Re: Oshie fires shots at Hitch

Doug Glatt wrote:
rudy4u51 wrote:I looked around a little bit to find the interview with Oshie making those comments. I wonder if the comments were perhaps taken out of context. Anyways, if anyone has audio or video would be nice to see for myself.
I did a google search, but I found nothing about it. I'd like to see the full interview as well.

There seems to be a disconnect, but I'm not too worried about it. It is a long season, and this stuff happens all the time. There is probably a lot of frustration and pressure throughout the whole organization. It is unusual that it is public, but I don't think Oshie meant any ill will towards Hitch.

This also shows why athletes should just stick to the script. Any deviation and people over analyze.
+1

MissouriMook wrote:
Notebly Blue wrote:That "A" on his jersey means he is a leader for the team, not Hitch.
Not trying to be argumentative here, but the 'A' on his jersey means nothing other than that he is allowed to confer with the ref when the captain isn't on the ice. You can lead without wearing a letter, and just because you're wearing a letter doesn't mean you're leading.
True. Hull wrote the C at one point, and I don't think anyone ever confused him with leadership.

MissouriMook wrote:
Notebly Blue wrote:That "A" on his jersey means he is a leader for the team, not Hitch.
Not trying to be argumentative here, but the 'A' on his jersey means nothing other than that he is allowed to confer with the ref when the captain isn't on the ice. You can lead without wearing a letter, and just because you're wearing a letter doesn't mean you're leading.
Good point and well made.

Notebly Blue wrote:
Ozzies09tc wrote:
Battra wrote: Let's wait till we're out till we declare the playoffs over...

Let's at least wait till the end of the first period in game one....

...... Thats not blues fan fashion...

The ship has sunk (apparently)
I like to think we can recognize when adjustments and changes need to be made. I think in this situation it is evident that some changes are in order whether that be attitude, coaching, rest, etc. I don't think it is unreasonable to state that what the Blues are doing right now is not going to get it done in the Playoffs. I understand if you feel differently. I chose to share my thoughts on the coach of the team and his ability to make those adjustments, especially in light of the recent past and his established approach.

The ship has not sunk. Don't mind the water at your feet though boys...
Sorry blue, i should've used blue font :)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

CaptSMRT wrote:This sounds exactly like Hitch in Columbus, Hitch in Philadelphia, and Hitch in Dallas.

You know it sounds exactly like Oshie when he was coached by Murray and coached by Payne, and now coached by Hitch.

Oshie is a headcase and the reason he is not been traded because of the Broshie Fan Club. For the life of me I cannot understand why he was put on a hockey god pedestal in St. Louis.....hell I am shocked there is not a statue of him outside the Scottrades center by now.

T.C. wrote:tons of information.... that worked so well for murray.
"Ton of information" according to T.J. Some people are overwhelmed by a trickle of information. Not sure it's a problem for the rest of the team.
Based on the performance of the main members of this team, I'd suggest they make their statements on the ice, instead of to the media. When these guys actually win something, then maybe they can shoot off their mouth.

I don't think Oshie is a prima dona or a locker room cancer. I do think he isn't very bright and should probably think before he speaks with a microphone in his face. Based on his previous actions and his most recent quotes it looks like he's still your typical jock bro. imo, he should just embrace it instead of trying to be a pseudo leader on this team.

Not sure if him not being available to the media was a team decision or not.

Our skill guys don't want to play the grinder game because they get beat up- Vladi, Schwartz. Steen has skill but seems willing to go to the dirty areas to score. Backs sometimes forgets he has little skill and his place is to stand in front and beat the crap out of guys and get beat up while screening, tipping, and hoping for rebounds. Osh has mad puck handling skills pregame and on shootouts but not so much when the pylons have legs and move- he is and always will be a grinder or he will not score. When the entire SOB line shows up it is fun to watch and productive.

I'd like to see Hitch go all Mike Yeo on them or at least hear about it. I'm starting to like the idea of offering him an extension right now so we can see what players are on board and which need to sit and then go.

Which brings me to my next question. What hockey player would you classify as "smart?"

hotrivets wrote:Our skill guys don't want to play the grinder game because they get beat up- Vladi, Schwartz. Steen has skill but seems willing to go to the dirty areas to score. Backs sometimes forgets he has little skill and his place is to stand in front and beat the crap out of guys and get beat up while screening, tipping, and hoping for rebounds. Osh has mad puck handling skills pregame and on shootouts but not so much when the pylons have legs and move- he is and always will be a grinder or he will not score. When the entire SOB line shows up it is fun to watch and productive.

I'd like to see Hitch go all Mike Yeo on them or at least hear about it. I'm starting to like the idea of offering him an extension right now so we can see what players are on board and which need to sit and then go.

Which brings me to my next question. What hockey player would you classify as "smart?"
Actually, Backes is extremely versatile and possesses a lot of skill. His hand/eye coordination in front of the net is exceptional.

Steener, Schwartz and Shatty stand out as being "smart" hockey players, among others.

holdem wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Something's very wrong (other than Bouwmeester being hurt and only a shadow of his former self). And I don't think it's mostly on the players. I think Hitchcock is too much into a complicated system, and is changing up the lines and defensive pairings too much. I think that, like Andy Murray, the team, especially the forwards, are tuning him out. It's just a guess. But, he's had friction from Backes, Oshie, Stastny, (and seemingly, Tarasenko and Berglund).
Very true Robb; by now you should have your lines set and chemistry committed, game plan ready to roll. Obviously injuries and some in-game adjustments will happen, but there's just a sense of 'complication' or perhaps a combination of that plus the players not giving enough of a sheet.

No matter what, they need to throw some chairs, beat some ass, and then come out and play as a unit here on out, or it will be early exit all over again.
As someone who gambles on quite a bit of hockey, Hitch switches his lines FAR less than most in the NHL, including top teams and playoff contenders.
I seriously do trust that statement based on your preface (and your giant balls), but not many teams have the line identities that Hitch has. Line 1 is North/South, Line 2 is East/West, line 3 is circular, etc. so the personnel juggling has far greater implications on an individual basis for those teams. For the Blues, we see a lot of mental mistakes, and I may be wrong but I attribute a lot of that to the line juggling and communication.

Eh, if your sales team is out trying to sell and the boss keeps pulling you in for meetings and motivational videos you might say something as well. Especially if you kept missing your end of year goals and you felt all the meetings weren't helping.

You might get fired. Oshie might get "fired".

Oshie made a choice. Now he lives with the consequences, whatever they may be.

I don't think Hitch should be immune from criticism and I don't think his players should just be lemmings.

d--train wrote:
barnburner wrote:According to this morning's column in the p.d., Oshie was "unavailable for comment" after practice yesterday.

Sounds like a couple of his teammates probably told him to shut his mouth.
Link?

Probably not.
I figured since I referred to the morning's column in the p.d., that was sufficient, but here's the link anyway.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 04ff4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;