Joe Strauss: Hitchcock wants to stay

Weird timing with all of the Hitch hate lately.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 5941b.html

"Ken Hitchcock insists he would have hedged if asked before Christmas about his future as coach of the Blues. At the time, he was unsigned and undecided about 2015-16. Now he is only unsigned.

Hitchcock, 63 and in his fourth season behind the Blues’ bench, describes himself as “invigorated” by what has transpired with a team stylistically different from its recent predecessors. Hitchcock says he detects “buy-in” to an altered approach that asks his top three lines to play different rather than redundant styles. Others, including general manager Doug Armstrong, have referred to greater give and take – even push and pull – between the rank-and-file and Hitchcock.

Yet if Hitchcock remained unsure about his thirst for more around Thanksgiving, he insists he knows the answer as Easter and the NHL playoffs approach.

“The focus and energy necessary to be a real good coach in this league is really high. I’m more demanding of myself than anybody,” Hitchcock offered earlier this week. “I judge myself on energy and focus and an ability to motivate people and inspire guys to play well. I would say the best description is that this season has reconfirmed how much I love coaching.”

Hitchcock won the Jack Adams Award as NHL coach of the year his first season in St. Louis. He has the Blues poised for a second straight 100-point season. Winning four of the schedule’s last six would leave the club with 50 wins. The Blues are 177-71-27 during the regular season since his hire.

Hitchcock cites the Western Conference’s competitiveness, the possibility that the top seed could finish no more than 10 points ahead of the No. 8 seed and how these Blues have more often climbed than drifted within the standings.

“There are going to be some dynamite teams in our conference that don’t get in (the playoffs). A lot of it is based on the players’ ability to buy what the coaching staff is selling. We’ve accomplished that while transforming the team,” he said. “But what’s invigorated me is coaching a different group of guys. There have been four or five changes and we’ve still had a high level of success. I think the staff and players buying in is what drives me to coach a lot longer. I really want to do that.”

Still, by leaving his future open for question this season, it’s fair to wonder if the organization holds to its September position that the job is his as long as Hitchcock desires it.

Four years is an eternity in the NHL. The Blues have advanced past the first round only once under Hitchcock and have yet to win a second-round game. Forward T.J. Oshie cited information overload after Monday’s unsightly loss to Vancouver. Hitchcock assumes assurances offered in September remain in force today. Others in the organization suggest less tolerance for another first-round playoff exit given the previous three years’ 8-13 postseason record.

“There’s always going to be a question for players and coaches until we win a first round. But it’s a question I’m not afraid to answer,” Hitchcock said. “I don’t know the answer right now but this team is built to go long in series, long in games. We’ve won a lot of games late. We’ve been at our best in the second and third periods. We know we can go the distance. Like everyone else I won’t know until it plays out but I’m looking forward to answering the questions.”

Hitchcock and the club assumed a mutual option on his contract after last season. Hitchcock said that was his preference, much as friend and former Cardinals manager Tony La Russa eventually opted for a year-to-year arrangement that ended days after the club secured the 2011 World Series. The two men speak monthly.

An avid baseball fan, Hitchcock is attuned to La Russa’s extensive rebuild as chief baseball officer of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He’s also aware of La Russa’s thirst for a daily outcome, a verdict that only comes from being part of a team.

Having worked behind the bench in Dallas, Philadelphia and Columbus before relocating here in 2011, Hitchcock tags St. Louis as the first place he and his wife, Corina, have expanded their circle of friends beyond hockey.

“Right now I feel like I would coach forever but I don’t want to make a promise I can’t keep,” Hitchcock said. “Whatever happens, all I know is I want to coach. There were times in November and December where I thought, ‘This is a struggle.’ That ended in January. It’s been off and running since. We had some trouble getting players to buy in and you start wondering if we could do it the way we did before. But when you see what this team can do, it’s invigorating.”

Hitchcock acknowledges “coaching often becomes a battle of wills.” This season has witnessed some of that as Hitchcock ditched a universal north-south approach. The first line centered by David Backes typically funnels the puck toward the net. The second plays more of a creative, rush-attack style while the third typically cycles. Last year’s style was more “territorial,” according to Hitchcock. This one places greater emphasis on puck control. That control became less consistent during a 6-5-3 March.

The coach admits to a grinding pressure this and every regular season. To hear Hitchcock, that pressure actually eases during the playoffs because of the game’s immediacy. There is no more long range.

“During the season you look at the standings 10 times a day. You worry about everything — who’s playing who, who could surge, where that leaves you,” he said. “That goes away when the playoffs start. The game’s right in front of you. The pressure is on. I look forward to playing pressure hockey. You really play one game at a time.”

There is much left to decide. The Blues haven’t scored in the first period of their last 10 games, creating much pressure on the goaltending tandem of Brian Elliott and Jake Allen. They are 4-7 in their last seven on home ice. Vladimir Tarasenko left Monday’s game with a lower-body injury. Jaden Schwartz didn’t play the second period’s final eight minutes as a coach’s decision. A sense of heaviness is only amplified by last season’s injury-related collapse. Squandering home ice two weeks after leading the conference in points would not, shall we say, be a good look.

Hitchcock is energized and invigorated. That’s a positive, because he is good for this city and for this franchise. He gets media and he helped impart an identity and a presence too long missing at Scottrade. But now it’s April. And one catches the vibe that others within the organization are awaiting energy and invigoration on the ice."

Re: Joe Strauss: Hitchcock wants to stay

While I am often first this season on the 'either he takes us strong into the playoffs or he is out', I will say that I always appreciate Hitch's candor and what appears to be a sincere love of the game and openness to his state of mind.

I truly hope he is coaching here next season, because the only way I see that happening is via a strong playoff run.

TY for sharing and LGB!!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

My guess.Hitch sense's a do or die year this year,specially after the Blues signing of Paul Stastny and Lethera and giving Hitch plenty of depth and skill to work with this year and the Blues spending to the cap this year and also taking in the fact the last 2 year were very disappointing 1st round exitt losses after having a 2 game to 0 lead ,then to lose the next 4 games the last 2 years.If the Blues have another 1st round Blues exit for 3rd straight year in a row and being his last year on his contract.He probably won,t be resign and brought back..He looks to me of trying to sell himself and sugar coat it some ,in case the Blues lose again in the 1st round again.I like Hitch but Hitch is no dummy and he probably knows this is a very important year to get the Blues past 1st round or He will be done here.I saw interview a couple of months with him and his wife and she said she really likes it here .Time will tell but if Blues get knock out in 1 st round again.My Guess .Hitch is done here!
Last edited by oldbattler on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At this point I'd rather see that fallout limited to the roster. Wouldn't it be interesting if this were Hitch using the media to send his own message. Maybe the players are tuning him out and getting ballsy with their public comments assuming that he'll retire. Maybe this is Hitch's way of telling them to put on their big boy pants because he may still be around. I can't imagine Army firing him, so unless Stillman cleans house it's a good bet Hitch has a job here if he wants one.

The coaching staff believes that their system is the way to win and must constantly whip the boys back into playing their system or it doesn't work.

Some of coaching is getting your players to play your system. Some of it is also getting the best out of your players even when that doesn't fit perfectly in your system. Hitch has no room for players who don't "buy in".

Put it all together:

The SOB line is a "straight line" North / South, no dangle, grind line. STL line is an East / West, be "creative" line. Oshie has been hammered on for several years to play a certain type of game - no fancy stuff, no dangle, just grind. Now 91 comes in and has a battle of wills with Hitch and Captain Backes has to go enforce the Coach's will... until the Coach "adapts" to the new kid. Now you have Oshie, who I'm sure would like to play a more free style of hockey with less "information", watching the STL play that way.

There is waaay to much dissonance on that hockey team and it stems from Hitch focusing on a system rather than focusing on getting the most out of the players he has.

Sure, Oshie and others could just grow up and play the system. I wish they would. We would see the difference almost immediately. I believe we have seen that a couple times this year. But if the coach can't consistently impose his will, then he needs a new strategy.

blueslifer wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if Army extended him before the playoffs? You think that might send a message to the players? Would it do any good?
I think there is a certain amount of agreement here.

It is a battle of wills between Hitch and some of his players.

Question is, who wins?

Right now, it isn't the team or the fans.

bradleygt89 wrote:
deadphish wrote:So we have a north-south line, an east-west line, a "go around in circles" line, and a jump up and down line I guess. TEH CUPS IZ ARRRRSSSZZZZ!!!

Nope. We are missing the flying V line...
wfws2peozns8yja7d9bm.gif
No way man. Flying V is to structured. This is the new Hitchcock. Way more push and pull between the rank-and-file and Hitchcock. Are you suggesting they Flying V there way into an information induced coma? You think they are tired mentally now..just wait until you bring shapes and letters to the equation. Maybe the flying V would have worked last season, or before January, but not now.

Doug Glatt wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:
deadphish wrote:So we have a north-south line, an east-west line, a "go around in circles" line, and a jump up and down line I guess. TEH CUPS IZ ARRRRSSSZZZZ!!!

Nope. We are missing the flying V line...
wfws2peozns8yja7d9bm.gif
The lighting in that rink is terrible!
Haha. I agree. Emilio!

CaptSMRT wrote:North-South...Creative....fuck...all I see is dump and chase.
Eh I just mainly see dump and change lines.

My wife is a huge hockey fan, but hadn't been to an NHL game in awhile. We went to the game in Raleigh this year and sat behind the benches, and halfway through the first period she said what the fuck is with the constant line changing??? There's games where it seems like the shifts are 6 seconds long.

Qapod The Mortician wrote:

My wife is a huge hockey fan, but hadn't been to an NHL game in awhile. We went to the game in Raleigh this year and sat behind the benches, and halfway through the first period she said what the fuck is with the constant line changing??? There's games where it seems like the shifts are 6 seconds long.
I've been noticing this a lot lately. It seems really odd and momentum-killing.

zilch wrote:
Qapod The Mortician wrote:

I've been noticing this a lot lately. It seems really odd and momentum-killing.
I remember when a shift was 90 seconds...now they're like 30.

Battra wrote:I think we're looking waaaaaay too deeply into some stuff here.
I respectfully disagree. First let me say I think ol frosted tips furnace face should keep his pie hole shut. But the problem that Oshie refers to is apparent when analyzed deeper. You have a north/south line, an east/west line, a circle line, and a get dirty line.

Those are clearly defined roles and guys are paid a lot of money to do a job. But what does Hitchcock do? He juggles personnel so depending on what line you are on, your assignments are different. And make no mistake, Hitch juggles lines a LOT. Where is the one line with the least amount of in-game juggling? The 4th line. And which line receives praise as being consistent? The 4th line.

So yeah, I can see where information overload would be a problem, but that stuff is for behind closed locker room doors.