Why don't we ever hear anything out of Jackman?

I know he's not the sharpest knife in the kitchen, and I know he's never been an out front spokesman type of guy.

But this guy supposedly wants to play his whole career with the Blues, I've always felt like he did buy into the whole wearing the Blue Note hype. And I've felt like it's part of the reason the Blues have kept him around.

So now that things aren't working out, I want to hear what he thinks. And I want to know why isn't he lighting people up in the locker room for not giving effort? Or did he actually try?

Surely he was pissed off and disgusted by the team showing no heart, right? I know I still am, and if I was him I sure as hell wouldn't have sat around and let it ride and I wouldn't be keeping anything to myself now either.

Anyway.......

Re: Why don't we ever hear anything out of Jackman?

Like everybody else, I don't know what does, or does not, go on in the room. My take has been that he tries to help out where he can, while trying not to step on Backes's shoes as the Captain. I remember when Perron was frustrated because Walt, Mayers, and others were pissed at him, it was Jackman he turned to for guidance on how to get them off his back. When Oshie got suspended, and the team was out of town, it was Jackman, injured at the time, who called him up and invited him over to his place to spend Christmas eve, and had a long talk with him. Guys like Polak, Shatty, Cole, etc. at one time or another have talked about what a good mentor he has been for them.
I always thought that he should have been the Captain instead of Backes, but strangely enough, the Blues didn't consult with me. :)
If the Blues let him walk, I would not be at all surprised to see either Chicago or Detroit sign him.
Last edited by barnburner on Fri May 01, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

If the Blues let him walk, Coach Q will be all over him to help fill out his D for next season. Jackman also said he wants to play another 4-5 years so that pretty much guarantees he's never going to finish his career with just one team.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

barnburner wrote:
Man in the box wrote:If Jackman is playing a regular shift with the Hawks next year I don't see how that can't be good for us. Addition by substraction
My guess is before next season is over, a lot of Blues fans are going to wish he hadn't left
Oh I would like him to stay as depth for sure. I don't mind Jax at all. I just think he's past the point of playing 80 games a season.

Man in the box wrote:
barnburner wrote:
Man in the box wrote:If Jackman is playing a regular shift with the Hawks next year I don't see how that can't be good for us. Addition by substraction
My guess is before next season is over, a lot of Blues fans are going to wish he hadn't left
Oh I would like him to stay as depth for sure. I don't mind Jax at all. I just think he's past the point of playing 80 games a season.
I truely believe that Jax being here next season is 100% depending on him. If he's willing to take a pay cut to be the 6/7 guy, mentor to our young D and see dramatically reduced ice time, he'll still be a Blue. If he wants to be a 4/5 defenseman and be paid accordingly, he will be wearing another sweater

I personally believe that if Jax took off season conditioning seriously he can be a 4/5 D and play 80 games. But the guy is out of gas by the end of the season. This year at the beginning he was skating like he had concrete on his skates it showed he was out of shape in the beginning of the season.

Last year he did the same thing, but I have to say he showed he was slightly better shape than last years 1st round playoffs.

91Blues wrote:I personally believe that if Jax took off season conditioning seriously he can be a 4/5 D and play 80 games. But the guy is out of gas by the end of the season. This year at the beginning he was skating like he had concrete on his skates it showed he was out of shape in the beginning of the season.

Last year he did the same thing, but I have to say he showed he was slightly better shape than last years 1st round playoffs.
Sorry, can't agree. Jackman is noted for working hard on his off season conditioning. If I recall correctly, he follows the same offseason conditioning return MacInnis used.
He's never been a fast skater, but overall, he had a very good season.
He gets pinned in his zone at times, but he is suprisingly smart with the puck and his pinches in the offensive zone.
Generally, if you see him struggling with his skating at times, it usually means he's playing with an injury that would keep most players out of the lineup.

scottie18 wrote:I think this thread has two comments that sum up how fans have no clue what is going on and are just thinking with their emotions some of the time.

Jackman is a very smart individual.
Jackman works his ass off in the offseason.
I never said Jackman wasn't smart. He doesn't do a lot of interviews and when he does he doesn't say a lot and doesn't seem real comfortable. Usually the guys who do the talking for a team are outgoing, and Jackman isn't.

I get the impression Jackman is of normal average intelligence.

But since you are special and you do know what's going on, how about you share how you know that he is a "very smart individual?"

Qapod The Mortician wrote:
scottie18 wrote:I think this thread has two comments that sum up how fans have no clue what is going on and are just thinking with their emotions some of the time.

Jackman is a very smart individual.
Jackman works his ass off in the offseason.
I never said Jackman wasn't smart. He doesn't do a lot of interviews and when he does he doesn't say a lot and doesn't seem real comfortable. Usually the guys who do the talking for a team are outgoing, and Jackman isn't.

I get the impression Jackman is of normal average intelligence.

But since you are special and you do know what's going on, how about you share how you know that he is a "very smart individual?"
I took his two examples, as a shot at my post where I said Jackman was smart with the puck in the offensive zone, and worked hard on his off season conditioning.

barnburner wrote:
91Blues wrote:I personally believe that if Jax took off season conditioning seriously he can be a 4/5 D and play 80 games. But the guy is out of gas by the end of the season. This year at the beginning he was skating like he had concrete on his skates it showed he was out of shape in the beginning of the season.

Sorry, can't agree. Jackman is noted for working hard on his off season conditioning. If I recall correctly, he follows the same offseason conditioning return MacInnis used.
He gets pinned in his zone at times, but he is suprisingly smart with the puck and his pinches in the offensive zone.
Generally, if you see him struggling with his skating at times, it usually means he's playing with an injury that would keep most players out of the lineup.
Jackman does the same work out regiment that MacInnis did in the offseason? :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude that is the biggest load of crap.

91Blues wrote:
barnburner wrote:

Jackman does the same work out regiment that MacInnis did in the offseason? :lol: :lol: :lol: Dude that is the biggest load of crap.

Well Dude, it was MacInnis that got him involved in that program.

Barnburner, my comment was for the two people who mentioned those specific things. I have no idea how you could possibly take that as a comment about you, but ok.

Qapod, saying someone "is not the sharpest knife in the drawer" is not saying that they are of average intelligence. Perhaps you have had that said about you and did not realize it was an insult. How do I know he is a very smart individual? From the multiple conversations I have had with him both about hockey and about other topics.

scottie18 wrote:Barnburner, my comment was for the two people who mentioned those specific things. I have no idea how you could possibly take that as a comment about you, but ok.

Qapod, saying someone "is not the sharpest knife in the drawer" is not saying that they are of average intelligence. Perhaps you have had that said about you and did not realize it was an insult. How do I know he is a very smart individual? From the multiple conversations I have had with him both about hockey and about other topics.
I have never thought of that expression as necessarily meaning someone was stupid--not being the smartest doesn't mean you're stupid. But for the hell of it let's say most people don't agree with that, and you're right, it's a pretty strong insult. I guess I just never thought of that expression in much detail. Thanks for helping me see the light.

Now if it's not asking too much, could you do me another favor? The next time you and 'ol Jax are sitting around shooting the shit, smoking cigars or barbequing on your patio and throwing down some brews, could you maybe ask him (say it's for a friend) why we don't ever hear anything out of him about the Blues ongoing unwillingness to give 60 minutes of effort? Maybe ask how he felt about the team being so flat in so many games against the Wild in the playoffs this year. Does it bother him? Does he try to light a fire under any of his lazy teammates asses? Does he try to motivate these guys but they're just a bunch of prima donnas? I've always respected the hell out of him, and like I said he's the one guy I've always thought really did buy into loving wearing the Blue Note. It just seems like that would make him want to explode when we look at the poor showing the team made this year.

I apologize for asking this of you, but doggone it, it's really the reason I started this fucking thread and I'd really like to know the answers.

Thanks in advance buddy.