Commissioner has stepped in recently and vetoed a move in a major sport but I know once upon a time a Baseball Commission used to intervene and veto a move.
He's not vetoing it because its not against the rules and has happened tons of times. Seabrook, Pronger, Datsyuk...loads of examples. In the NBA years ago the Commissioner vetoed a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers (I think) then days later he was traded to the Clippers. I'm not a huge NBA guy so I don't recall the details, but I think that pissed a lot of people off.
If I remember, it was because they thought that trade would be the league to unbalanced which is wild.

But loads of examples doesn't mean its right. It's not in the spirit of the rule. The purchase of a cap floor is to make teams spend and try to be competitive. What's the purpose of it if they only have to spend on paper but not in actual real life dollars or talent.
It may be legal, but it is still bullshit.

That is bull shit. Why doesn't the commissioner step in and veto this move? He should. I haven't paid attention nor do I remember if a Commissioner has stepped in recently and vetoed a move in a major sport but I know once upon a time a Baseball Commission used to intervene and veto a move.
He's not vetoing it because its not against the rules and has happened tons of times. Seabrook, Pronger, Datsyuk...loads of examples. In the NBA years ago the Commissioner vetoed a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers (I think) then days later he was traded to the Clippers. I'm not a huge NBA guy so I don't recall the details, but I think that pissed a lot of people off.
If I remember, it was because they thought that trade would be the league to unbalanced which is wild.

But loads of examples doesn't mean its right. It's not in the spirit of the rule. The purchase of a cap floor is to make teams spend and try to be competitive. What's the purpose of it if they only have to spend on paper but not in actual real life dollars or talent.
Hey man, that 7th round pick might put them over the top!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:20 am

I like a lower cap floor. I'd rather see a team rebuild faster instead of adding these dead ass old contracts to get up to the floor.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:41 pm

I like a lower cap floor. I'd rather see a team rebuild faster instead of adding these dead ass old contracts to get up to the floor.
This bothers me a lot less than being able to completely ignore the cap during the playoffs. But that's just me.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:41 pm

This bothers me a lot less than being able to completely ignore the cap during the playoffs. But that's just me.
Oh definitely. The cap should count in the playoffs.

I think there was an Ilya Kovalchuk contract that was voided for cap-circumvention. There may have been a few others, too.
Players on IR still get paid (I think something like 80% comes from insurance after a certain point). they just don't count against the cap. As long as the players are still getting paid, and not reducing the total amount being paid out to players overall, the NHLPA is probably OK with it. so if the owners are OK with it, too, it's not likely to change.

I cant see Rob Thomas or Kyrou - knowing they were destined for greatness and play in the NHL (as the other current NHL'ers on this former team) would've taken in on this deplorable action. BUT that is through my blues colored glasses/the few interviews I've gotten to see of those two.

God help us if they did, and are jailed/royally screws our team and ruined a females life....
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:15 pm I cant see Rob Thomas or Kyrou - knowing they were destined for greatness and play in the NHL (as the other current NHL'ers on this former team) would've taken in on this deplorable action. BUT that is through my blues colored glasses/the few interviews I've gotten to see of those two.

God help us if they did, and are jailed/royally screws our team and ruined a females life....
You certainly hope it wasn't one of those two. I'll be sick if it was though.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:15 pm I cant see Rob Thomas or Kyrou - knowing they were destined for greatness and play in the NHL (as the other current NHL'ers on this former team) would've taken in on this deplorable action. BUT that is through my blues colored glasses/the few interviews I've gotten to see of those two.

I'm not making any assumptions one way or the other since I don't know them. It's just a shame and I hope whoever was involved gets crushed.

T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:12 pm The NHL getting involved now too. How long before names start being dropped of the hockey players who were at the event.
"the event" is a kind way to put this. glad the NHL is taking ownership here too.
No. This all happened at a golf event and there were players from the U20 and other junior players there. So what I, along with everyone else is waiting for is for people to start deducing which players that were actually involved and dropping names.

Some agents have already come out and stated that their clients were not involved.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:30 pm
T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:12 pm The NHL getting involved now too. How long before names start being dropped of the hockey players who were at the event.
"the event" is a kind way to put this. glad the NHL is taking ownership here too.
No. This all happened at a golf event and there were players from the U20 and other junior players there. So what I, along with everyone else is waiting for is for people to start deducing which players that were actually involved and dropping names.

Some agents have already come out and stated that their clients were not involved.
Doug Armstrong's first question for any prospective draft choice should be:
"You don't play golf, do you?"

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:29 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:42 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:56 pm Shea weber to buffalo (the new arizona) for future considerations....
DAMN. Anyone that had VGK for Shea Weber wins...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/341 ... shea-weber
If a player is on LTIR and basically retired but he has a full no trade clause can they veto a trade?
Maybe pay him under the table to enforce his no trade clause?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:56 pm Shea weber to buffalo (the new arizona) for future considerations....

If a player is on LTIR and basically retired but he has a full no trade clause can they veto a trade?
That would be so petty and spiteful, I'd love it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:54 pm

That would be so petty and spiteful, I'd love it.
Mtl Mgt:
We’d like you to take one for the team.
Weber:
But if I do, I won’t be part of the team…
Mtl Mgt:
That’s what makes this so hard.