Re: Federko

Also Thanks for posting.I love to watch the Blues line of Ferderko centering Joey Mullen and Brian Sutter.Ferderko was a great passer and playmaker.I know Wayne Gretzky use to go behind the net (they called his office) and set up goals and was consider the Best at doing that but Bernie was pretty good at it also.I remember Bernie saying he practice a lot of him passing the puck over a stick and he wanted it to lay perfectly flat on the ice so a player had no problem shooting it.Bernie wasn,t very fast but he more and made it up with his playmaking skills and his vision and passing on the ice.Paul Stastny reminds me a little of Bernie Ferderko.

Great memory, oldbattler. I idolized those guys when I was a kid. Never got sick of hearing stories about how Joey grew up in Hells Kitchen learning to play hockey on roller skates. Don't know how much of that story was true, but it intrigued me. As a result, I would round up the neighborhood crew and we'd play hours of roller hockey on the street in front of my house back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Federko had as nice a set of hands and great ice vision as I have ever seen from any player. I loved watching him pass the puck.I think he is truly still heartbroken for himself, his teammates and the city of St. Louis that they let it slip away in '81, that team was probably our best chance ever to win it all.

1980-81 Blues v Rangers Qtr Final

I agree. That team was loaded with established and up and coming talent across the board.

It would have been a huge accomplishment to win the Cup, considering the team we would have had to beat in the Finals. The Islanders were in year 2 of their dynasty run to 4 straight Cups.

The Blues overlooked a Rangers team that finished 30-36-14 in the regular season, in my opinion and beat us 4-2.

I was a hugely disappointed 11 yr old.

StL Dan wrote:Great memory, oldbattler. I idolized those guys when I was a kid. Never got sick of hearing stories about how Joey grew up in Hells Kitchen learning to play hockey on roller skates. Don't know how much of that story was true, but it intrigued me. As a result, I would round up the neighborhood crew and we'd play hours of roller hockey on the street in front of my house back in the late 70's and early 80's.

STL Dan,VeryGood Memory also..I remember that story well about Joey Mullen playing roller Hockey on Quad Roller Skates in Hells Kitchen also.I play Roller Hockey for some 40 years started out on Quads then play for years on inline skates.I gave it about 5 years ago.I still miss it.Thats why I like watching Joey Mullen thew out his whole career and now Pat Maroon.I was wondering if anyone remember in Monday Night miracle game if I remember right(I could be wrong) ,that Joey Mullen while on the Flames then and I think he was playing with a full cage on because of a injury.He rang a shot off the Goal post or cross bar in Overtime before the Blues won in on the Wickenheiser Goal from Ferderko pass.

Slightly amusing Bernie Federko story -
Way back in 1984 or maybe '85, I went to Grandpa Pidgeons out in Ballwin with my then girlfriend. As we are walking in, we see Bernie and his wife also walking in to the store (keep in mind that Bernie maxed out at something like $400k per year as a player, and he was maybe making half of that at the time......different era). Anyway, I said hi to him and had a friendly chat, and he and his wife were incredibly nice. After we get back in the car, she said "that was a hockey player, right?". Why yes dear, it was. Do you know who that was, I ask, finding it hard to believe someone in St. Louis didn't know who Bernie Federko was. She looks at me and said "Bernie Scrum?". I laughed my ass off, having no clue how she came up with Scrum.......but he has been known as Bernie Scrum ever since, as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately, I taught that woman some hockey, took her to the Monday Night Miracle, and eventually married her. She no longer finds this story funny, and she really doesn't like going to games anymore......so I'm pretty sure I'm going to eventually have her whacked for the insurance money, which will allow me to upgrade my season tickets.

"Long live Bernie Scrum!"

I agree with all of you (boring I know). I used to bristle when I heard announcers mention a player setting up in Gretzky's office (behind the net). Bernie was doing that in the NHL before The Great One did, and before teams knew how to defend against it. I know Brian Sutter benefited with a lot of goals from that play.

I also thought the 80-81 team was as close to a Cup contender as any team we've had. I had to look it up to make sure, they had 10 players with 20+ goals. Pretty dynamic offensively for sure.
Last edited by blueslifer on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldbattler wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Great memory, oldbattler. I idolized those guys when I was a kid. Never got sick of hearing stories about how Joey grew up in Hells Kitchen learning to play hockey on roller skates. Don't know how much of that story was true, but it intrigued me. As a result, I would round up the neighborhood crew and we'd play hours of roller hockey on the street in front of my house back in the late 70's and early 80's.

STL Dan,VeryGood Memory also..I remember that story well about Joey Mullen playing roller Hockey on Quad Roller Skates in Hells Kitchen also.I play Roller Hockey for some 40 years started out on Quads then play for years on inline skates.I gave it about 5 years ago.I still miss it.Thats why I like watching Joey Mullen thew out his whole career and now Pat Maroon.I was wondering if anyone remember in Monday Night miracle game if I remember right(I could be wrong) ,that Joey Mullen while on the Flames then and I think he was playing with a full cage on because of a injury.He rang a shot off the Goal post or cross bar in Overtime before the Blues won in on the Wickenheiser Goal from Ferderko pass.
oldbattler, Mullen was definitely wearing a full transparent cage. You can see it in this vid where he assisted on Dan Quinn's goal that put theFlames up 1-0 in the 2nd period.

Best highlights of the Monday Night Miracle on the web:

[youtube][/youtube]

I went an google and You Tube it on the Joey Mullen shot off the cross part in the Monday Night miracle Game.He hit the Cross Bar at 10.52 mark on the You Tube Video in overtime.But I was wrong he was wearing a Half shield and also Bernie pass to Mark Hunter and he shot the puck but the rebound came out to Doug Wichenheiser and he score the Game winning goal on Mark Hunter rebound.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StL Dan wrote:
oldbattler wrote:

oldbattler, Mullen was definitely wearing a full transparent cage. You can see it in this vid where he assisted on Dan Quinn's goal that put theFlames up 1-0 in the 2nd period.

Best highlights of the Monday Night Miracle on the web:

[youtube][/youtube]
Yep your right .I went back and google it.But I was right about Joey Mullen hitting the Crossbar in OT at the 10.52 of the you tube Video Mark.I am getten old, my Memory still pretty good but starting to slip a little.The Bud light beer ,has kill some of my Brain Cells over the years.But it was good brain cell killing, when it went down. :)

It's all good, oldbattler. I have to go back and watch these videos periodically to make sure my memories are intact, as well. I was only 16 when that game was played. My memory is failing, too. SO thankful for YouTube and people that upload this stuff. I still get chills up and down my spine watching this game. My hopes were so high. It would have given me a major lift after the Cards laid that egg the previous October against the Royals. 85, 86 and 87 were emotionally heartbreaking years for StL sports fans like me.

Names like Wickenheiser, Paslawski, Gilmour, Nattress, Federko and Sutter, among others, were so much fun to watch play. I really thought we were bound for the finals after winning that game. No way was Calgary going to win Gm 7.....sigh.

Matangama wrote:Slightly amusing Bernie Federko story -
Way back in 1984 or maybe '85, I went to Grandpa Pidgeons out in Ballwin with my then girlfriend. As we are walking in, we see Bernie and his wife also walking in to the store (keep in mind that Bernie maxed out at something like $400k per year as a player, and he was maybe making half of that at the time......different era). Anyway, I said hi to him and had a friendly chat, and he and his wife were incredibly nice. After we get back in the car, she said "that was a hockey player, right?". Why yes dear, it was. Do you know who that was, I ask, finding it hard to believe someone in St. Louis didn't know who Bernie Federko was. She looks at me and said "Bernie Scrum?". I laughed my ass off, having no clue how she came up with Scrum.......but he has been known as Bernie Scrum ever since, as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately, I taught that woman some hockey, took her to the Monday Night Miracle, and eventually married her. She no longer finds this story funny, and she really doesn't like going to games anymore......so I'm pretty sure I'm going to eventually have her whacked for the insurance money, which will allow me to upgrade my season tickets.

LOL.... Good stuff. :) :)

Matangama wrote:Slightly amusing Bernie Federko story -

As Barnburner said..Good stuff their Mantangama!

Russd14 wrote:Who is the color commentator with Dan Kelly on that fun video of the Calgary game?
Per wikipedia, Dan Kelly was doing the Canadian national TV broadcast. Not sure who his partner was that night.

Thanks for the great tip, Stl Dan. Learning this was Hockey Night in Canada, I confirmed that my guess of Mickey Redmond appears to be correct. (Wikipedia had a nice list of possibilities, including Don Cherry). Thanks again