Thoughts on CLB game

I am not that disappointed with this game.
The two d-men that returned to the lineup, each mad a mistake that helped lead to a goal. Not that surprising.

I thought the Blues had a ton of pressure, and little pressure against.

I expected a better game from Elliott tonight. The first goal was stoppable. None of the goals were awful, but he really only needed to make a few key saves tonight.

Thought the team played hard actually, was surprised to see posts stating lack of effort.

I like Ott. Ott and Reaves with Backes???? Seriously awful decision.....imo.

Re: Thoughts on CLB game

I'm disappointed. There didn't seem to be any game plan for dealing with a team coming off a back to back. We just had 4 days off. There should have been a physical presence to wear them down.

Not sure who is at fault. Coach? Players? Maybe we are in the stay healthy for the the playoffs.

Worrisome heading into the brutal playoffs.

I'm more than a bit concerned about Elliott right now. He's been trending in the wrong direction for a bit now. The Blues certainly didn't have their best effort tonight but they absolutely could have won if Elliott had stopped one of the first two goals both of which he really needs to have. Really wish we could see Allen get a shot at the job and it's not just about losing one game but just watching Elliott he has zero confidence right now and that isn't good going into the playoffs.

foofighter wrote:I'm disappointed. There didn't seem to be any game plan for dealing with a team coming off a back to back. We just had 4 days off. There should have been a physical presence to wear them down.

Not sure who is at fault. Coach? Players? Maybe we are in the stay healthy for the the playoffs.

There didn't seem to be any game plan to actually get any shots off on our power play either. we had some real slick passing going on all around the outer perimeter, but none of it ever led to a shot, there was never even anybody set up for a shot or looking to shoot. This really baffled me against one of the poorer penalty killing teams in the league.

The Blues seemed to be "coasting" in a game in which they should have been taking advantage of a tired team. They put onn some pressure, but didn't seem to use much energy. If the came out hitting, they could have dominated the play. I don't mean just looking to hit opponents. I mean doing it in the course of going after the puck - mainly in taking their man out of the play on defence, so a teammate can win the race to the puck, and dislodging the puck on the forecheck so the hitther, or a linemate, can pick it up and start an offensive play. When, under Hitchcock, have The Blues been playing hot, going into the playoffs? I am extremely worried about their recent play, and hope they can get things turned around quickly. Neither of their goalies is capable of carrying this team to a series victory over ANY of The West's playoff candidates. The team defence (including PK) will need to be playing well, and the team offence (forwards, defencemen and PP) will need to be playing consistently as well as they were during their early hot streaks. A LOT will need to go right, compared to how all facets of team play have been over the last 10 games. Things don't look good at all right now. I'm skeptical that they can just start fresh, and "turn on " good play when the playoffs start.

I'm wondering if I've been seeing more capability in this team than they really have.

Qapod The Mortician wrote:
foofighter wrote:I'm disappointed. There didn't seem to be any game plan for dealing with a team coming off a back to back. We just had 4 days off. There should have been a physical presence to wear them down.

There didn't seem to be any game plan to actually get any shots off on our power play either. we had some real slick passing going on all around the outer perimeter, but none of it ever led to a shot, there was never even anybody set up for a shot or looking to shoot. This really baffled me against one of the poorer penalty killing teams in the league.
That too. ugh

ratonmono wrote:I'm more than a bit concerned about Elliott right now. He's been trending in the wrong direction for a bit now. The Blues certainly didn't have their best effort tonight but they absolutely could have won if Elliott had stopped one of the first two goals both of which he really needs to have. Really wish we could see Allen get a shot at the job and it's not just about losing one game but just watching Elliott he has zero confidence right now and that isn't good going into the playoffs.
I agree with you Rantomono about Elliott tending in wrong direction lately I didn't like 1st goal,even though a good shot ,he didn't get his pad all the way down and just don't look like he is at top of his game right now going in playoffs.Plus when Steen got Hurt,it reminded a little, of the end of last year and I said to myself ,oh NO not this chit again with injuries at the end of the year again. :(

I'm not upset with it. We need just 1 point to clinch a playoff spot. They need to coast the rest of the way. Thats where they screwed up the last few seasons. Save it for the playoffs. Besides with Minnesota kicking chicago to a wild card spot last night, we are i a better position staying in 2nd.

Mph6689 wrote:I am not that disappointed with this game.
The two d-men that returned to the lineup, each mad a mistake that helped lead to a goal. Not that surprising.

I thought the Blues had a ton of pressure, and little pressure against.

I expected a better game from Elliott tonight. The first goal was stoppable. None of the goals were awful, but he really only needed to make a few key saves tonight.

Thought the team played hard actually, was surprised to see posts stating lack of effort.

I like Ott. Ott and Reaves with Backes???? Seriously awful decision.....imo.
The decision to play Backes some with Reaves and Ott was made out of necessity since Steen left the game and Oshie was out anyways. I thought they would be a little more dynamic though.

When Berglund is the best player on the ice in the game you know it's not the Blue's best game.

Like some others have said Elliott should have been sharper. If he was, there might have been a different outcome in the game.

First period scoring woes are a serious issue by now.

My biggest concern is how poorly the defense and forwards are working as a unit in defending their end of the ice. All three goals scored last night (excluding the ENG) were a direct result of the forwards not getting back to defend in time or chasing the puck instead of defending their position and staying with their man.