Re: OT: Vicious Attack during Swedish Hockey Warmups

Qapod The Mortician wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
insideout wrote:I can't believe how pussified hockey has become. I hate to sound harsh, but that's why they say you're supposed to have your head on a swivel. Dude paid the price for putting himself in a vulnerable position. As for anyone who has a problem with a guy finishing his checks, go watch soccer or something. Clean hockey play. Nothing to see here.
I'm tiring of the whole "go watch soccer" comments This was NOT a clean hockey play. It was during warm-ups. I respect your "pussified" opinion but careers are being ended prematurely. If someone virtually decapitated and leveled Robby Fabbri unconcious in pre-game warm-ups and ended his career ala Marc Savard, would you call him a pussy and tell him to keep his head on a swivel??
I hate soccer, in general, but I have to agree with SickMitts on this one.

The dude got suckered from behind during warmups! Ya, maybe he should have been more vigilent considering what he had done to the opposition in previous encounters. But, this is not a situation that necessitates an anti soccer stance.
ruh-roh!!!

That wasn't near PC enough, was it?

barnburner wrote:Even more stunning that this idiotic attack, is how in the hell did the officials decide to let this Durbano wannabe play the game?
This boy needs to be in jail.
Exactly! He should have been thrown out of the game. I think that the ref has the leeway to make that call in The Alsvenskan's rules. It certainly should be so. That will surely bring on a suspension. So why would they let him play the game following that act, when he will be suspended in any case???

Robb_K wrote:
barnburner wrote:Even more stunning that this idiotic attack, is how in the hell did the officials decide to let this Durbano wannabe play the game?
Exactly! He should have been thrown out of the game. I think that the ref has the leeway to make that call in The Alsvenskan's rules. It certainly should be so. That will surely bring on a suspension. So why would they let him play the game following that act, when he will be suspended in any case???
Well, since Deveaux was released by his team after the incident, any suspension would be nothing more than symbolic. And I suppose it could prevent some other team in the league from foolishly offering him a contract next season.

But I have a question for you, Robb K: Is it typical in European hockey leagues for on-ice officials to be present during warm-ups? As I watched the video clip, I was wondering if there was even anyone with the authority for meting out punishment around to witness the attack. Without official oversight, it comes down to he-said, he-said, that-guy's-got-a-video. :?:

JMC-STL wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
Well, since Deveaux was released by his team after the incident, any suspension would be nothing more than symbolic. And I suppose it could prevent some other team in the league from foolishly offering him a contract next season.

But I have a question for you, Robb K: Is it typical in European hockey leagues for on-ice officials to be present during warm-ups? As I watched the video clip, I was wondering if there was even anyone with the authority for meting out punishment around to witness the attack. Without official oversight, it comes down to he-said, he-said, that-guy's-got-a-video. :?:
No. Officials are not on the ice during pre-game warmups. The reason we saw it on film was likely that the victim was a home team player, and that a home team fan made that film. The home team could have shown the film to the officials. And the officials could act upon it. I realise that such action wouldn't be fair to away teams, unless, they also have to film of the pre-game warmups.

MiamiLaw wrote:
foofighter wrote:We should sign this guy for the playoffs.
:lol:
Ill have to say that while this guys reaction was a little overboard, I would rather have seen that in pre game warm ups prior to game three rather than seeing them "hug" after game six. And yes I know that fuck wasn't dressed for game three, but sometimes someone else has to pay the price. Since that didn't happen, our players continue to get run with no fear of retaliation