Re: Allen will be the Blues playoff goalie (opinion)

ratonmono wrote:
Blueblood wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
I think I want Binnington playing rather than waiting for playing time here.

Binnington has had a pretty solid rookie AHL season on a team that hasn't been all that great.

I would think that the Blues organization would want him playing so they would sign someone to back up Allen. Provided that Elliott leaves.

Let's also not forget that Allen is a UFA. If he takes over the #1 spot(which it appears that he has) and back stops the Blues to a deep playoff run, he is going to want a pretty large raise also.
Allen's a RFA, but yes he will be getting a raise after this season, how much of a raise depends on his playoff performance.
Thanks. That is what I meant. Now sure why my fingers didn't cooperate.

Allen has been playing great, but I'd still like to see how the playoffs go before I make any judgment on our goaltending.

Over the off season I was hoping for Allen to take the reigns down the stretch and playoffs. Based on talent he clearly is a legit #1 goalie in the NHL, while I view Elliott as a #1/#2 tweener. Come playoffs I'm not sure what is going to happen. Allen has the talent, but Elliott has the experience. Tough call, but I think you just have to roll with the hot hand.

Doug Glatt wrote:Allen has been playing great, but I'd still like to see how the playoffs go before I make any judgment on our goaltending.

Over the off season I was hoping for Allen to take the reigns down the stretch and playoffs. Based on talent he clearly is a legit #1 goalie in the NHL, while I view Elliott as a #1/#2 tweener. Come playoffs I'm not sure what is going to happen. Allen has the talent, but Elliott has the experience. Tough call, but I think you just have to roll with the hot hand.
True; but Elliott's experience is one of a true roller coaster. He defines hot/cold, which sucks because you really want to root for him. Great story, but I don't believe he'll ever be a consistent starter, even in the regular season. In 6 full seasons (not counting the lockout year, in which he did have majority of starts w/ Halak injured/struggling) he has only been over 40 GP three times, one of which was his 55 in his second year.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:Allen has been playing great, but I'd still like to see how the playoffs go before I make any judgment on our goaltending.

True; but Elliott's experience is one of a true roller coaster. He defines hot/cold, which sucks because you really want to root for him. Great story, but I don't believe he'll ever be a consistent starter, even in the regular season. In 6 full seasons (not counting the lockout year, in which he did have majority of starts w/ Halak injured/struggling) he has only been over 40 GP three times, one of which was his 55 in his second year.
I can't argue against that. :)

Bad experience can be a really good thing later in life with time to reflect. Maybe Elliott uses that to prove everyone wrong. (see: Tim Thomas). You just never know. Bad experience can be way more useful and motivational for the next time.

Having said that I think we both agree on what the Blues should do for the playoffs. Play Allen while he is hot, and until he proves otherwise.

Doug Glatt wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:

I can't argue against that. :)

Bad experience can be a really good thing later in life with time to reflect. Maybe Elliott uses that to prove everyone wrong. (see: Tim Thomas). You just never know. Bad experience can be way more useful and motivational for the next time.

Having said that I think we both agree on what the Blues should do for the playoffs. Play Allen while he is hot, and until he proves otherwise.
yeah, I really hope he does turn it around; I just don't think it'll be with the Blues. IF Allen does anything good in the playoffs, and he don't collapse, all signs point to him be the man from here on out. I could honestly see Elliott traded this summer, and us bringing in someone a bit less expensive yet a veteran to back him up. Maybe Marty comes back for one full year ;) (JK, although I do hope MB stays w/ the Blues in some capacity...he's been so beneficial to Allen, or at least that's the perspective)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:

I think here is the problem with Elliott.

He is a technical goaltender. When his technique is good he is good. When it is off, he doesn't have the natural ability to make up for it, like say Allen does.

I think that explains why he runs so hot and cold.

That and there is a problem between his ears. A concern I still have with Allen.

Statistically, he is probably a #1 net-minder. Nearly every stat is in the top 30 among all NHL goalies. I think we get disappointed with his performance,especially at key points in the season and forget that he is (statistically) a starting goalie. If they do try to trade him it should be an easy sell. Granted, Jake could end up being a top 15 or top 10 goalie. In that case, Ells is the backup.

SV% GAA Wins

14-15 20th 11th 20th
13-14 11th 2nd 28th
12-13 32nd 14th 24th
11-12 1st 1st 24th

Ladislav Bonita wrote:"The Blues would not make Elliott available for comment after practice."

Are they afraid he'll say something everyone will regret?
Maybe. Or, maybe they just want to the team to focus on moving forward with no possibilities for distractions by the media since the goalie situation seemed to be a hot button for all the national and local outlets when discussing the Blues PO keys.

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 10m 10 minutes ago
Allen on finding out: "It was a pretty cool feeling to be honest. Definitely wouldn't be thinking I'd be starting Game 1 at start of year."

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 18m 18 minutes ago
Allen: "It'll be a good challenge. I've been working for this moment all year. To be able to get the start, it's going to be huge" #stlblues

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 23m 23 minutes ago
Hitch says the goalies learned of the decision this morning. Allen spoke at length, comments posted shortly. Elliott was not made available.

I'm sure Elliott isn't happy, but Allen deserves the shot. Elliott had it in the bag, and let it break apart at the wrong time. DA and Hitch, regardless of what they 'say' have never had faith in Elliott's long term ability to be the true #1, much less playoff starter.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

StL Dan wrote:
Ladislav Bonita wrote:"The Blues would not make Elliott available for comment after practice."

Are they afraid he'll say something everyone will regret?
Maybe. Or, maybe they just want to the team to focus on moving forward with no possibilities for distractions by the media since the goalie situation seemed to be a hot button for all the national and local outlets when discussing the Blues PO keys.
idk, I think transparency is always a good thing when it comes to things like this. I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to have Elliott answer questions about it one time, make a "whatever's best for the team, I support Allen" kind of a statement, and then move forward.

StL Dan wrote:
deadphish wrote:Allen is going full alpha right now. Listen to his interviews. The kid is confident as hell. Not cocky, just alpha as fuck.
I love this. Marty is in his head.
I have thought that ever since Marty got here, Allen is a different goalie. Early in the season, one bad goal and Allen just fell apart. Then Marty gets here and Allen is just different; a good different, but different. I really wonder if this is just my imagination or if somehow Marty knew exactly what to say or do to help him out.

I could be completely off my rocker (and it wouldn't be the first time, probably won't be the last either), but I think Marty could be our secret weapon.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 4c926.html

This quote from Allen is what shows me the biggest change I think we've seen since the start of this year:

"I’ll treat it like any other game, not get too high or get too low. Goals are going to go in, mistakes are going to happen, I know that. I’m not too worried about it."

Those were the kind of things that absolutely fazed him at the start of the year. I for sure think Marty's fingerprints are all over this.

We are here as much because of Elliott as anyone. But Allen showed everyone something in those Chicago wins.

And there is one thing that drives me crazy about BE...and that is the early soft goal.

So Hitch rides the hot hand. How did that work out for ya Ottawa??? Dubnyk, did you watch that and take notes??? And just who in the HE double goalie sticks is Scott Darling???

Elliott just picked the wrong time of year to have a a couple of bad weeks. If this were the middle of the season I imagine that he'd have been allowed more games to work himself back into form as I don't think Allen, or anyone could have sustained that level of play that Allen has had the last month.

Allen's been phenomenal this last month and stood on his head in games that the blues were giving up two or three odd man rushes and breakaways a period. The defensive lapses concern me and I hope they get that fixed because it could come back to bite us.

Allen is definitely white hot right now and I can't imagine you don't ride him until the wheels fall off.

As for Elliott being gone next year I doubt it. I'm not sure where else you can find another goalie of his calibur for as cheap as he comes, and I don't think we have anyone in the system that's ready to play in the nhl.

I got tickets tonight so I'm hoping our boys come out amped up and ready to play. I was watching the games last night and there is nothing like playoff hockey. This truly is the best time of year! :)

HockeyFan85 wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:Win or lose, I think we see Elliott get a start before this series is over. I know its not the way these things are supposed to work these days, but my gut tells me that its all hands on deck this year and that includes mixing up the goalie starts to keep or change momentum.
Only way that happens is if Allen falters, in my opinion.
I guess that was kind of my point. I don't think Hitch sits him after a 2-1 loss (unless the 2 goals were horrible) but at the same time I could see him giving Elliott a crack if we win one 4-3 or 5-4 and Allen wasn't sharp. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't believe it will take a meltdown by Allen to get Elliott into a game or to have him pick up a start.