Fabbri......thoughts?

Playoffs started Friday and Guelph got smoked in game 1 by Owen Sound, 6-1. This is a best of 7 series, so at least in theory, Fabbri's season could be done as soon as Wednesday in the unlikely event that Guelph gets swept. I have no idea how Fabbri has played since coming back from the high ankle sprain, but the idea of bringing him in before the playoffs and bolstering that 3rd line is intriguing. For the record, I don't give a crap about burning a year of his entry level deal IF they think he is ready for the NHL and can be a meaningful addition for the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Re: Fabbri......thoughts?

I've been hoping for it all year and as evidence with the Schwartz contract, it makes sense to burn a year on his contract. Schwartz got hosed on his second contract for not having 3 full years to base what he was worth which of course still blows my mind.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Matangama wrote:Tim, you pay attention to this more than just about anyone.......has Fabbri been playing well and do you think he could step in and make an impact?
He's played fine since he's return, was over a point a game after the return I believe. The first game back, I thought he was a tad bit slower, more cautious especially after loose pucks, but he still played great. More importantly he was having a real good WJC before the injury....probably could argue he was Canada's best player at the time. The Blues kept close tabs on him throughout the season, and he did make a few trips with the team during the injury. We'll see what happens, but it would be nice to see if he's the spark this team could use.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Gonna have to watch this game later today...looks like Fabbri dropped the gloves at the end of the second with Centorame. He must have been frustrated as hell...

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote:Gonna have to watch this game later today...looks like Fabbri dropped the gloves at the end of the second with Centorame. He must have been frustrated as hell...
I saw that! I love that......though don't want him to make a habit of it. Still, I love the passion.

NHLTIM wrote:I've been hoping for it all year and as evidence with the Schwartz contract, it makes sense to burn a year on his contract. Schwartz got hosed on his second contract for not having 3 full years to base what he was worth which of course still blows my mind.
But is was not just the burning of that first year that caused the "negotiation advantage to the Blues". It was also caused by the lower number of games played due to the later lock-out shortened season. This made him ineligible for arbitration, Fabbri would not likely be the same.

It sure is temping but that's also an awful lot to ask of a teenager, especially an undersized teenager. He COULD potentially help but he COULD also potentially get his block knocked off. Again, it's REALLY tempting but if I were the Blues, I'd really only consider it if they end up decimated with injuries at forward again like they were last season. It's exciting to think of having him in there instead of Bergy but it would be a super tough task to come in and begin your pro career right as the playoffs were starting. I don't know if I would be convinced that Fabbri would be a better playoff option than Bergy right now. Fabbri is obviously miles better offensively and has way higher potential, but Bergy also brings some good intangibles that it would be hard for a teenage Fabbri to match.

Matangama wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:Gonna have to watch this game later today...looks like Fabbri dropped the gloves at the end of the second with Centorame. He must have been frustrated as hell...
I saw that! I love that......though don't want him to make a habit of it. Still, I love the passion.
I only caught a few minutes at the end of the 1st in Game 1. He had a play where he tried to split the defense 1-on-2 and his burst of speed on that play was the likes of which I haven't seen from a guy wearing a Bluenote since Chuck Lefley. The kid has wheels (and most importantly, those wheels seem to be healthy) and his speed would certainly be useful in the playoffs.

Hoping to catch some of Game 2, and expect to see a better showing from Guelph in this one.

I don't buy the size issue at all. Fabbri isn't going to get much bigger. Sure he will get stronger but his size gives him that unique skill. Look at Johnny Gaudreau....a lot of people thought he was too small...he looks pretty good to me.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Seems like a short amount of time to try and get him in and make him effective meshing with the squad at the NHL level.

Considering his injury and lack of NHL experience, I'd be for letting him shut it down and be being ready for making a strong push at next year's camp.

I think the injury concern is a bit overblown for a young, smaller guy. The concern for me is will he be able to be effective? If it looks like he can, then he should play. Then again I thought he should have made the team out of camp with as good as he looked, and I'm generally of the opinion that the NHL is a young man's game at forward. I think Fabbri can play here and make a difference. He damn sure would have looked better than Lindstrom did for 30ish games earlier this year.

Who's spot does he take?

Hitch hates rookies.

17 got the call up because we had several important injuries.

The 1st year of his ELC? Seems there is good and bad. I don't think we need him right now. We need the 1st and 3rd line to start playing better.

We're not going anywhere if Berg and Oshie don't step it up.

BluesSK wrote:I think I'd rather see him getting his feet wet in the pros by playing for the Chicago Wolves during their playoffs.

In my opinion, the Blues are going to live and die with what they have right now and adding more changes will hinder the team.
Fabbri can't play in the AHL until he turns 20. His only options are the NHL or OHL.

What a steal he was for where we drafted. The kids the real deal.
Butt...... Imo NHL Playoff Hockey is a whole different animal. I do not throw him in to the mix. Not the place to start a long pro career unless his head can swivel 360 and one mistake can cost you a game or a series.

MIZDSP wrote:
BluesSK wrote:I think I'd rather see him getting his feet wet in the pros by playing for the Chicago Wolves during their playoffs.

In my opinion, the Blues are going to live and die with what they have right now and adding more changes will hinder the team.
Fabbri can't play in the AHL until he turns 20. His only options are the NHL or OHL.
Fabbri could play for the Wolves yet this season once his OHL season is over. That type of scenario happens all the time. Once his OHL team's season is over, the Blues can assign him anywhere they want basically. And it wouldn't burn any of his ELC. He'd be playing on a PTO for the rest of this season for the Wolves.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's absolutely a possibility.

With a couple key wins this weekend the Wolves now have an 84% chance of making the AHL playoffs. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/hockey/U ... icago.html. A playoff run with the Wolves probably wouldn't be a bad thing for Fabbri.

STL fan in IA wrote:
MIZDSP wrote:

Fabbri could play for the Wolves yet this season once his OHL season is over. That type of scenario happens all the time. Once his OHL team's season is over, the Blues can assign him anywhere they want basically. And it wouldn't burn any of his ELC. He'd be playing on a PTO for the rest of this season for the Wolves.

With a couple key wins this weekend the Wolves now have an 84% chance of making the AHL playoffs. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/hockey/U ... icago.html. A playoff run with the Wolves probably wouldn't be a bad thing for Fabbri.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that.

STL fan in IA wrote:
MIZDSP wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be 21 to play in the AHL. I'm pretty sure that's a league rule, and I believe Fabbri is only 18. Or would this situation not apply to the 21 and up rule? (I'm legitmately asking, not being a wise ass)

nae352 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be 21 to play in the AHL. I'm pretty sure that's a league rule, and I believe Fabbri is only 18. Or would this situation not apply to the 21 and up rule? (I'm legitmately asking, not being a wise ass)
You're incorrect. The AHL has the same age limit as the NHL - 18 (just have to be a legal adult basically).

The CHL (Canadian Hockey League - the governing body of the OHL, WHL and QMJHL), has an agreement in place with the NHL that NHL teams will return players drafted from the CHL to their CHL team and not assign them to their AHL teams unless/until either of the following are true:

1. The player turns 20 in the year in which the season starts.
2. Has played 4 seasons in the CHL

Take Barbashev for example. He was drafted from the QMJHL and this is his 3rd season in the Q. BUT, he can play in the AHL next season even though he'll still only be 19 when the season starts. This is because Barbashev was born on 12/14/95. He'll be 19 when the season starts but will be 20 "in the year in which the season starts." If he would've been born on 1/1/96 instead, he would have to go back to the Q next season if he didn't make the Blues.

Also, this "Under 20" rule only applies to players drafted from CHL teams. It does not apply to anyone going the college route, drafted from any European team OR a player drafted from a non-CHL team that then later decides to play for a CHL team AFTER being drafted. So for example, if a kid plays in the USHL during his draft year but then goes to a CHL team AFTER being drafted, he's not held to the under 20 rule.

Kids under 20 in the AHL are rare but it's not because the AHL has a different age limit than the NHL. It's because of the Under 20 agreement with the CHL and for kids that go the college and European routes, they're likely to stay in college/Europe until they're at least 20 before playing in the AHL...but there's no rule restricting them from doing so.

For example, BOS drafted David Pastrnak 25th overall this past June yet he played the first 24 games of this season in the AHL even though he was only 18 (and now he's with the Bruins and has 25 pts in 40 games - absolute steal of a pick). Why was he able to go directly to the AHL as an 18 yr old though? Because he was drafted out of Sweden.

Julius Honka is an even more interesting case. He was drafted last summer 14th overall by Dallas and played all of this season in the AHL even though he played all of last season in the WHL. Why he was AHL eligible is because technically, his Finnish team was loaning him to his WHL team so officially, he was drafted from his Finnish team, not the WHL, thus he wasn't held to the Under 20 rule.

Lots of bizarre scenarios. :)