Opinion: Blues Will Not Fire Hitchcock

Hitchcock will not be fired.

I'm pretty confused/amazed at the people who honestly think he has any chance to be let go. Or even worse, they are actually calling for his head if the Blues don't do well in the playoffs.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to win the cup. But why do people think we need to have a long playoff run in order for the Blues to retain Hitchcock?

Hitchcock/Blues Stats
105+ points in every full season (pacing 102 points in lockout season)
Playoffs in every season (1 appearance in previous 6 seasons)
2012 Jack Adams award
2011 Jennings Trophy

This season
3rd most goals scored in entire NHL
Leading Central division with 3 games to go
Top 5 team in NHL all year

I think it is much more likely that the Blues will move players like Oshie, Elliott, Berglund, Backes, etc. before Hitch has any chance to be fired.

If I'm wrong and they fire him after this year, I'll eat crow. But I just don't see it happening.

Re: Opinion: Blues Will Not Fire Hitchcock

The_IT_Guy wrote:It's not really a firing if they just don't resign him. However, I think it really depends on how we do in the playoffs. With another first round exit, I think the chances are much greater he isn't back. If we do well and advance a couple rounds, I think we are more likely to see another year of Hitch.

Time will tell.
You're right - I didn't realize Hitchcock's contract is up at the end of this season.

That does add to the chance that he's not retained, I'd say. However, I still think they will keep him.

HockeyFan85 wrote:
The_IT_Guy wrote:It's not really a firing if they just don't resign him. However, I think it really depends on how we do in the playoffs. With another first round exit, I think the chances are much greater he isn't back. If we do well and advance a couple rounds, I think we are more likely to see another year of Hitch.

Time will tell.
You're right - I didn't realize Hitchcock's contract is up at the end of this season.

That does add to the chance that he's not retained, I'd say. However, I still think they will keep him.
It is hard to look at his time here and not truly consider keeping him, assuming he wants to continue coaching. It just seems like everything is hinging on the playoffs and how we perform there.

T.C. wrote:logically, i agree. that being said, we fired Q too. the treatment of coaches in sports isn't always logical. the "you can't fire the whole team" cliché applies everywhere. but after going through 3-4 coaches, this core HAS to be responsible at some point.
Yes. I'm also of the opinion that the retention of Hitch will depend on some degree of playoff success.

If the Blues falter in the playoffs they will probably just offer him a "promotion" so he can sit upstairs with all the other executives.

I could see another team making an offer to Hitchcock though. Seven hundred plus wins is truly impressive.

MissouriMook wrote:It may just be semantics, but I don't think Hitch will put Army in a position where he will have to publically decline to offer Hitch a new contract. I think if we flame out early again this year, Hitch will approach Army about a FO position and suggest they bring in a new voice behind the bench.
yeah, hitch didn't make it this long in the league by being dumb. he's a smart guy. this makes sense.

T.C. wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:It may just be semantics, but I don't think Hitch will put Army in a position where he will have to publically decline to offer Hitch a new contract. I think if we flame out early again this year, Hitch will approach Army about a FO position and suggest they bring in a new voice behind the bench.
yeah, hitch didn't make it this long in the league by being dumb. he's a smart guy. this makes sense.
yep, and the whole 'firing' thing is what it is; if you do not get your contract renewed, you have been fired.

I think it falls on 3 things for Hitch, and what happens in the playoffs:

1) does he choose the 'right goalie' since we have a bit of a controversy now. Either way could backfire if whomever is starting goalie flames out.

2) is the team prepared and motivated all 60 minutes each game? No time for first period sleepwalks, 2nd period walkthroughs, etc. This team has to be ready from drop of the puck till the final whistle.

3) Last but most important to me, how does Hitch respond to whomever we are playing counter-attack. Every coach/team we have an opportunity to face in the first round is a veteran coach and knows our Blues team, and our tendencies. If we get up a game or two, and the Jets/hawks/Preds/Kings adjust their game-plan and attack and defensive strategies, will Hitch be able to respond in kind?

As I've said 100 x, I truly hope Hitch, the front office, AND the 'core' are all back next season, because I would think DA and ownership only do that IF we have a very significant and deep run. IMO of course :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Other teams would definitely be interested in him. I was watching Center Ice last week and in between periods, they were talking about possible candidates for Edmonton and Hitch's name was one of them mentioned if he became available. Playoff success is important for a coach in the NHL for keeping their job, but I don't know how much difference a good vs great coach would make in the playoffs? Really seems at that point it is up to the players to have the testicular fortitude to succeed.

HockeyFan85 wrote:Hitchcock will not be fired.

I'm pretty confused/amazed at the people who honestly think he has any chance to be let go. Or even worse, they are actually calling for his head if the Blues don't do well in the playoffs.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to win the cup. But why do people think we need to have a long playoff run in order for the Blues to retain Hitchcock?

Hitchcock/Blues Stats
105+ points in every full season (pacing 102 points in lockout season)
Playoffs in every season (1 appearance in previous 6 seasons)
2012 Jack Adams award
2011 Jennings Trophy

This season
3rd most goals scored in entire NHL
Leading Central division with 3 games to go
Top 5 team in NHL all year

I think it is much more likely that the Blues will move players like Oshie, Elliott, Berglund, Backes, etc. before Hitch has any chance to be fired.

If I'm wrong and they fire him after this year, I'll eat crow. But I just don't see it happening.
In agreement with those who think at a minimum, Hitch needs to get us past the first round or he will not be behind the bench next year.

And let me get this straight HockeyFan, Hitch gets credit for all the points, the PO appearances, AND the Jennings trophy?? I'll give you the Adams because that is a COACHING trophy, but I think the players that accumulated those points with the team and the goalies that earned those stats own most of that credit.

Every player and coach gets to share in those stats, but I would hardly attribute them to "Hitch" as evidence of his success. The Blues have considerable talent. Some of those stats could be expected.

A case can be made for personnel changes. I am not arguing against trading Oshie or anyone else. I just want to see the Blues win. But the inability of the team to adapt and dial it up in the PO and losing four straight, 3 years in a row - that might be called a coaching issue.

Notebly Blue wrote: In agreement with those who think at a minimum, Hitch needs to get us past the first round or he will not be behind the bench next year.

And let me get this straight HockeyFan, Hitch gets credit for all the points, the PO appearances, AND the Jennings trophy?? I'll give you the Adams because that is a COACHING trophy, but I think the players that accumulated those points with the team and the goalies that earned those stats own most of that credit.

Every player and coach gets to share in those stats, but I would hardly attribute them to "Hitch" as evidence of his success. The Blues have considerable talent. Some of those stats could be expected.

A case can be made for personnel changes. I am not arguing against trading Oshie or anyone else. I just want to see the Blues win. But the inability of the team to adapt and dial it up in the PO and losing four straight, 3 years in a row - that might be called a coaching issue.
So the on ice product is more of a result of the players when it goes well, but it's the coaches fault when it doesn't?

Can't have it both ways.

I'll say I'm really not the biggest Hitch fan in the world, and I was really concerned after losing and looking awful to Van and Clb that the Blues were going into a death spiral yet again at the end of a season under Hitch. Good news is the ship seems to be righted and Hitch has seemingly handed the reigns to Allen who is playing fantastic right now. I still wouldn't mind seeing a different coach here but it's very unlikely that the Blues actually fire him. They may not re-sign him but I think it would take a monumental 1st round collapse for that to happen. Odds are Hitch is the head coach here next season.

Also I don't see too many big moves coming in the offseason even if the Blues go out early. I think Oshie would be shopped and Bouwmeester too, but none of the other big names would be likely to go. Gunnarsson/Berglund are also going to get shopped regardless of the playoffs for cap space reasons. I think Bouwmeester is a prime candidate to get moved given his regression this year and the fact that the Blues have a ton of defensive prospects on the way, and at least one knocking on the door already.

ratonmono wrote:I'll say I'm really not the biggest Hitch fan in the world, and I was really concerned after losing and looking awful to Van and Clb that the Blues were going into a death spiral yet again at the end of a season under Hitch. Good news is the ship seems to be righted and Hitch has seemingly handed the reigns to Allen who is playing fantastic right now. I still wouldn't mind seeing a different coach here but it's very unlikely that the Blues actually fire him. They may not re-sign him but I think it would take a monumental 1st round collapse for that to happen. Odds are Hitch is the head coach here next season.

Also I don't see too many big moves coming in the offseason even if the Blues go out early. I think Oshie would be shopped and Bouwmeester too, but none of the other big names would be likely to go. Gunnarsson/Berglund are also going to get shopped regardless of the playoffs for cap space reasons. I think Bouwmeester is a prime candidate to get moved given his regression this year and the fact that the Blues have a ton of defensive prospects on the way, and at least one knocking on the door already.
+1 Rantomono.

ratonmono wrote:I'll say I'm really not the biggest Hitch fan in the world, and I was really concerned after losing and looking awful to Van and Clb that the Blues were going into a death spiral yet again at the end of a season under Hitch. Good news is the ship seems to be righted and Hitch has seemingly handed the reigns to Allen who is playing fantastic right now. I still wouldn't mind seeing a different coach here but it's very unlikely that the Blues actually fire him. They may not re-sign him but I think it would take a monumental 1st round collapse for that to happen. Odds are Hitch is the head coach here next season.

+1 Rantomono.

39hurricane wrote:I may be mistaken but I thought the Blues and Hitch had a mutual option this summer?
Hitch is going year to year now, but has said he wants to continue coaching and has no intentions of stopping any time soon. I think it was widely speculated among fans that he might step down after this season, but an article last week squashed those rumors. I think the only way he isn't coaching us next season is if we lose in a spectacularly disappointing fashion in the 1st round, which is always possible given it's the Blues. But I expect he's back next year.

There needs to be coaching and player changes if the Blues don't make it out of the first round this year.

A good example of keeping the status quo would be the Sharks. They finally hit the wall this year and won't make the playoffs. But how many years did they run out the same coach, same core of players, and same philosophy to rack up regular season wins only to choke in the playoffs.

Every year you fail to pull the trigger and make some changes is another year lost of trying something different. I thought they should have pulled that trigger last year but they've been giving me hope this season. We'll see how the playoffs go. I want to see this group win the Cup but their past performances and goalie situation doesn't exactly make it seem likely.

Ladislav Bonita wrote:There needs to be coaching and player changes if the Blues don't make it out of the first round this year.

A good example of keeping the status quo would be the Sharks. They finally hit the wall this year and won't make the playoffs. But how many years did they run out the same coach, same core of players, and same philosophy to rack up regular season wins only to choke in the playoffs.

Every year you fail to pull the trigger and make some changes is another year lost of trying something different. I thought they should have pulled that trigger last year but they've been giving me hope this season. We'll see how the playoffs go. I want to see this group win the Cup but their past performances and goalie situation doesn't exactly make it seem likely.
True, but the flip side to that is Yzerman era Red Wings. The Wings failed in the playoffs for years before finally getting over the hump in 97. Detroit was rumored heavily in 96(pretty sure it was 96) to have a deal on the table: Yzerman for Yashin. That's right at one time Stevie Y was considered a choker, worthy of being shipped out for the up and coming Yashin :lol: . I'm going to guess the Wings are happy they didn't break up that Yzerman/Fedorov core.

ratonmono wrote:
Ladislav Bonita wrote:There needs to be coaching and player changes if the Blues don't make it out of the first round this year.

True, but the flip side to that is Yzerman era Red Wings. The Wings failed in the playoffs for years before finally getting over the hump in 97. Detroit was rumored heavily in 96(pretty sure it was 96) to have a deal on the table: Yzerman for Yashin. That's right at one time Stevie Y was considered a choker, worthy of being shipped out for the up and coming Yashin :lol: . I'm going to guess the Wings are happy they didn't break up that Yzerman/Fedorov core.
That's a fair comparison and Detroilet is obviously happy they stuck it out with those two.

At the same time Yzerman was amazing and Federov's skill was obvious. It's not like the Blues have a guy scoring over 60 goals in back to back seasons.

Thornton was great for a period of time but was never a playoff performer. Same with most of the Blues top paid players.

I would be fine with sticking with guys like Backes and Oshie if they were HOF talent who needed more help to succeed. Instead they're guys that score 50-60 points a year and don't play well in the playoffs.

Ladislav Bonita wrote:
ratonmono wrote:

That's a fair comparison and Detroilet is obviously happy they stuck it out with those two.

At the same time Yzerman was amazing and Federov's skill was obvious. It's not like the Blues have a guy scoring over 60 goals in back to back seasons.

Thornton was great for a period of time but was never a playoff performer. Same with most of the Blues top paid players.

I would be fine with sticking with guys like Backes and Oshie if they were HOF talent who needed more help to succeed. Instead they're guys that score 50-60 points a year and don't play well in the playoffs.
I agree as long as those two are the ones we're talking about moving. Steen has always been good in the playoffs and I think it would be a truly horrible mistake to trade Petro or Shatty. I think if we go out early Oshie is absolutely going to be moved and that's fair as long as we get a decent return and don't trade him out of desperation. Backes is a bit more of a tricky proposition. We'd have to get a top young center back in return if Backes is to go.

Either way, I really don't think this team needs a chainsaw taken to it as some would suggest (not saying you have) when a surgical knife would probably do the trick for what they need.