Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:45 pm Headline says Thornton unsure about playing 25th season.

At this point, is it really his call? Would anyone want him? Doubtful.
I'd imagine no one that's competitive. Seems like his last season will be spent on a President's Trophy winner that got swept out of the playoffs. Seems fitting.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:43 pm Elliot Friedman says look for the Blues and Perron to work something out. He also said look for Army to try and extend ROR.
I've been wondering about ROR for a while. He's on the last year of his deal and isn't getting any younger. He obviously means a ton to the team and has performed somewhere between very well to extremely well during his time here. It was a long time ago, but he had a contentious negotiation with Colorado back in the day, opting to play in Europe until eventually signing an offer sheet with Calgary that the Avs matched. That was a long time ago and I'm not sure how difficult his negotiation was with Buffalo when he signed his current deal, but something to keep an eye on. He'll be 32 at the end of next season. What that next contract looks like is going to be fascinating.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:33 am
BillP. wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:43 pm Elliot Friedman says look for the Blues and Perron to work something out. He also said look for Army to try and extend ROR.
I've been wondering about ROR for a while. He's on the last year of his deal and isn't getting any younger. He obviously means a ton to the team and has performed somewhere between very well to extremely well during his time here. It was a long time ago, but he had a contentious negotiation with Colorado back in the day, opting to play in Europe until eventually signing an offer sheet with Calgary that the Avs matched. That was a long time ago and I'm not sure how difficult his negotiation was with Buffalo when he signed his current deal, but something to keep an eye on. He'll be 32 at the end of next season. What that next contract looks like is going to be fascinating.
He's got skills as a centerman that aren't going to diminish much. He will be very much in demand If he does end up going to free agency after next season.

You're right it's going to be very interesting.
Last edited by BluesSK on Tue May 31, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave's a mess wrote:
I'm going to guess Army won't have the same concerns about ROR like he did about Backes and his physical style of play. He might very well give ROR the term he desires provided he gets that hometown discount in return.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:04 am Remember that pesky little sexual assault scandal? It could get a lot more interesting and a lot more public.

FYI: we have two players from that team.

Hockey Canada execs may soon be called to testify on sexual assault settlement
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2356528
Good. See my post from a page ago about this. This needs to be heard, and those responsible need to be held accountable.

Unrelated question, what happens to a team’s salary cap if two of their players get arrested and have to serve multiple years of a sentence? Asking for a friend.

Ken Campbell had been tracking down agents of the players on that WJC team a week or so ago. At the time he heard back from 5 that had either confirmed they were not at the event at which the assault occurred, or had cooperated with the investigation and were cleared. Those players were Cal Foote, Makar, Fabbro, Victor Mete and Jonah Gadjovich. Take that with whatever sized grain of salt you see fit.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:07 am Ken Campbell had been tracking down agents of the players on that WJC team a week or so ago. At the time he heard back from 5 that had either confirmed they were not at the event at which the assault occurred, or had cooperated with the investigation and were cleared. Those players were Cal Foote, Makar, Fabbro, Victor Mete and Jonah Gadjovich. Take that with whatever sized grain of salt you see fit.
Damn.

What is the point of a salary cap if this stuff is allowed? It just spits in the face of the cap floor and amounts to paper shuffling.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres acquired goalie Ben Bishop in a trade with the Dallas Stars on Friday in a salary cap-related paperwork move involving a veteran who is not expected to play again because of degenerative right knee injury.

The Sabres add the final year of Bishop's contract, which represents nearly a $5 million cap hit to boost their payroll closer to the NHL's $60 million minimum. Buffalo, which also acquired a seventh-round pick in next month's draft, was projected to be nearly $20 million under the cap floor before acquiring Bishop.

The Stars, meantime, acquired future considerations from Buffalo to free Bishop's salary from their books to provide more flexibility to re-sign and add players this offseason.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/340 ... lated-move
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: What is the point of a salary cap if this stuff is allowed? It just spits in the face of the cap floor and amounts to paper shuffling.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres acquired goalie Ben Bishop in a trade with the Dallas Stars on Friday in a salary cap-related paperwork move involving a veteran who is not expected to play again because of degenerative right knee injury.

The Sabres add the final year of Bishop's contract, which represents nearly a $5 million cap hit to boost their payroll closer to the NHL's $60 million minimum. Buffalo, which also acquired a seventh-round pick in next month's draft, was projected to be nearly $20 million under the cap floor before acquiring Bishop.

The Stars, meantime, acquired future considerations from Buffalo to free Bishop's salary from their books to provide more flexibility to re-sign and add players this offseason.

That is bull shit. Why doesn't the commissioner step in and veto this move? He should. I haven't paid attention nor do I remember if a Commissioner has stepped in recently and vetoed a move in a major sport but I know once upon a time a Baseball Commission used to intervene and veto a move.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:02 am What is the point of a salary cap if this stuff is allowed? It just spits in the face of the cap floor and amounts to paper shuffling.

This is more of a cap floor issue. Doesn't bother me much. The rules are written, if the GMs find ways to use them to their advantage, good for them. We're talking about adding a 7th round pick for nothing. If they want to close this loophole they'll do it next CBA.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: What is the point of a salary cap if this stuff is allowed? It just spits in the face of the cap floor and amounts to paper shuffling.

That is bull shit. Why doesn't the commissioner step in and veto this move? He should. I haven't paid attention nor do I remember if a Commissioner has stepped in recently and vetoed a move in a major sport but I know once upon a time a Baseball Commission used to intervene and veto a move.
He's not vetoing it because its not against the rules and has happened tons of times. Seabrook, Pronger, Datsyuk...loads of examples. In the NBA years ago the Commissioner vetoed a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers (I think) then days later he was traded to the Clippers. I'm not a huge NBA guy so I don't recall the details, but I think that pissed a lot of people off.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:37 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am

He's not vetoing it because its not against the rules and has happened tons of times. Seabrook, Pronger, Datsyuk...loads of examples. In the NBA years ago the Commissioner vetoed a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers (I think) then days later he was traded to the Clippers. I'm not a huge NBA guy so I don't recall the details, but I think that pissed a lot of people off.
If I remember, it was because they thought that trade would be the league to unbalanced which is wild.

But loads of examples doesn't mean its right. It's not in the spirit of the rule. The purchase of a cap floor is to make teams spend and try to be competitive. What's the purpose of it if they only have to spend on paper but not in actual real life dollars or talent.
Just a Russian propaganda account