Re: Round 1: Blues vs. Minnesota

GeoffU wrote:My biggest concern is that the Blues have played awfully on long rest this season. I can't find the stat exactly to hand at the moment, but it was something like 1-6-1 on 3+ days rest. That said, the Blues dropping game one wouldn't shock me in the slightest - they dropped the last game one I attended, after all. (Small sample size, what? heh)

Still, it'd be nice to see them just go out and rattle off four straight wins, whether they drop a game first or not. Put that skate on some other team's foot, for a change. ... Man, I can't wait for Thursday night.
FWIW, I was over on the Wild HF Boards, and they were talking about how awful they are on long rest. So it should be a wash. I expect a sloppy game tomorrow.

Look I agree with you guys that ANYTHING can happen. It's a whole new season. The Blues could sweep the Wild or the Wild could sweep the Blues. But just don't give me stuff like "this year feels different" or "the team has an aura of confidence" around them. I've been following the Blues sine the 80s and I've heard that since the Federko and Sutter teams of the 80s!

Kelly Chase flat out said the Blues would win the Cup in the mid 90s after he was traded. Been there, done that a ZILLION times. This is the SHOW ME state so show me!

Just saying Minnesota has the hottest team AND the hottest goalie since the All Star break. So that's what we're dealing with.

Dave's a mess wrote:Let's Go Blues! The excitement of the playoffs is such that I couldn't keep myself from finally creating a profile and participating in this forum. Lurked at the PD board for a while and find this one sane enough to jump in. Is it 8:30 yet?
Welcome! Glad you decided to jump into the pool!

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Look I agree with you guys that ANYTHING can happen. It's a whole new season. The Blues could sweep the Wild or the Wild could sweep the Blues. But just don't give me stuff like "this year feels different" or "the team has an aura of confidence" around them. I've been following the Blues sine the 80s and I've heard that since the Federko and Sutter teams of the 80s!

Kelly Chase flat out said the Blues would win the Cup in the mid 90s after he was traded. Been there, done that a ZILLION times. This is the SHOW ME state so show me!

Just saying Minnesota has the hottest team AND the hottest goalie since the All Star break. So that's what we're dealing with.
Duly noted...again.

StL Dan wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:StLDan, the Wild rested most of their top defenseman that last game so it wasn't a real game but an exhibition game. I don't know what games you were watching but the Wild outplayed the Blues in 2 of the 3 games they played with a full lineup including a 3-1 victory in St.Louis on 3/15.

The Wild are the worst match up for the Blues in the entire west outside of Winnipeg and maybe Anaheim. The Wild match up very well against the Blues and outplayed them at least twice this season. That's why ALL the NHL network experts including former Blue Jamie McClennan picked the Wild against the Blues!!

EXPLAIN that you guys! You are looking this through blue colored glasses while the NHL experts and I am trying to be objective!
Meanwhile, the Blues were resting their best defenseman and playing their top scorer in his first game back after missing a few weeks down the stretch. Not to mention the Blues used their new "back up" goalie instead of red hot Jake Allen.

If you read any of my posts, you'll know I'm not super comfortable playing Minnesota in the 1st round. Heck, I wasn't comfortable with any of the projected 1st round opponents - Chicago, Minny or Winnipeg - as the season wound down.

But, the Blues are trending upward with wins against Chi and Minny. That is a good sign for the good guys.

disclaimer: I'm a true Blues fan, so I fully expect my heart to be squished to nasty flattened pulpish pieces in the POs. So, there's that too.
STLDan,I expect the same and I sure hope, it doesn't happen a this year in playoffs with another 1st round playoffs exit..I tell my neighbors instead of Blues squishing my heart and I say when the Blues lose in playoffs( I sure hope they don't this year That the Blues RIP my heart out when they lose in the playoffs.Lets Go Blues .

bradleygt89 wrote:This year feels different because this team has the aura of confidence!
The only panic I sense is in certain fans. I have maintained my detachment long enough.

Arguably, this is the best team I have laid eyes on for the Blues. The majority of this team has put two of the top 3 years in team history back to back.

This team has been hardened in the forge of 3 first round defeats to Cup champions. And it has been sharpened by great free agent pickups and energized talent.

The only thing that should be on the minds of anyone is " We don't want to have to play the Blues". Because if they do, this year it will be those teams that will be singing em.

Bring on Lord Stanley!

Man in the box wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Look I agree with you guys that ANYTHING can happen. It's a whole new season. The Blues could sweep the Wild or the Wild could sweep the Blues. But just don't give me stuff like "this year feels different" or "the team has an aura of confidence" around them. I've been following the Blues sine the 80s and I've heard that since the Federko and Sutter teams of the 80s!

Duly noted...again.
Ask Hammond about who WAS the hottest goalie or team, UNTIL last night that is.

MIZDSP wrote:
GeoffU wrote:My biggest concern is that the Blues have played awfully on long rest this season. I can't find the stat exactly to hand at the moment, but it was something like 1-6-1 on 3+ days rest. That said, the Blues dropping game one wouldn't shock me in the slightest - they dropped the last game one I attended, after all. (Small sample size, what? heh)

Still, it'd be nice to see them just go out and rattle off four straight wins, whether they drop a game first or not. Put that skate on some other team's foot, for a change. ... Man, I can't wait for Thursday night.
FWIW, I was over on the Wild HF Boards, and they were talking about how awful they are on long rest. So it should be a wash. I expect a sloppy game tomorrow.
The Blues have been a lot sloppier than The Wild, so far. The Wild have looked pretty sharp, and are playing better positionally. They are not allowing The Blues to get into the scoring areas very much. The Wild has had several good rushes. I'm not happy with the play, so far. The Blues look shaky.