Skill becoming more important than size...

Although all they've won is one round and their first two games, this article brings up good points on how teams like the Lightning are being creative, while many teams still going after size and toughness.

Have Blues missed the boat or do recent additions of Fabbri etc show DA is transforming?

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-ho ... raid-to-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: Skill becoming more important than size...

You'd like to think so, but the league can't decide which brand of hockey that they want to promote. Little guys will always lose against head-hunters, and therein lies the problem. The NHL has no problem with a marginal player taking out the players that they should be marketing. They have boundaries that are written on paper, but they show no inclination to enforce those boundaries....unless, of course, you play for a less favorite team...such as the St Louis Blues.

Size is good, speed is good, but skill will always trump the other two. Case in point - Magnus Paajarvi. He has speed to burn and size (though little ability to use it) but lacks the talent to finish at the NHL level and is struggling to build a career. The pecking order, in my mind, is:

For forwards - Skill, speed, size
For defensemen - Skill, size, speed

Just one man's opinion.

MissouriMook wrote:Size is good, speed is good, but skill will always trump the other two. Case in point - Magnus Paajarvi. He has speed to burn and size (though little ability to use it) but lacks the talent to finish at the NHL level and is struggling to build a career. The pecking order, in my mind, is:

For forwards - Skill, speed, size
For defensemen - Skill, size, speed

Just one man's opinion.
Well said, I think I'd have to agree with you there.

Good points Mook. I was just reading Toms article in the PD, and while of course all players should be in their best shape, we see again the Blues telling their smaller players like Fabbri they need to add mass, rather than keep working on their skill assets. MPS and Bergs are a good example of a players that seemed confused for lack of a better term on what type of players they should be.

I just wonder if coaches spend to much emphasis on molding to a certain type of player rather than building up their given strengths?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

The NHL made it pretty blatant after the 2004 lockout what they want.

I still think hockey is won and lost with skating ability and determination. 9 times out of 10 I'll take the skater with a high compete level. It all comes down to who can get the puck faster, and who is willing to pay the price. I'll take the guys that constantly want the puck more than most. Guys who win puck battles, go to the dirty areas and can skate like the wind. That is the formula to winning in the playoffs. When there is a will, there is a way type mantra. We witnessed the inverse of that mantra. The Blues had size and skill, but I continue to question their will.

CaptSMRT wrote:Schwartz is pretty skilled...and I saw him get pushed out of the scoring areas by bigger players in every game.
True, Schwartz has been a disappointment, but so has the rest of the team. I don't think his lack of production is due to his size, but the game plan and no push from the other two lines, letting the Wild focus on the STL line. Plus having Lehtera hurt din't help either for the last two games.

Point is there are plenty of smaller players who are doing good, but again, I think that may have more to do with the coach building a system around his players strengths, rather than trying to have them 'buy in' all the time to his system.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Schwartz is pretty skilled...and I saw him get pushed out of the scoring areas by bigger players in every game.
True, Schwartz has been a disappointment, but so has the rest of the team. I don't think his lack of production is due to his size, but the game plan and no push from the other two lines, letting the Wild focus on the STL line. Plus having Lehtera hurt din't help either for the last two games.

Point is there are plenty of smaller players who are doing good, but again, I think that may have more to do with the coach building a system around his players strengths, rather than trying to have them 'buy in' all the time to his system.
Have to agree, if the idiot behind the bench used his players strengths instead of trying to get them to play 1990s brand of hockey Schwartz would be a major force offensively. Imho.