Re: Ty Rattie recalled

StL Dan wrote:I hope he shows he can be more assertive and aggressive this time up than last.
I was happy with improvement he showed last time, it takes time for these guys to get a little experience and get comfortable.

FYI, you'll know he's really comfortable when he throws Hitchcock under the bus after a game.

That would have to be a pretty big bus.

And how many guys would it take to actually throw Hitchcock?

MIZDSP wrote:
StL Dan wrote:I hope he shows he can be more assertive and aggressive this time up than last.
It also goes to show how far Paajarvi has fallen on the organizational depth chart. He is tearing it up in Chicago right now.
I forgot that dude even existed.

MIZDSP wrote:
It also goes to show how far Paajarvi has fallen on the organizational depth chart. He is tearing it up in Chicago right now.
Paajarvi is tearing it up? or Rattie? I wish I could follow the Wolves a little closer. I really only check out the box scores maybe once a week and keep track of points and stats. Any additional information would be awesome.

MIZDSP wrote:
Rattie was player of the week in the AHL last week. Give him a little credit. I also think it's smart to keep Paajarvi down there. I don't think bringing him back up so soon to only give him 4th line minutes again is really a good idea at this point. He just needs to play and play often without worrying about anything else. If he's going to be in the NHL again, it'll be next year.

bluetuned wrote:
MIZDSP wrote:
Rattie was player of the week in the AHL last week. Give him a little credit. I also think it's smart to keep Paajarvi down there. I don't think bringing him back up so soon to only give him 4th line minutes again is really a good idea at this point. He just needs to play and play often without worrying about anything else. If he's going to be in the NHL again, it'll be next year.
My comment probably came off as being negative. Kid has talent. Just hope he is able to show it off while here this time.

Kariyadog wrote:Does this mean Tarasenko's knee is more than a day to day, or just a precautionary measure?
Hitch told the media today that from now to the end of the playoffs that all injuries would be termed "day to day"...so that's really all we know. Tarasenko has been ruled out for tomorrow and Hitch said everyone would be healthy for the playoffs (barring any future injuries of course).

What that tells me is that Tarasenko could certainly miss a few games, maybe even the rest of the regular season. Steen wasn't ruled out for tomorrow so I would suspect that he's closer to returning, even if he doesn't return tomorrow.

My guess is that Steen has a very slight sprained knee and Tarasenko has a slightly worse sprained knee or sprained ankle...but neither injury is overly severe.

WebSant wrote:If Porter plays and Rattie sits, won't this be a clear indication that Hitch isn't worried much about the Blues recent goal production?

Porter never has scored goals.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would cause him to start now?
Because Rattie has scored so often in the nhl.
UNTIL Rattie proves he can score at this level, Porter is the better hockey player.

Qapod The Mortician wrote:
WebSant wrote:If Porter plays and Rattie sits, won't this be a clear indication that Hitch isn't worried much about the Blues recent goal production?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any time Porter is in our lineup, we're a worse team for it. No one should ever sit in favor of Porter.
There used to be a time I disagreed with that statement, but not anymore.

Last regular season

Rattie - 2 games played, 22:06 of total ice, 0 goals, 0 assists

Porter - 22 games played, 228:16 of total ice, 0 goals, 1 assist

This regular season

Rattie - 5 games played, 44:39 of total ice, 0 goals, 1 assist

Porter - 21 games played, 198:12 of total ice, 1 goal, 1 assist

And, if a player has to prove that he can score goals in the NHL as a precondition for allowing him to play substantive minutes in the NHL then doesn't that player never play substantive minutes in the NHL?

Battra wrote:

Any time Porter is in our lineup, we're a worse team for it. No one should ever sit in favor of Porter.
Completely agree.

WebSant wrote:Last regular season

This regular season

And, if a player has to prove that he can score goals in the NHL as a precondition for allowing him to play substantive minutes in the NHL then doesn't that player never play substantive minutes in the NHL?
The obvious point is, if neither player is going to score, Porter, admittedly, a marginal nhl player, brings more to the table than Rattie.
If and when, Rattie starts to score, then obviously the table turns. But, that has to be seen yet.
How many "scorers" have we seen come this way that people whined and screamed because the coach was using grinders ahead of them, and as time passed, we learned that the coaches knew more than we did, because the "scorer" never made it.
Ice time should be earned - not given.

barnburner wrote:

This regular season

The obvious point is, if neither player is going to score, Porter, admittedly, a marginal nhl player, brings more to the table than Rattie.
If and when, Rattie starts to score, then obviously the table turns. But, that has to be seen yet.
How many "scorers" have we seen come this way that people whined and screamed because the coach was using grinders ahead of them, and as time passed, we learned that the coaches knew more than we did, because the "scorer" never made it.
So you have doubt in your mind as to whether or not Rattie will become a better scorer than Porter?

I never bet on things that I do not have some control over, but I'd be willing to wager some money on that one as Rattie gets some experience and becomes more comfortable.

Man in the box wrote:
Battra wrote:f Porter plays and Rattie sits, won't this be a clear indication that Hitch isn't worried much about the Blues recent goal production?

Completely agree.
My favorite players have always been the blue collar gritty guys, but at some point they need to produce SOMETHING to make their hustle worth it. What good does it do for a guy to play his ass off if literally NOTHING ever comes from it? Porter is terrible at handling the puck and shooting it. There's literally no payoff for his hard work. If he helps create 1-2 goals per season, that means IF he is part of giving up 1-2 goals that year he broke dead even. Meh.

barnburner wrote:

This regular season

So you have doubt in your mind as to whether or not Rattie will become a better scorer than Porter?

I never bet on things that I do not have some control over, but I'd be willing to wager some money on that one as Rattie gets some experience and becomes more comfortable.
Sure I do. Other than a couple of games with the blues, I've never seen him play. The reports I've read have been critical of his skating, and he's undersized. He may well overcome those things. Others have, but until he starts doing it, he's suspect.
I've learned not to be overly swayed by "potential."
That said, I hope he turns out to be a 40 goal scorer. I just won't expect it.

barnburner wrote:Sure I do. Other than a couple of games with the blues, I've never seen him play. The reports I've read have been critical of his skating, and he's undersized. He may well overcome those things. Others have, but until he starts doing it, he's suspect.
I've learned not to be overly swayed by "potential."
That said, I hope he turns out to be a 40 goal scorer. I just won't expect it.
I was at the game in Raleigh, his first game this year, and he looked like he was told hey, if you get near the puck, don't do anything stupid, and always make getting off the ice your first priority. Between ice time and linemates he hasn't been given much of a chance to score in his few games this year. He did start getting a little PP time and a few shifts with some better players, but it's been very limited for a guy just playing his first games in the NHL. Overwhelming for almost everybody at that stage.

I've never gotten hooked by any hype of any player, I don't even pay attention. All I ask is that he looks like he's progressing and getting more comfortable for now, and he did look that way to me in his last stint with us. For now I just ask that he makes us a better team than having Porter out there, and I already feel like it is at least even.....and with a little more experience he'll make us better than having Porter in the lineup, so I'd rather see him in there.