Re: 1st Period Scoring Woes

With every point being so critical for so many teams at this time of year, the focus is on not falling behind. The second period, with the longer line change, tends to create more scoring chances
I have no stats to support it, but my guess is that first period scoring problems are shared by a lot of teams in the playoff race.

In short, yeah, just win.

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:This probably bothers me more than it should, I mean as long as we're winning who cares, right?
What should trouble us is the total number of goals scored.

You can get lucky in poker and draw to an inside straight. But, you shouldn't count on it. The odds are against you.

You can win games scoring two goals per game. But, you shouldn't count on it. The odds are against you.

That's definitely a loser strategy in the playoffs, at least last year and the year before (all teams, all games).

http://hockeysimplified.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paraphrasing, if you're going to score a lot, it helps to start early.

WebSant wrote:
SickMittsRomKnee wrote:This probably bothers me more than it should, I mean as long as we're winning who cares, right?

You can get lucky in poker and draw to an inside straight. But, you shouldn't count on it. The odds are against you.

You can win games scoring two goals per game. But, you shouldn't count on it. The odds are against you.

That's definitely a loser strategy in the playoffs, at least last year and the year before (all teams, all games).

http://hockeysimplified.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a fan of advanced stats, and appreciate guys like you with the mind (and time) to do it, but I can't access your site from my work computer because it contains the word "blog" in the URL. Can you please post screen grabs of what you're referring to in your posts? I'd appreciate it!

WebSant wrote:

Thank you and yes.

I like their play right now but it looks like they are building for the second period rather than attacking the other team from the start. Do you think they will change it up at all going into the PO?