Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:12 am
T.C. wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:04 pm Dio-era Sabbath reference FTW.

the more the league panders to über-woke nonsense, the less i am interested in supporting. hope they get their shit together real fucking soon.
hmmm, interesting. Is it the league or the networks? It feels like the networks are hyper-sensitive to everything in that even before there is any actual outrage, they try to get in front of everything and end up drawing attention to it themselves.
Yeah this strikes me very much as a "let's just nip this in the bud and move on". When people say offensive things on air it's fine to hold them accountable, but this isn't even offensive, it's just people jumping to conclusions without even bothering to understand the context.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:09 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:39 am Anybody on here know of a team with a bold GM that loves acquiring big name defensemen that's looking to rebuild a blue line?

Maybe it was a product of him not wanting to be there anymore but he was pretty average this season.
Yeah he wasn't good this year. The team kind of fell of a cliff this year, and he ate up most of the hard minutes. He's also right handed, and seems set on hitting the open market after next season anyway, so I'm not sure how good of a fit it would be anyway. But we know Army doesn't shy away from big deals, doesn't let handedness get in the way of fit on the blue line (see Faulk trade), and Jones is big, young, and can skate and move the puck. Was this down year because he had Torts fatigue? Because the team just sucked overall? Maybe a nagging injury? Who knows. No idea what the return would look like assuming he's not going to agree to an extension before the trade, but I'm sure Armstrong is at least calling his old buddy Jarmo.

BillP. wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:01 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:39 am Anybody on here know of a team with a bold GM that loves acquiring big name defensemen that's looking to rebuild a blue line?

Sign and trade. Parayko part of deal? I’m sure DA will make a call.
If you're Columbus and you have to trade Jones, I'm asking for futures. Parayko would be a nice swap in a hockey deal, but if you're trading Jones it's time to blow it up and build for the future. Not sure that's what they want to do, but I think that's the prudent route.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 am We all had Adam Fox in our Norris finalist preseason predictions, right?

I'd put him first this year to be honest. Makar would've run away with it if he'd been healthy all year, but he wasn't. Hedman being nominated just shows how little the writers paid attention outside of their own divisions this year. Sure he was playing hurt the second half of the year, but he was super shitty during that time.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 pm
Too much bread to risk on damaged goods.
I'm down. Bring him on. Even if it doesn't result in another cup we will at least have a player for the next five years that's worth the price of admission.
he wants disc replacement surgery and the team doctors don't want him too.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Too much bread to risk on damaged goods.
I'm down. Bring him on. Even if it doesn't result in another cup we will at least have a player for the next five years that's worth the price of admission.
I'm aware. They forced him to do the long-term rehab which risks more serious injuries that might lead to a fusion surgery. The disk replacement is a quicker surgery with shorter recovery time. Spinal fusion has just been around longer but disk replacement by all accounts looks to be the better option going forward. GMs and owners are just conservative and risk averse by nature. Buffalo's organization is a dumpster fire. Get the third best player in the league the hell out of there.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:32 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm aware. They forced him to do the long-term rehab which risks more serious injuries that might lead to a fusion surgery. The disk replacement is a quicker surgery with shorter recovery time. Spinal fusion has just been around longer but disk replacement by all accounts looks to be the better option going forward. GMs and owners are just conservative and risk averse by nature. Buffalo's organization is a dumpster fire. Get the third best player in the league the hell out of there.
It would be the Berglund revenge if he wound up here.... he's stub his toe and wind up a quadriplegic.... and that 10M/yr contract would probably have a few current players knocking on Army's door sayin' "Hey Bud, we need to talk."

Re: Eichel. There are risks with both options. That's probably why there are two camps of opinions. Back injuries are really unpredictable.

I would stay clear. We've already got one player with a bad back who I'm leery of re-signing

These young guys shouldn't have bad backs at their age. The NHL needs to lay off the weight training and be more into flexibility.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:32 pm Re: Eichel. There are risks with both options. That's probably why there are two camps of opinions. Back injuries are really unpredictable.

I would stay clear. We've already got one player with a bad back who I'm leery of re-signing

These young guys shouldn't have bad backs at their age. The NHL needs to lay off the weight training and be more into flexibility.
It’s neck not his back cervical disk replacement. It happened from a nasty hit not too much weightlifting. I’m all aboard the Eichel train.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 am Should we have interest?

I like him as a player and he fits a need for sure, but this would strike me as an very risky signing. If he's looking for $6M/year on a long term deal and will no longer be playing with 2 of the top 10 most talented forwards in the league...lookout. If he's not willing to give Toronto a discount, I don't know why he'd give one to anyone else.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:32 pm
Man, I've generally liked ESPN's hires, but I don't think this one is going to go well at all. Messier obviously knows the game inside out and might have more great stories than any player in NHL history, but every time I see him talk he just strikes me as the dullest man on the planet. I'm sure he's not at all when the cameras are off, but that's not the case here. I hope I'm wrong.