Do you favor the death penalty?

Yes
Total votes: 8 (73%)
No
Total votes: 3 (27%)
Total votes: 11

Re: Do you favor the death penalty?

CaptSMRT wrote:Big waste of money and never proven to be an adequate deterrent. Lock them up and throw away the key...unless they are Counting Crows fans...then burn them at the stake!
NO WAY! It would be a LOT cheaper if they carried out the sentence right away!

A criminal attorney was just on the news last week and said what a good life her client has in prison. He is serving life without parole yet he gets French toast, bacon, steak, Twinkies, and Cherry coke! Plus he can visit his family anytime he wants!

The people he killed CANNOT do ANY of that! You obviously are a pansy when it comes to criminals and don't care about justice!

I don't see it as much of a deterrent, for what THAT is worth. People who murder people don't usually value ANY life- even their own- very much.

An interesting twist would be some kind of "Ned Stark Rule" where, if any victim or any loved ones and/or relations of a dead victim wanted the Death Penalty- THEY would have to push the button.

CaptSMRT wrote:The only people the death penalty steers away from crime are people not likely to offend. I find retribution to be a waste of resources...lock them in a hole.
You could not be further from the truth! Killers value their OWN life very much! 98% of these callous murderers try every appeal and trick they can to get OFF death row and stay alive! Yet they had NO respect for the life of their victims!

They and heartless and without remorse and need to die NOW!

umslbirdie wrote:I don't see it as much of a deterrent, for what THAT is worth. People who murder people don't usually value ANY life- even their own- very much.

An interesting twist would be some kind of "Ned Stark Rule" where, if any victim or any loved ones and/or relations of a dead victim wanted the Death Penalty- THEY would have to push the button.
It's clearly not a deterrent. We have the death penalty in 32 states and those 32 states have some of the highest violent crime rates in the country. In fact according to the FBI, Tennesse has the most violent crimes per 100,00 citizens and Tennessee is very proudly pro-death penalty as a whole. It's not a deterrent at all.

http://www.securitymagazine.com/article ... lent-crime" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.C. wrote:it's not a deterrent because of how "humanely" the sentence is carried out. not just the actual sentence, but the 7-10 years of relatively good livin' on death row. they should be kept alive exactly as long as they can afford to pay for it themselves, rather than tax payers.
1344749-judge_dredd.jpg
^^^This^^^

My support of the death penalty is not because I think it is a deterrent against future crime, but because it eliminates the need for me to work another 2-3 hours a week to support a growing prison population. Use the death penalty as it was intended, and stop wasting time and taxpayer money keeping people alive who've chosen to throw their lives away. Spend the money we waste on prisoners to provide better education to people who haven't already chosen the wrong path and try to keep people from becoming criminals in the first place.

CaptSMRT wrote:There are no measurable benefits from Capital Punishment, it costs too much money just for a little retribution.
It actually costs a lot LESS if they simply carry out the sentence soon after it's handed down. There's PLENTY of benefit because we are no longer supporting a vicious killer with 3 meals a day and a tasty soda of his choice! Not to mention all the other free services he gets like medical, social, psychological, and volleyball & basketball!

We should NOT be PAYING for killers to play sports and eat 5 course meals on us!

CaptSMRT wrote:Putting them in Prison is the price we pay for living in society. Not having prisons be Murder machines is the price we pay for not being a bunch of Hitlers.
COME ON dude! HUGE difference! Hitler took innocent people off the street who were never convicted of ANY crime and killed them!

Death row prisoners have been tried and convicted of brutal and heinous crimes!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:Putting them in Prison is the price we pay for living in society. Not having prisons be Murder machines is the price we pay for not being a bunch of Hitlers.
COME ON dude! HUGE difference! Hitler took innocent people off the street who were never convicted of ANY crime and killed them!

Death row prisoners have been tried and convicted of brutal and heinous crimes!
Hayzoos is right on the money here. The comparison you made is apples and oranges.

Jews were civil innocents. Death Row inmates are convicted murderers.

I haven't studied the economics of it, so, you may be right.

Some of the most compelling post trial comments have been words of forgiveness by the victims surviving loved ones. That has made a huge impression on me through the years. If someone whose loved one was taken from can forgive and move on - then maybe there is hope that the murderer can forgive him or herself and become a positive influence in their own world inside prison.

StL Dan wrote:I haven't studied the economics of it, so, you may be right.

Some of the most compelling post trial comments have been words of forgiveness by the victims surviving loved ones. That has made a huge impression on me through the years. If someone whose loved one was taken from can forgive and move on - then maybe there is hope that the murderer can forgive him or herself and become a positive influence in their own world inside prison.
I'm not trying to save souls. Lock them up in the dungeon of prison rape.