Re: Oshie fires shots at Hitch

Doug Glatt wrote:
MIZDSP wrote:Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 31m 31 minutes ago
Too much information? Oshie: “I can’t point one finger on it. I’ll just say it was nice for me coming in tonight. I was mentally fresh."

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford · 32m 32 minutes ago
Oshie: "I didn’t think the flu would be good for me, but coming back in tonight and not having to sit through all the meetings ... (1/2)

Oshie cont'd: " ... and same old practices it really felt good to get out there." (2/2)

Too bad you played like shit tonight TJ. This team is done. TJ needs to go for saying shit like that to the media.
Lets take a step back from the edge. Its at the end of a long season, and the team hasn't had to play desperate hockey. A full NHL season is as mentally draining as it is physically. I don't take Oshie's comments as shots at anyone.

Let's put this current stretch of poor performances into perspective. I'm withholding judgment until the playoffs. If they have a bad playoff showing, then fire Hitch and move some players. But what if this team makes a deep cup run or wins it all? Then what would you do with Hitch?

Doug; I think most would agree that if they can turn it around, Hitch and core (most) should stay. However, this lack of being prepared, the consistent inconsistent play, the non-chemistry that we see pop up often, the lack of effort and drive, and make a deep run, it will be something classified as a sports miracle if they do make a run.

As much talent, skill, and determination the team displays at time, they should be able to get hot in the playoffs. However, there is just something missing, that resolve or heart, and I think that is why many fans are starting to lower the expectations. As I've said before, it is not just how deep they go, it is how they get there. If they play their hearts out and lose in the first, that is one thing. But efforts like last night and many other times we see this team lay an egg, against teams they should be fired up to play and in front of their home fans, is just infuriating to watch. Especially when you KNOW they can do better.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I think if Oshie put as much time and effort into playing the game as he does with his little puck parlor tricks he wouldn't have to think so much. Frankly I'm just tired of the excuses. You expect fans to spend their hard-earned money watching slop like last night and then make excuses about having to think too much? No question about it, if the Blues tank in the playoffs Oshie should be one of the first players on the trade express. There's just no room for that kind of attitude on a team with Cup aspirations.

bradleygt89 wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:
Too much information? Oshie: “I can’t point one finger on it. I’ll just say it was nice for me coming in tonight. I was mentally fresh."

Oshie: "I didn’t think the flu would be good for me, but coming back in tonight and not having to sit through all the meetings ... (1/2)

Oshie cont'd: " ... and same old practices it really felt good to get out there." (2/2)

Too bad you played like shit tonight TJ. This team is done. TJ needs to go for saying shit like that to the media.
Lets take a step back from the edge. Its at the end of a long season, and the team hasn't had to play desperate hockey. A full NHL season is as mentally draining as it is physically. I don't take Oshie's comments as shots at anyone.

Let's put this current stretch of poor performances into perspective. I'm withholding judgment until the playoffs. If they have a bad playoff showing, then fire Hitch and move some players. But what if this team makes a deep cup run or wins it all? Then what would you do with Hitch?

Doug; I think most would agree that if they can turn it around, Hitch and core (most) should stay. However, this lack of being prepared, the consistent inconsistent play, the non-chemistry that we see pop up often, the lack of effort and drive, and make a deep run, it will be something classified as a sports miracle if they do make a run.

As much talent, skill, and determination the team displays at time, they should be able to get hot in the playoffs. However, there is just something missing, that resolve or heart, and I think that is why many fans are starting to lower the expectations. As I've said before, it is not just how deep they go, it is how they get there. If they play their hearts out and lose in the first, that is one thing. But efforts like last night and many other times we see this team lay an egg, against teams they should be fired up to play and in front of their home fans, is just infuriating to watch. Especially when you KNOW they can do better.
I understand why there is frustration. Last night was pretty pathetic, but it wasn't the end of the world. This is the best blues team I have seen regarding talent and depth. I'm still not in panic mode yet. I could care less where they finish in the regular season. It is all about the playoffs with me.

Also lets not forget how bad the blues finished last year. Then when the playoffs came around they played a very close and tough series with Chicago even with Miller crapping out. (Chicago is an elite team as much as I hate to say) I think compared to last year the Blues have improved significantly, and they are much more suited for the playoffs. Despite their current form the Blues have as good a shot as anyone. As a fan that is all I really can ask for.

Anyways my point is to save judgment for the playoffs because nobody knows what is going to happen.

Totally agree Doug. Just frustrating for all I'm sure. I just lost time last night on a crappy game. I truly feel bad for the fans, especially anyone new/er to the game who went last night and saw that pathetic effort. I honestly don't expect a win every time they play, but my God that was two piss poor efforts in a row by this team in front of big crowds. Sad.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Oshie has every right to speak up, I'm sure he's not the only one feeling this way. If something needed to be said, he's well within his right as a team leader to say so. Maybe the coaching staff will respond and make a change to help this team and if not, well then we know there will be big changes in the offseason with Oshie possibly being a prime candidate to be moved.
Either way it's a win win situation somewhere down the road. This team is mentally tired, you can see it in the mistakes made on the ice. Not every guy has the same mental makeup and the coaching staff needs to realize that.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

bradleygt89 wrote:Totally agree Doug. Just frustrating for all I'm sure. I just lost time last night on a crappy game. I truly feel bad for the fans, especially anyone new/er to the game who went last night and saw that pathetic effort. I honestly don't expect a win every time they play, but my God that was two piss poor efforts in a row by this team in front of big crowds. Sad.
Very frustrating. Then I remind myself of the "dark days". I'll gladly take frustrating loses waiting for the playoffs to start over a suckfest of a season for the number 1 pick. Good god, I just looked up our roster from when we had the number one pick. :lol:

Fan stress levels are directly related to their team's expectations.

sorry for the edits. I haven't had coffee yet

Much of the current issues are no doubt with the coaching staff, but at some point the players have to rise above the expectations and start providing an effort and making plays. This has become a team that is clearly not playing for each other.

Let me be very clear about what I believe is a fundamental flaw in the outcome of the last 3 years and what seems inevitable again this year:

Talented =/= Winner

My fear is that we have the most talented team in recent memory, but not enough guys that will run through a brick wall for the guy sitting next to him on the bench. That doesn't mean go out an hit everything in sight. That doesn't mean go out there and freelance. If the coaching staff is giving this team too much information, its up to the "leaders" on this team (Backes, Oshie, Steen, Jackman) to pull the guys together and get everyone doing whatever it takes to win, which could very well include tuning out the coaching staff to a degree.

In my mind, the failings we have seen recently boil down to two simple things - failure to invest and failure to execute. Mental fatigue may be the cause of both, but these are professionals and they should be developed mentally and physically to the point where they know what their minds and bodies are capable of and give the best effort they can within those capabilities. Personally, I think we have plenty of players just not enough winners.

MIZDSP wrote:This is Oshie's third coach. Maybe he is part of the problem. It would be one thing if he played well tonight and could back that type of talk up. But he played like dog shit. Unprofessional.
And this is looking like Hitch's 4th early exit with the Blues. Hitch, Oshie, Backes, every damn player, coach, skate sharpener, the WHOLE organization is part of this. Everyone bears some of the blame!

That ain't the point!

Hitch can't fix it! He is the coach and his job is to get a group of guys to win games when it counts! End of the season battling for play off position is when it counts! and the playoffs are when it counts! Right now he is failing and recent history suggests that will lead to a major failure in the playoffs!

Alright, done. Damn. I feel better. Now I hope the Blues play better.

Notebly Blue wrote:
MIZDSP wrote:This is Oshie's third coach. Maybe he is part of the problem. It would be one thing if he played well tonight and could back that type of talk up. But he played like dog shit. Unprofessional.
And this is looking like Hitch's 4th early exit with the Blues.
Hasn't even happened yet, why speculate as if it's fact?

And that said - this would also be the 4th early exit under the current captain. Why is Hitch the whipping boy and Backes gets a free pass?

HockeyFan85 wrote:
Notebly Blue wrote:
And this is looking like Hitch's 4th early exit with the Blues.
Hasn't even happened yet, why speculate as if it's fact?

And that said - this would also be the 4th early exit under the current captain. Why is Hitch the whipping boy and Backes gets a free pass?
If they go out in the first round, Backes is the guy to go, IMO. He is entering the downslope of his career but he could still fetch a great return. There are a ton of teams who would kill to have the guy.

Another first round exit, and the front office needs to look at building this team around guys like Fabbri, Tarasenko, Schwartz and Shattenkirk. Even if they take a step back for a year or two.

a coach's job is to teach and motivate. Hitch is failing on themotivating part.

the players should have some motivation by themselves and this should show up in big games. i am afraid that those games are in the playoffs. hope they get their shit together before that.

I've been waiting for this team to click all season. I've seen them play better in stretched last season and the year before. We no longer dominate teams like we have in recent years. There would be stretches of the game where we would just flat out dominate and you just knew everyone was on the same page. I've only seen that maybe a couple short stretches this season. I'm leaning towards Hitch being the issue here. Last nights game was very alarming. Hopefully we don't crash and burn out like last year. This is all so familiar. :(

That's my doom and gloom. Now back to being optimistic! GO BLUES!!

I don't like to see quotes like this but I also feel like the finger pointing is of no use. It's actually detrimental.

If I was involved with the team, I would gather everyone and say to forget about the past. Time to get over grudges or any past grievances and ask everyone, what do we need to do going forward to fix this? What needs to happen for everyone to get on the same page? It needs to be very open but also very respectful dialogue. Things suck so we can either bitch and complain about it or we can work towards finding a solution. That's how I'd approach it anyway.

This goes back to my opinion that humans in nature absolutely suck at conflict and communication. :) The conflict resolution skills and communication skills of most people absolutely suck IMO and we're seeing a prime example of it here with the Blues right now IMO. This isn't on the players. This isn't on the coaches and it is not in management. It's on EVERYBODY. So stop playing the blame game and stop complaining. Stop acting like chidren and work together to find a solution!

This team absolutely has the ability to go far and even win the Cup...but they will need to rally together to make that happen. They also unfortunately have the ability to completely implode and bow out early...again. Which way things go is entirely up to them. Time to man up, leave the ego at the door and all work together.

Rant over.

STL fan in IA wrote:I don't like to see quotes like this but I also feel like the finger pointing is of no use. It's actually detrimental.

If I was involved with the team, I would gather everyone and say to forget about the past. Time to get over grudges or any past grievances and ask everyone, what do we need to do going forward to fix this? What needs to happen for everyone to get on the same page? It needs to be very open but also very respectful dialogue. Things suck so we can either bitch and complain about it or we can work towards finding a solution. That's how I'd approach it anyway.

This goes back to my opinion that humans in nature absolutely suck at conflict and communication. :) The conflict resolution skills and communication skills of most people absolutely suck IMO and we're seeing a prime example of it here with the Blues right now IMO. This isn't on the players. This isn't on the coaches and it is not in management. It's on EVERYBODY. So stop playing the blame game and stop complaining. Stop acting like chidren and work together to find a solution!

This team absolutely has the ability to go far and even win the Cup...but they will need to rally together to make that happen. They also unfortunately have the ability to completely implode and bow out early...again. Which way things go is entirely up to them. Time to man up, leave the ego at the door and all work together.

Rant over.
well said IA

Although I will also note that when I see normally level headed posters such as yourself, NHLTim and others make similar 'rants', it makes me feel better about my own frustrations :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Notebly Blue wrote:
And this is looking like Hitch's 4th early exit with the Blues. Hitch, Oshie, Backes, every damn player, coach, skate sharpener, the WHOLE organization is part of this. Everyone bears some of the blame!

That ain't the point!

Hitch can't fix it! He is the coach and his job is to get a group of guys to win games when it counts! End of the season battling for play off position is when it counts! and the playoffs are when it counts! Right now he is failing and recent history suggests that will lead to a major failure in the playoffs!

“We’re not (playing) desperate. You know, other teams are fighting for their lives to try to get in, and we’re not matching that. So when you’re not matching the level of tenacity on the ice you’re a step behind, and right now we’re a step behind and in some cases two steps behind,” Hitchcock said. “Whether it’s in foot speed, thinking, reacting, whatever…we’re a step behind.”

bluetuned wrote:I've been a fan of Hitch overall, but another end of the season crash should mean he's out. Hopefully this is just a couple game skid and they can right the ship before the playoffs.
I hope you are right.

Look out, a "hungry" Calgary squad will be here in a couple of days.

Ultimately, the responsibility for the success or lack of it this season will fall on Hitch. I don't think he is the whole problem. We've had some players, assistant coaches and some front office staff that have been here a lot longer and should shoulder those responsibilities as well.

I don't think Hitch holds meetings and practices all day but some overzealous assistants might be piling on.

In my mind it's Conference finals or bust this season but If this team does a first round flameout again there will be big changes.

lol! Yeah, those might have been great points if he didn't come out and look like utter shit.

Let's just make it less painful this year boys. Don't even bother winning those first two. Just go out quick.

Notebly Blue wrote:

That ain't the point!

Let's wait till we're out till we declare the playoffs over...

Let's at least wait till the end of the first period in game one....

Battra wrote: Let's wait till we're out till we declare the playoffs over...

Let's at least wait till the end of the first period in game one....

...... Thats not blues fan fashion...

The ship has sunk (apparently)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Listening to that interview I actually don't think it was Oshie calling out the coaching staff at all. Though my opinions on Hitch still remain the same. There is no reason for three years out of four for this team to collapse two weeks before the playoffs. The only common denominator besides a few core players is the coach. I don't think that Oshei/Backes/Petro/Steen all suddenly decide to stop skating and start playing like crap at the end of each season by choice. Also the fact that Schwartz (who is typically consistent as they come) seems to have hit a wall as well tells me this isn't a personnel issue. Hitch'sTortorella-esque system destroys you over the course of 82 games.

Over the past few decades very few head coaches have won a cup after spending four years with a team. Typically your window to win with any coach is within two to three years of their hiring. There have been exceptions of course but even in those exceptions you have guys like Quenneville who managed to win one in his second full season in Chicago, and Sutter won one in his first season. I'd love to see Hitch be the guy to buck that trend here but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. The boost from getting a new coach is very real and I wouldn't be surprised to see this team flame out this season only to make a long run next year under a different (even lesser) head coach. Hell the Pens won the cup with a very average coach like Dan Byslma as their boss.