Al Arbour

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 6e701.html

In 1960, as an 8 yo, I went to Chicago Stadium with my 3rd grade class. We sat in the heavens and the Bruins won. Al Arbour played that day but I don't remember anything but Bobby Hull's bright blond hair. The next year, I paid attention as the Hawks won the Cup. Al was a defenseman for that team and won his second Cup (1st had been with Detroit.) Al next went to Toronto, where he won his third Cup in '62.

We moved to StL in '66, the season before the Blues were born. When the Blues drafted Glenn Hall and Al Arbour I knew of them both but I thought that Al was over as a player. How delightfully wrong I was. Al was terrific for the Blues

So sad that Blues management didn't stick with Al as a coach. What he did with the Islanders was a joy to watch and I always rooted for them once the Blues were done for the season.

Praying for Al to pass though this storm with dignity, as he played and as he led men.

Re: Al Arbour

I would have loved to have been old enough to remember watching him play. Just wasn't able to comprehend the game yet at the tender age of 1.

His story only makes me prouder of our Blues' history, though. What a stud.

Did he by chance have three sons who changed their last name to "Hanson"?

Re: Al Arbour

I watched Al play his whole career (Detroit, Chicago, Toronto and St. Louis. He was a very good, stay-at-home, defensive defenceman. He was smart and tough. He didn't start fights, but he initiated a lot of contact, and. like Noel Picard and Doug Harvey, kept the crease cleared. He's a great guy, too. I often talked to him during pre game and between periods, when he was a pro scout, before and in-between his coaching jobs. He's a very sharp fellow, but also is very down-to-Earth. Just another kid who grew up in a mining town, where there was nothing else to do but play hockey. I, too, wish him the best.