Re: News and Games around the NHL

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:28 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:51 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am

Sooooo... the Sisters make it in before Mogilny? This is a farce.
I don't' mind the Sedins making it at all, but Mogilny's continued absence is just weird. He's admittedly on the bubble statistically, but his impact on the game with his defection and 76 goal rookie year should be more than enough to have gotten him in already. It's not as if the last few classes have been stacked with no doubters that understandably keep bubble guys out. Guy Carbanneau made it in 2 years ago for the love of God.
Mogilny... 16years 990 Games 473 goals 559 assists 1032 pts
Henrik Sister: 17 yrs 1330 games 240 goals 830 assists 1070

So much for that reasoning... Mogilny is a point per game play and Henrik Sedin is a big pussy.
Wildly different eras. Mogilny's totals are inflated by playing in the 90s. I believe he only finished in the top 10 in scoring twice, though he finished tied for the league lead in goals in 93. Meanwhile each Sedin won an Art Ross. I'm not arguing against Mogilny, but slapping their career totals isn't particularly instructive to how good they were relative to their peers.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:41 pm

I don't' mind the Sedins making it at all, but Mogilny's continued absence is just weird. He's admittedly on the bubble statistically, but his impact on the game with his defection and 76 goal rookie year should be more than enough to have gotten him in already. It's not as if the last few classes have been stacked with no doubters that understandably keep bubble guys out. Guy Carbanneau made it in 2 years ago for the love of God.

So much for that reasoning... Mogilny is a point per game play and Henrik Sedin is a big pussy.
Wildly different eras. Mogilny's totals are inflated by playing in the 90s. I believe he only finished in the top 10 in scoring twice, though he finished tied for the league lead in goals in 93. Meanwhile each Sedin won an Art Ross. I'm not arguing against Mogilny, but slapping their career totals isn't particularly instructive to how good they were relative to their peers.
His totals are inflated for playing before they took the red line out? Mmmmmkay... Sedin played in a weaker era where it should have been easier to score... but okay.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 pm

His totals are inflated for playing before they took the red line out? Mmmmmkay... Sedin played in a weaker era where it should have been easier to score... but okay.
In 1992-93, Mogilny's career year, there were on average 7.26 goals scored per game. In 2009-10, Henrik Sedin's career year, there were 5.68 goals scored per game. So yes, it was significantly easier to score in Mogilny's prime. Sorry to muddle the conversation with facts.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:00 pm

In 1992-93, Mogilny's career year, there were on average 7.26 goals scored per game. In 2009-10, Henrik Sedin's career year, there were 5.68 goals scored per game. So yes, it was significantly easier to score in Mogilny's prime. Sorry to muddle the conversation with facts.
This is the same empty argument people use for Gretzky.... goalies were worse then... of course that doesn't explain why everyone from that era doesn't have 2000 points. If anything a high point per game total would indicate that the league was more skilled, and not easier to score in.... especially considering it was the "clutch and grab" era. Mogilny socred his goals without pussy rules like interference... which makes him more of a bad ass. The Sedins had an arguably easier era to play in, which means they should easily be more than point per game players.... whcih they aren't and they are both whiny bitches, so they deserve this honor even less. Sorry to muddle the conversation with perspective.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm

A very Scandinavian class.
Sooooo... the Sisters make it in before Mogilny? This is a farce.
That was his 4th year

Selanne still holds the record for rookie goals in a season with 72
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:21 pm

This is the same empty argument people use for Gretzky.... goalies were worse then... of course that doesn't explain why everyone from that era doesn't have 2000 points. If anything a high point per game total would indicate that the league was more skilled, and not easier to score in.... especially considering it was the "clutch and grab" era. Mogilny socred his goals without pussy rules like interference... which makes him more of a bad ass. The Sedins had an arguably easier era to play in, which means they should easily be more than point per game players.... whcih they aren't and they are both whiny bitches, so they deserve this honor even less. Sorry to muddle the conversation with perspective.
More goals were scored in the Mogilny era and he never got particularly close to leading the league in points. Each of the Sedins led the league in points in an era where goals were harder to come by. Don't get me wrong, I am a Mogilny fan and started this line of conversation by agreeing with you that it's a crime that he's not in already. Is Mogilny more of a badass? Of course. That's a low bar to clear and he did so before he even joined the league. The Sedins were very good at hockey, which is a very good way to get into the hockey hall of fame. Easier era to play in for the Sedins? Sure I suppose in many regards, but it was a lot harder to produce offense, and they did so better than everyone except others that will also waltz into the Hall, and that's why they're in.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm

More goals were scored in the Mogilny era and he never got particularly close to leading the league in points. Each of the Sedins led the league in points in an era where goals were harder to come by. Don't get me wrong, I am a Mogilny fan and started this line of conversation by agreeing with you that it's a crime that he's not in already. Is Mogilny more of a badass? Of course. That's a low bar to clear and he did so before he even joined the league. The Sedins were very good at hockey, which is a very good way to get into the hockey hall of fame. Easier era to play in for the Sedins? Sure I suppose in many regards, but it was a lot harder to produce offense, and they did so better than everyone except others that will also waltz into the Hall, and that's why they're in.
This does not add up... easier, but harder... it is way easier to score now... why don't players score more? Easy... modern players are all pussies.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:52 pm

This does not add up... easier, but harder... it is way easier to score now... why don't players score more? Easy... modern players are all pussies.
Sorry I confused you with a compound sentence.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:58 pm

You confused yourself by being wrong ...if it was a harder era, your words, then it was harder to score. The Sedin's played in a softer era and scored less...which equals... they suck. The more you know...

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 pm

You confused yourself by being wrong ...if it was a harder era, your words, then it was harder to score. The Sedin's played in a softer era and scored less...which equals... they suck. The more you know...
Good night Cap. I hope you have sweet dreams of false equivalencies (google it). Also I'll leave you with this, which was the first mention of the Sedins' era being harder to play in:
CaptSMRT wrote:

The Sedins had an arguably easier era to play in,

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:11 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 pm

Good night Cap. I hope you have sweet dreams of false equivalencies (google it). Also I'll leave you with this, which was the first mention of the Sedins' era being harder to play in:
CaptSMRT wrote:

The Sedins had an arguably easier era to play in,
Do robots dream of electric mistakes in your fantasy world? You are living Abbot and Costello routine... "It was an easier era to play in, but harder to score."

Sedin era easier to play from a physical standpoint. Harder to play from a point producing standpoint.
In fairness, though, Mogilny played a large part of his career during the dead puck era. I believe scoring started to dip in the 95-96 season when the Devils started the neutral zone trap. So at least half of his career was played when the NHL sucked to watch. And it did suck.
But scoring was robust during the late 80's and early 90's and Mogilny was the recipient of that as well.
Best era in hockey without a doubt. The 1988-1994 window was great action ---- Hockey was never better. If you want to say 85 to 94, I'll go along with that too.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:34 am Sedin era easier to play from a physical standpoint. Harder to play from a point producing standpoint.
In fairness, though, Mogilny played a large part of his career during the dead puck era. I believe scoring started to dip in the 95-96 season when the Devils started the neutral zone trap. So at least half of his career was played when the NHL sucked to watch. And it did suck.
But scoring was robust during the late 80's and early 90's and Mogilny was the recipient of that as well.
Best era in hockey without a doubt. The 1988-1994 window was great action ---- Hockey was never better. If you want to say 85 to 94, I'll go along with that too.
Really it was the late 90s early 2000s when things got borderline unwatchable. You had the trap, legal obstruction, and goalies wearing pads roughly 8 miles wide. Scoring bottomed out at around 5.3 goals per game in 02. The Sedins were just starting out in the league at that point. The thing is, after the 04-05, lockout scoring jumped to 6.1 goals per game, but dipped back down to 5.5 within 3 years and pretty much stayed there with some fluctuation until around 2017-18, when it started to rise to around 6.

But yeah, agree wholeheartedly that the late 80s early 90s was the best to watch.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:53 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:34 am Sedin era easier to play from a physical standpoint. Harder to play from a point producing standpoint.
Really it was the late 90s early 2000s when things got borderline unwatchable. You had the trap, legal obstruction, and goalies wearing pads roughly 8 miles wide. Scoring bottomed out at around 5.3 goals per game in 02. The Sedins were just starting out in the league at that point. The thing is, after the 04-05, lockout scoring jumped to 6.1 goals per game, but dipped back down to 5.5 within 3 years and pretty much stayed there with some fluctuation until around 2017-18, when it started to rise to around 6.

But yeah, agree wholeheartedly that the late 80s early 90s was the best to watch.
It was harder... but easier

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

Congrats, you finally get it!

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

TWSS

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:38 pm Former Blues draft pick gets new job:
Was always a big fan of his style of play as a player. Good for the Sharks to give someone new a try versus going to the recycle machine
The thing that's insane to me is that they've been officially looking for a new GM since April, and it took them until the week of the draft to hire a guy that had been a rumored front runner since the very start of the process. Fine by me though, the Sharks haven't been likeable since the Arturs Irbe era.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:38 pm Former Blues draft pick gets new job:
Was always a big fan of his style of play as a player. Good for the Sharks to give someone new a try versus going to the recycle machine
The thing that's insane to me is that they've been officially looking for a new GM since April, and it took them until the week of the draft to hire a guy that had been a rumored front runner since the very start of the process. Fine by me though, the Sharks haven't been likeable since the Arturs Irbe era.
I liked Marleau. Good Saskatchewan boy.