Re: Babcock has permission to talk to other teams

rbartnik wrote:
zilch wrote:Hahah. I've never heard of that before. A draft pick in return for a coach. That's funny.

Hell, I hope we make a strong pitch to him, and he comes here. I like his fire.
It's happened in other sports, but there are usually first rounders involved. A third is pretty paltry compensation.
I mean it makes sense considering he's still under contract. It probably speaks more to the fact I don't pay much attention to other sports that I haven't heard of it. There's no way I'd want to give up a first rounder, but a third rounder definitely seems fair. Knowing the Wings drafting, though, it's probably turn out to be another Zetterberg.

And knowing the Blues luck, we'd lose in the first round under our supposed savior Babcock. :( ...... :cry:

Re: Babcock granted permission to speak with other teams

I don't see anyway possible the Blues can afford Babcock, I heard 5 year deal upwards of $40 mil on NHL radio this week. There are only a few owners that can afford that. Katz, Pegula and MLSE immediately come to mind. That is a lot of cash for a coach.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

rbartnik wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:I don't see anyway possible the Blues can afford Babcock, I heard 5 year deal upwards of $40 mil on NHL radio this week. There are only a few owners that can afford that. Katz, Pegula and MLSE immediately come to mind. That is a lot of cash for a coach.
I don't buy that. There isn't a coach in the league that's worth that money.
That's one of the reasons I'd rather have McLellan. I'm not convinced that Babcock doesn't come in a package deal that includes Dan Cleary as well. :D

rbartnik wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:I don't see anyway possible the Blues can afford Babcock, I heard 5 year deal upwards of $40 mil on NHL radio this week. There are only a few owners that can afford that. Katz, Pegula and MLSE immediately come to mind. That is a lot of cash for a coach.

He's already making $2mil and he wants to raise the bar, not just for himself but for all coaches. He wants to change the industry. When you have an up and coming team and a new building to fill, $8mil a year is nothing to a guy like Daryl Katz or even Terry Pegula.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

rbartnik wrote:
I've heard $5M per year. He's going to get paid no question, and I don't doubt a deep pocketed team will bat an eye paying him.

NHLTIM wrote:He's already making $2mil and he wants to raise the bar, not just for himself but for all coaches. He wants to change the industry. When you have an up and coming team and a new building to fill, $8mil a year is nothing to a guy like Daryl Katz or even Terry Pegula.
Yeah, still don't buy it. He's not the second coming of Scotty Bowman, and he's not worth four times as much as what he's getting paid now.

Seriously... what coach signs a four year extension, gets knocked out of the playoffs in the first round for three of those four years, and quadruples his salary?

He's probably going to double it (which is still pretty nuts) and get $4-5m, but 8? No way.

rbartnik wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:He's already making $2mil and he wants to raise the bar, not just for himself but for all coaches. He wants to change the industry. When you have an up and coming team and a new building to fill, $8mil a year is nothing to a guy like Daryl Katz or even Terry Pegula.
Yeah, still don't buy it. He's not the second coming of Scotty Bowman, and he's not worth four times as much as what he's getting paid now.

Seriously... what coach signs a four year extension, gets knocked out of the playoffs in the first round for three of those four years, and quadruples his salary?

He's probably going to double it (which is still pretty nuts) and get $4-5m, but 8? No way.
I personally say he's going to get $6mil per year...probably something like 5/30. The report on NHL Radio was 35-40mil total.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:
rbartnik wrote:

I personally say he's going to get $6mil per year...probably something like 5/30. The report on NHL Radio was 35-40mil total.
I will be stunned if he signs for less than 6mill a year. Some deep pocket owner, figuring Babcock will get his team over the hump and win the Cup, will shell out that much in the blink of an eye.