Re: Allen in net Sunday

nah; Just getting Allen some starts due to Elliott being tired and maybe even questionable after that slash to the back of the head. That was brutal, but he is the starter first game of the playoffs, unless he is truly hurt. You can bet on that :)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:nah; Just getting Allen some starts due to Elliott being tired and maybe even questionable after that slash to the back of the head. That was brutal, but he is the starter first game of the playoffs, unless he is truly hurt. You can bet on that :)
A week ago I would've agreed with you, but Ells has been shaky (not just last night), Allen has been playing well for awhile now, and I feel like a game that is big for divisional seeding against our rivals in the United Center isn't a game where you start the backup just to get him a start. JMO.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:nah; Just getting Allen some starts due to Elliott being tired and maybe even questionable after that slash to the back of the head. That was brutal, but he is the starter first game of the playoffs, unless he is truly hurt. You can bet on that :)
A week ago I would've agreed with you, but Ells has been shaky (not just last night), Allen has been playing well for awhile now, and I feel like a game that is big for divisional seeding against our rivals in the United Center isn't a game where you start the backup just to get him a start. JMO.
You're probably right. I am clearly on Allen bandwagon, but I have lost some confidence this season in his ability to run with it. Perhaps this time is different. IF he plays great tonight, in the biggest game of the season so far, who do you play Tuesday? For Elliott's sake, I do hope it is because he is slightly banged up, and not because the staff has lost confidence in him. As you said, you don't just start the backup to start the backup.

One thing to think about, ever since the Van game, when Hitch did a goalie circus, they've played Allen more than he had been played previously IIRC.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
You're probably right. I am clearly on Allen bandwagon, but I have lost some confidence this season in his ability to run with it. Perhaps this time is different. IF he plays great tonight, in the biggest game of the season so far, who do you play Tuesday? For Elliott's sake, I do hope it is because he is slightly banged up, and not because the staff has lost confidence in him. As you said, you don't just start the backup to start the backup.

One thing to think about, ever since the Van game, when Hitch did a goalie circus, they've played Allen more than he had been played previously IIRC.
Edit; I take it back; Both in Feb and March/April they played relatively similar numbers, Elliott around 11 games, Allen with 6.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

From JR's article:

ALLEN AGAINST HAWKS

The Blues will turn to Jake Allen Sunday against Chicago.

"It's his turn," Hitchcock said.

There was obviously more involved in the decision than that. Hitchcock recently reaffirmed that Brian Elliott was the team's starter and would get the bulk of the games down the stretch. It's hard to imagine that a Central Division showdown against the Blackhawks, with as much riding as there is in the standings, wouldn't be one of those games.

"We've got four games left in six days, we've got to play them both," Hitchcock said. "He needs the experience. We want to win it, but he needs the experience as do other people so that we're not all starry-eyed if we happen to play these guys sometime down the road."

Allen does have the better numbers lately. He is 3-0-2 in his last five decisions, and in his last three starts, he has allowed just five goals on 97 shots for a .948 save-percentage. Elliott is 1-3-1 in his last five decisions, and in that span, he has allowed 16 goals on 119 shots for an .866 save-percentage. His win came Friday in Dallas while allowing five goals on 32 shots.

"He'd like to have a couple of them back (Friday), but how many saves did he make in the third period when the game was on the line," Hitchcock said. "He made five 10-bellers in the third period alone. Yeah, he'd like to have some of them back, but when we needed him, he stepped up big time in the third."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... Kc.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to add to that: Since Vancouver game, in his last 11 games (not including Vancouver), Elliott has been above .900 5 times with 2 shouts (vs Cgy and Phi), while his other 6 have been sub .899, and with 5 of those 6 sub .850 and 2 at .750

In that same span, including the Vancouver game for Allen since he was the starter, he has had 4 games above .900 with one shutout, and 2 under .899

Allen has played much better lately, that is for sure. What to do if he his lights out vs 'hawks :? Roll withAllen?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Big game for Blues and Jake Sunday night in Chicago .I like both goalies but lately Jake has the Hot hand.If Jake plays well and wins.I would ride him till he is not .This is a. Big test for him against the Hawks in agruebably in the biggest game of the year.I hope he plays well and wins.If not then put Elliott back in.I thought Elliott look very good in 1st period and so so in the 2nd but good again 3rd.He seems to me to be struggling putting a complete good game together.I am no goalie coach but Jakes look to me to be playing better of the 2 right now.It will be interesting to me to see how Jake plays in this big game.In his past he struggle in the World Junior championship final game if remember right and he struggle with the Chicago Wolves in 1st round of last year AHL playoffs.How will he play tomorrow. It will be interesting to see.Let's Go Blues and beat those slimey Blackhawks .

I'm conflicted on this. On one hand, I thought Elliott played his ass off last night and the only one that was really on him was the first Benn goal. I'd really like to see the staff show more confidence in him. On the other hand, the team just seems to play better in front of Allen and we really need them playing their best tomorrow night.

There should be no explanation necessary for Allen getting the start in Chicago tomorrow. Elliott himself should have seen this coming. He was terrible last night. Period.

I'm a big Elliott supporter but we must do the obvious things as they unfold before us. If his putrid play continues, no chance he finds himself between the pipes for round one. Zero chance.

Some more Hitch comments:

But while defending Elliott and naming Allen Sunday’s starter, Hitchcock seemed to loosen up words regarding the situation.

“He’s with us the rest of the way as one of the two guys,” Hitchcock said.

Certainly not the "he's our starter heading into the playoffs" that we heard a week or so ago.

If Allen plays well tonight I think you have to roll with him. If he doesn't...well then we're gonna be in a bit of an ugly situation.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:Some more Hitch comments:

But while defending Elliott and naming Allen Sunday’s starter, Hitchcock seemed to loosen up words regarding the situation.

“He’s with us the rest of the way as one of the two guys,” Hitchcock said.

Certainly not the "he's our starter heading into the playoffs" that we heard a week or so ago.

If Allen plays well tonight I think you have to roll with him. If he doesn't...well then we're gonna be in a bit of an ugly situation.
If the D doesn't get it's shit together, it won't matter who is in goal.

I believe that there is no way Allen plays any worse than Elliot would if he was the starter tonight and there is the chance that this kid stands on his head, gets some confidence and runs with it.

I think that Elliott is a " know commodity ", meaning that we already know what to expect from him in big game pressure situations. Allen is an unknown at this point with potentially a higher ceiling level than Elliott. Either way I just want whatever goalie that gives the Blues the best chance to win to get the starts from here on out. It is practically the playoffs at this point now, just playing for seeding not advancement to the next round yet

I think it's as simple as riding the hot hand. Allen has earned the chance to prove himself (which is what we are hoping for, right?) and Elliott (the former best backup in the NHL) gets to hang out with Brodeur and figure it out until Allen runs out of steam.

Poetically, I root for Moose to lead the Cup Charge. His story begs for it. Always thought of as not good enough, but makes the team and leads team to Championship. Maybe I'm soft- headed and soft- hearted, but I would prefer Elliott to lead the way. He did not and never did choke against LA. We coulda have gone up 3-0 behind him if we scored A GOALin game three. The only bad- looking goal he allowed was the OT winner when Schwartz's stick check as the shot was released caused a noticeable change in direction and speed.
I WILL howveer scream and cry as loud as anyone if Allen leads us to a parade. I am not irrational, just sentimental.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I don't see why you guys are so confident in Allen when he hasn't beaten them all year and gave up 4 goals to them in a December loss.
His raw ability is why we were so confident. Dude's putting it together at the right time.