Allen will be the Blues playoff goalie (opinion)

I've been on the Allen bandwagon, and while I've reigned in my support due to him not running with it when Elliott got hurt, this is a different goalie than what we saw earlier in the season. I mentioned on the old forum before that Brodeur's signing would help Allen the most, and whether its a combo of MB and/or Corsi, the kid just has that strong positional play to go with his athletic ability. his confidence in net has just been phenomenal.

Obviously Hitch may just be playing mind games, but I think you roll Allen; give Elliott a start on Tuesday Vs the Jets, then let Allen run with it from then on.

You just got your first win in regulation in Chicago Hitch. You have to roll the guy that wins the big game in the enemies building.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: Allen will be the Blues playoff goalie (opinion)

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 21m21 minutes ago
Hitch on whether Allen earned more starts: "I'm not even going there." #stlblues

Not sure what that means, but I don't see how you go back to Elliott. Even if Elliott was playing alright...Allen has just been playing so well.
yep; Don't need a shutout every performance, but just someone who when there is a mistake, like the few Slowshies that occurred, you need a goalie that can make those big stops and not let in those 'softies'. I'm a fan of Elliott's and his resolve, but Allen just seems to be the better goalie right now, and considering next week we are in the playoffs, you have to ride who is hot.

Now, as Scottie mentions, if Jake flakes, then we have a larger issue, as how will Elliott's confidence be if THAT is the reason they go with him? Does it motivate him, or does he continue downward trending?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

insideout wrote:It's pretty clear to me how all this will go down. In the last three games, Elliot will get 2 starts and give up no goals. Allen will get one start and shit the bed. Hitchcock will stress out over which one to use and in the playoffs land himself in the hospital with chest pains. Muller will take over and coach them to the Cup. Take it to the bank.
What, no Binnington in your scenario? :lol:

Matangama wrote:I absolutely HAVE to think that having Marty Brodeur around Allen has been a huge factor in his development, especially his mental developmement.
He has been very confident (sometimes overly confident) with his stick work which is probably attributable to Brodeur. That is an often overlooked aspect of a goalies game. Exiting the net and turning the play back around can throw the other team off. Really like to see him doing that.

The worst possible scenario is for Allen to be proclaimed the starter. We saw how he responded earlier in the season when he was given the #1 job. Even if he starts Game 1, it has to be in the context that if he has one bad game Elliott is going in.

Think about this for a minute - Allen was 5-3-2 with a 3.38 GAA and a .881 SP from the time Elliott got hurt in the OTT game until Ells returned for the game in Nashville. That means he is 16-3-2 with a 1.92 GAA and a .924 SP in games where Elliott was his backup, but where Allen was NOT considered the team's #1. If that situation produces that kind of results in the regular season, I am fine running with that scenario in the playoffs and allowing it to work until it doesn't.

I would love to hear Hitch say "He's earned one more start" about 15 times this post-season, please. ;)

I said in the other site, that Brodeur might go down as the most important signing of the year for the BLues. I have read a couple of times that Martin and Jake have been spending time together.

I said that this will be an interesting last few games, and thought that there might be a change if Allen gets the hawks in one of his last two starts. I think we very well could be seeing a shift in goal for the Blues.

I think that will be confirmed if Allen gets 2 of the next 3 starts, or maybe even if he gets the hawks again at home.

I'llBeBackes wrote:He looks great. But I'm still a little unsure because he usually does really well then some mistake causes him to go on a bad streak. Hopefully he's over that.
The Pens game started to convince me he is over that...he let in two goals that you could argue were weak, but then bounced back and made some huge saves that kept us in the game that we eventually won. Even last night, that goal was not his fault at all but he still stayed in the game and was excellent after it.

I love how far he's been coming out of the crease to challenge shooters...I love the aggressiveness. Whose the last goalie we had that played like that?

MissouriMook wrote:The worst possible scenario is for Allen to be proclaimed the starter. We saw how he responded earlier in the season when he was given the #1 job. Even if he starts Game 1, it has to be in the context that if he has one bad game Elliott is going in.

Think about this for a minute - Allen was 5-3-2 with a 3.38 GAA and a .881 SP from the time Elliott got hurt in the OTT game until Ells returned for the game in Nashville. That means he is 16-3-2 with a 1.92 GAA and a .924 SP in games where Elliott was his backup, but where Allen was NOT considered the team's #1. If that situation produces that kind of results in the regular season, I am fine running with that scenario in the playoffs and allowing it to work until it doesn't.

I would love to hear Hitch say "He's earned one more start" about 15 times this post-season, please. ;)
That is where my hesitation came about also, was due to that not so steady run.

However, I think two things come into play here: 1) Elliott and Allen are very close. IF Allen is named starter, I cannot see Elliott doing anything but supporting him and giving him his room. 2) Marty is now helping out, and I think him and Corsi have got Jake settled down for the most part.

This could all be moot conversation, and Elliott starts anyway. Will be interesting to see who goes Tuesday and then Thursday. IF Elliott starts as I'd suspect vs the Jets and plays lights out, what you do then?

As Gordo said in his piece today, the Playoffs have really started with implications and excitement level. Couldn't ask for a more fun, stressful, entertaining, last week of hockey!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Allen will play against The Jets. If he plays well against them, why move to Elliott (who has recently played poorly) to play against The Hawks, when Allen played so well against them? I think he HAS to start Allen vs. The Hawks in that situation, as home ice in the first 2 series (and, possibly The WCF (The Blues can still pass Anaheim) is crucial.

If Allen plays very well, and wins vs. The Jets, I'd also play him vs. The Hawks.

As to the playoffs, if Allen is still hot, I'd start him in game one. He has better reflexes than Elliott, is a much better stickhandler, and, when he is on his game, he is better at rebound control. When he is playing well, he has almost no weakness. When Elliott is playing his very best, he still has some weaknesses which can possibly be exploited.

Best for The Blues if Allen is playing lights out. He could win games for them, while Elliott, at his best, can keep them in games, but not really "steal" them from the other team.

Man in the box wrote:I just don't see a scenario where Hitch goes with Allen over Elliot unless Elliot just does nothing with his last few starts. It won't be so much about Allen earning it, but rather Elliot losing it.
After tonight, there will only be two starts left; Thursday Vs Hawks and Friday vs Wild.

There are two possibilities, and it is a totally predicated on how Allen does tonight.

IF Allen plays well and gets the win tonight, or at least plays well enough to give us a chance (no soft/bad goals), then Hitch will start Allen vs the 'hawks again on Thursday, then Elliott will get a final Blues start on Saturday afternoon vs the Wild.

IF Allen lays an egg vs the Jets tonight, then Hitch will most likely try to roll with Elliott last two games and into the playoffs.

So, not trying to be argumentative, but this has nothing to do with Elliott anymore.

The net is Allen's unless he relinquishes it over the next two games, wins the Stanley Cup, or loses in the playoffs.
"Do Only Good Everyday"