My Honest Assessment

Just a couple of my thoughts from the series.

1. While Tarasenko single handed won us a couple of games, his line also lost us a few. Their positioning was very one sided, and their line was a combined -8, with Vlad leading the way at -4. Many times our defender would lose the battle on the boards (yet another issue), only to see the opposition make a pass to an open player that wasn't covered by a forward up high.

2. Backes should be moved to RW, as he just doesn't have the ability to create from the center position. He is a legitimate scoring line PF on any team in this league, and IMO he's a fine captain (his captaincy has little to do with the teams ice performance), but he doesn't have the ability to find the open man while crashing a net or focusing on defense. Of course, this means we'll need yet another top 9 center.

3. One of Steen/Oshie must go. While TJ has become the local whipping boy, IMO this is a harder decision than we think, and it depends on where we need their services. Steen makes $1.5'ish million more than TJ, but also scores about 10 points more a season. That said, TJ is a better 200ft hockey player and can play all three positions. If we need a scoring LW, keep Steen, but if we need a checking winger who can play a scoring role from time to time, keep TJ.

4. The days of having 5 of 6 defenders being "transition" types are over. The Wild owned the boards in our end, and outside of Jaybo and surprisingly Shatty, none of the other defenders could win a puck battle consistently. Bomber and Bortz should have a bright future.

5. Is Petro our #1 RD? IMO Shatty has surpassed him in that role, and we desperately need a top 4, physical minute muncher. We could afford Petro for another season if we can acquire said player, but Petro is the one player on this team that could truly get us a bounty for our mini-rebuild AND we sure could use that $7 million.

6. Berglund, Ott and Gunnar must go. I have to admit that when Jori went down, I wished like hell we still had Sobotka. Neither of Ott or Goc could come close to being as effective as Jori, and honestly, neither did a good job in the checking role. We could do MUCH better in the bottom 6 and the #4 defender than any of these guys.

7. Other than Porter, none of the UFA's (to include Jackman) need to be back. Unless Jackman sign's a #7 deal for no more than $1 million dollars, I say go with a development defender in that spot over him.

In the end, I'm of the thinking that at least two center positions will need to be filled (I imagine Sobotka will fill one of them, with possibly Fabbri taking a turn at the other) with a top 9 winger slot open as well. On defense, I'm of the mind of trading Petro and completely opening up the #3 and #4 spot for trades or competition for youngsters, even if that cost us games. Allen let in a few soft goals, but he also showed some fantastic play, and Elliott is a solid backup, so no change there.

Re: My Honest Assessment

Pete, I was thinking the same thing with regards to Backes...which is why I'm moving Oshie for a center. That opens up a RW spot for Backes and he can have a lesser role. I think we could maybe center a package around Oshie and Gunnarsson for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and have him play center thus moving Backes to wing.

Hockey Pete wrote: 2. Backes should be moved to RW, as he just doesn't have the ability to create from the center position. He is a legitimate scoring line PF on any team in this league, and IMO he's a fine captain (his captaincy has little to do with the teams ice performance), but he doesn't have the ability to find the open man while crashing a net or focusing on defense. Of course, this means we'll need yet another top 9 center.
By "RW," do you mean "Red Wings?" I'd be good with that.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Pete, I was thinking the same thing with regards to Backes...which is why I'm moving Oshie for a center. That opens up a RW spot for Backes and he can have a lesser role. I think we could maybe center a package around Oshie and Gunnarsson for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and have him play center thus moving Backes to wing.
I don't disagree at all, but man do I have a hard time trading TJ to a team in the west. I'm not convinced that he just doesn't explode on a team with solid play-making centers, as his entire career to date has been in this type of 200ft structure. He has the value to bring in a truly solid talent, as teams would covet his 200ft capability (he is considered one of the best open ice players), not to mention his penalty shot ability to win valuable points. His contract is also very attractive. He also puts butts in seats.

insideout wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote: 2. Backes should be moved to RW, as he just doesn't have the ability to create from the center position. He is a legitimate scoring line PF on any team in this league, and IMO he's a fine captain (his captaincy has little to do with the teams ice performance), but he doesn't have the ability to find the open man while crashing a net or focusing on defense. Of course, this means we'll need yet another top 9 center.
LOL, no.

I don't have a problem with trading Backes, if the return was equal, but how could it be? David is truly a top 5 power-forward in this league with a modest contract for next season. Yes he has tremendous trade value, I just don't think it outweighs what he brings on the ice. I personally would love to see a top line of Jaskin-Stastny-Backes to start next season (and I think Paulie would as well).

Pete, you provided an excellent summary and I agree with almost everything. My only exception would be your comment Oshie plays a better overall game than Steen, which I obviously disagree with. I have a hard, hard time trading Steen away from this team but I have zero issue with getting Oshie out of here. He is so weak on his skates I can't buy into him being this awesome 2-way player.

ShakeyWalton wrote:Pete, you provided an excellent summary and I agree with almost everything. My only exception would be your comment Oshie plays a better overall game than Steen, which I obviously disagree with. I have a hard, hard time trading Steen away from this team but I have zero issue with getting Oshie out of here. He is so weak on his skates I can't buy into him being this awesome 2-way player.
I didn't mean he was a better overall player, but IMO he is a better 200ft player. Yes, I agree that TJ's skating is average, as he has a tendency to skate high and lose his balance (typical for rollerblader's), but no one on this team has better anticipation in the open ice or stick-play along the boards than TJ. Of the forwards, he's easily the best at stealing a puck in the defensive zone and starting a play up ice, and he's famous in the league at stealing the puck in the open ice.

Steen is a solid 200ft player with superior offensive skills to TJ, and I'm definitely not opposed to keeping him over TJ. But if we go another direction in the top 6 away from Steen, TJ is a much better option in that two-way role than Steen IMO, as not only his game, but his contract fits that slot better.

Great assessment Pete and I've been saying since last years fail that by trading Petro, you get at least two core pieces back that actually make us a better team right now.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Hockey Pete wrote:2. Backes should be moved to RW, as he just doesn't have the ability to create from the center position. He is a legitimate scoring line PF on any team in this league, and IMO he's a fine captain (his captaincy has little to do with the teams ice performance), but he doesn't have the ability to find the open man while crashing a net or focusing on defense. Of course, this means we'll need yet another top 9 center.
Two questions for you about this, Pete. First, do you think that if we moved Backes to RW to resume the PF role it would make sense to take him away from his traditional "shutdown" role and let him focus on being a PF? Finally, if you agree with the idea of taking him away from a shutdown role, do you think Sobotka could fill that role next year, or do we need to look outside the organization to find that player?

NHLTIM wrote:Great assessment Pete and I've been saying since last years fail that by trading Petro, you get at least two core pieces back that actually make us a better team right now.
Yup, you're the one that gave me the notion, and after another year of Petro not proving his #1 status, I'm completely on board with your line of thinking.

I'm ready for Oshie and Berglund to leave. I think Oshie was losing possession in these playoffs more than he was gaining it. I don't think he has average skating ability. I think he has terrible skating ability. How often did the play start going the other way because he fell down? Berglund disappears too often offensively. He either misses the net, or he provides the goaltender an easy save. I'm not ready to move on from Backes. I do question his leadership. (stupid penalties, dropping the gloves on Tarasenko, not scoring when it matters) But I think the problem is that Backes is given too much offensive responsibility in the playoffs as a center. I don't mind him as a shutdown center, and he's great in front of the net on the powerplay, but you cannot count on him to score consistently when it matters. We need a true #1 offensive center in my opinion. I thought Stastny would be enough to offset it. He is NOT. I find myself wondering how he ever put up decent offensive numbers. He just didn't wow me at all.

So I package Oshie and Berglund for a better center than what we have. Move Backes to the right. I'd get rid of Stastny and keep Backes at center, but I don't know if Stastny is movable after that sub par season.

Our defense needs a revamp. I'm all for getting rid of older guys like Bouwmeester, Jackman, and Gunnarson and letting younger, hungrier guys battle for ice time. I don't know if it's system or players, but our defensemen play too passively on the opposing teams' zone entries. They also lose board battles too often. If Pietrangelo is more likely to get us a #1 center than a package of Oshie and Berglund, then I am for moving him. He can't even effectively manage the point on the powerplay. He's overall not that great offensively. I still don't trust him to handle teams with an aggressive forecheck.

Hockey Pete wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:Great assessment Pete and I've been saying since last years fail that by trading Petro, you get at least two core pieces back that actually make us a better team right now.
Yup, you're the one that gave me the notion, and after another year of Petro not proving his #1 status, I'm completely on board with your line of thinking.
What would you be looking to get back for him? EDM would probably be the most desperate, in my mind. Do you think they would bite on a RNH + Darnell Nurse + PIT 1st from 2015 for Petro? I really think if we're going to move Petro we need to be getting a potentially elite LHD back in the deal. We're just too right handed right now in our prospect pool.

MissouriMook wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:2. Backes should be moved to RW, as he just doesn't have the ability to create from the center position. He is a legitimate scoring line PF on any team in this league, and IMO he's a fine captain (his captaincy has little to do with the teams ice performance), but he doesn't have the ability to find the open man while crashing a net or focusing on defense. Of course, this means we'll need yet another top 9 center.
Two questions for you about this, Pete. First, do you think that if we moved Backes to RW to resume the PF role it would make sense to take him away from his traditional "shutdown" role and let him focus on being a PF? Finally, if you agree with the idea of taking him away from a shutdown role, do you think Sobotka could fill that role next year, or do we need to look outside the organization to find that player?
Hmm, I guess that depends on who replaces Hitch? If the new coach wants a true top scoring line, second scoring line and third checking line, you definitely put David square into the offensive PF role, having him focus on strong puck play and soaking up defenders driving hard into the boards and net.

With regards to Sobotka, IMO he's proven he can play a strong checking role, and be a 40 point checking center, but I'm not convinced YET that Lehtera can be a 2nd line center in this league. So IMO the real question is, do we bring in a center to push Jori for a scoring role and put Sobotka squarely in a defensive role? That's the question Army and his new coach will have to answer.

MissouriMook wrote:What would you be looking to get back for him? EDM would probably be the most desperate, in my mind. Do you think they would bite on a RNH + Darnell Nurse + PIT 1st from 2015 for Petro? I really think if we're going to move Petro we need to be getting a potentially elite LHD back in the deal. We're just too right handed right now in our prospect pool.
IMO they'd be tempted, but I can't see the EDM trading RNH due the fact that they just don't have another center on the team to take his place. Nurse and the PIT 1st would be a great starting place though.

Battra wrote:I'm ready for Oshie, Backes, and Berglund to be sent to Edmonton for Hall or Nugent-Hopkins.
Yep, I'd love it if we could totally turnover the entire 'leadership' group, so throw Jax in there as well. Steen and Petro are the only ones I want to keep who wore a letter (yes, I know it doesn't signify exclusive leadership...but it does to a point mean they are a leader).
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Hockey Pete wrote:
insideout wrote:
LOL, no.

I don't have a problem with trading Backes, if the return was equal, but how could it be? David is truly a top 5 power-forward in this league with a modest contract for next season. Yes he has tremendous trade value, I just don't think it outweighs what he brings on the ice. I personally would love to see a top line of Jaskin-Stastny-Backes to start next season (and I think Paulie would as well).
The one area in which we disagree is Backes' leadership. I loved him when he was a young guy running around destroying everything in site, but he has since been asked to put the team on his shoulders and lead, and he's just not that guy. I believe he could be a huge plus for another team that brings him on board and doesn't lean on him as a leader. If I could hit the reset button on him, I'd take him on my team in heartbeat. But the Blues could hardly tell him he is no longer a leader and ask him to just go out there and bang.

So therein lies the trade value. Guys like Schwartz and Shatty can step in as leaders in Backes' absence, so you wouldn't need to replace "leadership." The perfect trade partner is a team in a similar situation --> A team with a player who has a lot to contribute but has been asked to do too much. Rather than diminish his role on your team, you move him somewhere else where there is no pressure on him.

Hockey Pete wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:What would you be looking to get back for him? EDM would probably be the most desperate, in my mind. Do you think they would bite on a RNH + Darnell Nurse + PIT 1st from 2015 for Petro? I really think if we're going to move Petro we need to be getting a potentially elite LHD back in the deal. We're just too right handed right now in our prospect pool.
IMO they'd be tempted, but I can't see the EDM trading RNH due the fact that they just don't have another center on the team to take his place. Nurse and the PIT 1st would be a great starting place though.
Connor McDavid is going to take RNH's place. I could see them moving RNH for that very reason.

I like the idea of Backes to wing.

I also like the idea of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

I do not like the idea of moving Steen. Oshie's time is done here, in my opinion. Steen's points in the playoffs are hugely more impressing, but I at least notice Steen. The only time I notice Oshie is him falling over or making some terrible pass.

warpig2003 wrote:I like the idea of Backes to wing.

I do not like the idea of moving Steen. Oshie's time is done here, in my opinion. Steen's points in the playoffs are hugely more impressing, but I at least notice Steen. The only time I notice Oshie is him falling over or making some terrible pass.

hold on now, who else do you know that can make a saucer pass over two dmen while on the PP?!?! ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Pete, as usual, you provide a well thought out assessment. One I mostly agree with. We all love Tarasenko's goal scoring, but your are dead on regarding the rest of his and Lehtera's game that needs definite improvement next season.

To me, between Oshie and Steen, it's no contest. Push, shove, kick Oshie out the door and get something for him. The combination of a loose and irresponsible mouth, and lack of committment to winning, doesn't work.

I think you are correct that Backes would produce a lot more on the wing.

I have been saying for two years that Petro is not a true #1 dman. He is far too easily overpowered in his own end. For the guy that is counted on to start the offense, his passing sucks. Count how many tape to tape passes me makes as he moves up the ice. It won't take very long. His struggles in the offensive zone have become so bad, that I groan everytime the puck hits his stick. When you compare him with real difference makers, Subban, Weber, Suter, Keith, etc, Petro is not even in the conversation. Trade him and get something that's going to elevate the play of this team.

Agree that Army made a bad deal going for more puck movers. Gunnerson will be gone. Being able to move the puck is a good thing, but you must first be able to take care of your own end. Lindbohm and Bortz will be a boost in that area.

I expect Elliott to ask for a trade. I'd like to see him stay, but I can understand why he might want to move on.

Jmo, but I hope to see Jackman back. Admittedly, there is an element of sentimental bias on my part. However, a third line dman did not lose this playoff, nor the last two. Jackman was the only veteran dman that you could count on standing up at the blue line, when the opportunity was there to safely do so. It bothers me that someone like Jackman, who has sacrificed so much for this team over the years, pays the price for players who don't have half his guts, committment and loyalty to this organization.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Connor McDavid is going to take RNH's place. I could see them moving RNH for that very reason.
Possibly, but they'll need another center to compete, and I think they're trying to move out of rebuild mode.

Building off of Mook's original proposal, I could see an RNH+Nurse+PIT 1st for Petro and Berglund, as Patrick can play a decent two-way center game and gives them much needed size in the pivot. It'd be a bit much on our side, but IMO that would be do-able.

Of course we'd be on the hunt for a stud RHD to skate with Nurse next season.

Hockey Pete wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:Connor McDavid is going to take RNH's place. I could see them moving RNH for that very reason.
Possibly, but they'll need another center to compete, and I think they're trying to move out of rebuild mode.

Building off of Mook's original proposal, I could see an RNH+Nurse+PIT 1st for Petro and Berglund, as Patrick can play a decent two-way center game and gives them much needed size in the pivot. It'd be a bit much on our side, but IMO that would be do-able.

Of course we'd be on the hunt for a stud RHD to skate with Nurse next season.
See, I could see them moving RNH because they'll have a better center than him and he's paid pretty high for his production, and I think they'll want to spend that money elsewhere. I've been a big RNH fan since he was in juniors though so I might be off here dreaming.

Idk if I'm ready to move on from Petro yet. Lots of people were complaining about Shatty after his performance last season and look how he was this year.

barnburner wrote:Pete, as usual, you provide a well thought out assessment. One I mostly agree with. We all love Tarasenko's goal scoring, but your are dead on regarding the rest of his and Lehtera's game that needs definite improvement next season.

To me, between Oshie and Steen, it's no contest. Push, shove, kick Oshie out the door and get something for him. The combination of a loose and irresponsible mouth, and lack of committment to winning, doesn't work.

I think you are correct that Backes would produce a lot more on the wing.

I have been saying for two years that Petro is not a true #1 dman. He is far too easily overpowered in his own end. For the guy that is counted on to start the offense, his passing sucks. Count how many tape to tape passes me makes as he moves up the ice. It won't take very long. His struggles in the offensive zone have become so bad, that I groan everytime the puck hits his stick. When you compare him with real difference makers, Subban, Weber, Suter, Keith, etc, Petro is not even in the conversation. Trade him and get something that's going to elevate the play of this team.

Agree that Army made a bad deal going for more puck movers. Gunnerson will be gone. Being able to move the puck is a good thing, but you must first be able to take care of your own end. Lindbohm and Bortz will be a boost in that area.

I expect Elliott to ask for a trade. I'd like to see him stay, but I can understand why he might want to move on.

Jmo, but I hope to see Jackman back. Admittedly, there is an element of sentimental bias on my part. However, a third line dman did not lose this playoff, nor the last two. Jackman was the only veteran dman that you could count on standing up at the blue line, when the opportunity was there to safely do so. It bothers me that someone like Jackman, who has sacrificed so much for this team over the years, pays the price for players who don't have half his guts, committment and loyalty to this organization.
Thanks Barn.

I don't disagree with trading TJ, I just wanted to insert that he does have abilities that will be missed, and that we should acknowledge what we'd be losing if/when he is traded.

With regards to the Gunnar trade, I think/thought it was a great trade, but Gunnar just wasn't capable of performing to the role. He's been a solid #2 in the past, and we desperately needed a top 4 LHD. Army took a shot at him bouncing back from that hip injury, and it just didn't pan out. I can't blame the man for trying.

I like Jackman a lot, and if we resign him for minimal cost as a #7, fine with me. That said, we have some solid kids waiting in the wings, so it will have to be no more than vet minimum or IMO play the kids.

warpig2003 wrote:I like the idea of Backes to wing.

Steen if nothing else scores big goals in the playoffs.

He's untouchable to me.