Re: One interesting thing of note

insideout wrote:It's funny how much praise this same person received little over a year ago for his comments about being a hero in Sochi. And now he's back to being the gum chomping t-shirt and baseball cap wearing bum.
i don't think it's very funny. easy for him to avoid if he simply shows up and plays to the best of his abilities OR at least like he gives a shit.

Blues Are Backes wrote:Everyone calling for his head.. was he really THAT bad? He falls a lot, we know that, he has a history of under performing in the playoffs, sure. But i mean, Jesus, the guy ended up with pretty good year for being so bad in the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone gave him a shot to eclipse 50 points. But that SOB line was unstoppable in early 2015. Just have to find a way to translate that into the playoffs.
Obviously, with all the other stuff going on in his life, I think he had a pretty good year. Maybe thats just me.
It's not just his continued pattern of becoming invisible in the playoffs. It's also his stupid statements to the media, and his ducking responsibility for his share of the blame. Other players like Shatty step up. Oshie slithers out the door.

barnburner wrote:
Blues Are Backes wrote:Everyone calling for his head.. was he really THAT bad? He falls a lot, we know that, he has a history of under performing in the playoffs, sure. But i mean, Jesus, the guy ended up with pretty good year for being so bad in the beginning of the season. I don't think anyone gave him a shot to eclipse 50 points. But that SOB line was unstoppable in early 2015. Just have to find a way to translate that into the playoffs.
Obviously, with all the other stuff going on in his life, I think he had a pretty good year. Maybe thats just me.
It's not just his continued pattern of becoming invisible in the playoffs. It's also his stupid statements to the media, and his ducking responsibility for his share of the blame. Other players like Shatty step up. Oshie slithers out the door.
I will say, I love how big shatty has stepped up, both his play and leadership. Need more of that.

I think the playoffs carry a ton of weight, people are tired of the Blues and Oshie just doing well during the regular season and then rolling over in the playoffs. I've been a big supporter of Oshie and always credited him with doing a lot of things that help the team even when he's not scoring. But in the playoffs he does nothing well. Yes, he was that bad in the playoffs again this year. And like most people, I've had my fill of it.

I've always supported Oshie, and I always thought his poor playoff performances were injury related. This year was the last straw for me. It is more a matter of will with him than any physical injury. I don't want him back next season, and this is coming from a Oshie supporter since he played at North Dakota.

Cujo pretty much laid it out perfectly earlier in the thread.

Oshie is part of trade rumors
Pre-deadline Oshie lights it up
Post-deadline Oshie goes back to coasting

He pulled a Contract Year Courtnall....or Brewer. Whichever you prefer.

Oshie has never made the commitment to being the best NHLer he can be. He's never worked to improve his skating which is really going to contribute to his career slide in the next few years. The trade deadline was really the time to move him, but like others have said he "turned it back on" just enough to sucker management into keeping him.

If people thought Dany Heatley's career decline was fast wait a couple of years to see how Oshie's turns out.

I just hope he isn't a Blue next fall.

Here is another reason why I would trade Oshie (for good value, obviously). This is meant to be a serious post and not smart ass or insensitive:

TJ has had a couple of concussions in recent years. His dad gets diagnosed with Alzheimer's at a ridiculously early age. If I'm him, it probably doesn't take more than one more concussion before I say fuck it and walk away and retire. Smoking hot wife (to be), little daughter, and probably this shitty feeling of dred that you might be at risk of Alzheimer's as well. He already has enough money in the bank (or will by the end of his contract) to retire. Just a thought.

Matangama wrote:Here is another reason why I would trade Oshie (for good value, obviously). This is meant to be a serious post and not smart ass or insensitive:

TJ has had a couple of concussions in recent years. His dad gets diagnosed with Alzheimer's at a ridiculously early age. If I'm him, it probably doesn't take more than one more concussion before I say fuck it and walk away and retire. Smoking hot wife (to be), little daughter, and probably this shitty feeling of dred that you might be at risk of Alzheimer's as well. He already has enough money in the bank (or will by the end of his contract) to retire. Just a thought.
That's a good point. Oshie may just not have the desire any longer. There's no doubt that this is the time to dump him.

Matangama wrote:Here is another reason why I would trade Oshie (for good value, obviously). This is meant to be a serious post and not smart ass or insensitive:

Good point. Although, coming from a family where Alzhrimers is almost a family trait, I can say that you never know which direction someone will go on that issue. Some, thinking of their children and grandchildren, and of the staggering medical and nursing home costs, will choose to earn money to the bitter end.

Excellent point. I've heard Hitch and quotes from players that he's highly competitive, but damnit if we haven't seen that for a while.

Go back to that time he reverse blasted Rick Nash on his ass. That's TJ Oshie we all know and love. He just played with an edge. That guy left the building a couple years ago.

People have an excuse for Oshie every time the playoffs roll around.

I wouldn't really care if his minutes reflected a 3rd liner but if he's getting the minutes he's getting then he needs to produce and or become a better shut down guy. He was up against the 4th line vs the Wild and couldn't do anything.

He'll play a great game in the middle of the season against a team like Edmonton on a Tuesday night. But he'll dick tuck and hide when a team is ready to match his intensity in a nationally televised game or in the playoffs.

It doesn't make sense considering what he did vs Russia last year when the entire world was watching. I don't think it's a spotlight thing but he's probably just not as alpha as people think he is.

His idiotic comments this season simply reaffirm that he's not the brightest bulb and probably never really was a real leader.

BluesSK wrote:Oshie has never made the commitment to being the best NHLer he can be. He's never worked to improve his skating which is really going to contribute to his career slide in the next few years. The trade deadline was really the time to move him, but like others have said he "turned it back on" just enough to sucker management into keeping him.

If people thought Dany Heatley's career decline was fast wait a couple of years to see how Oshie's turns out.

Not calling you out or anything but in fairness to Oshie, he did spend a lot of the last offseason working on his skating right here in St. Louis. It was much talked about at the beginning of the season.
He definitely tried to improve it but it didn't seem to help much....might have actually did more harm then good.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
BluesSK wrote:Oshie has never made the commitment to being the best NHLer he can be. He's never worked to improve his skating which is really going to contribute to his career slide in the next few years. The trade deadline was really the time to move him, but like others have said he "turned it back on" just enough to sucker management into keeping him.

Not calling you out or anything but in fairness to Oshie, he did spend a lot of the last offseason working on his skating right here in St. Louis. It was much talked about at the beginning of the season.
He definitely tried to improve it but it didn't seem to help much....might have actually did more harm then good.
You're right. Much talked about but little improved.

The skating thing should have been an issue in his first years as a pro and never was.

To Backes' credit he did something about his deficiencies in skating early in his career and he was much better for it. We never saw that kind of dedication by Oshie.