Final schedules

It's looking like a race for 1st in the central. Not paramount to get first, but it would be nice for that potential 2nd round matchup to have home ice advantage.

Blues remaining schedule
@PIT
CLB
VAN
CAL
@DAL
@CHI
WIN
CHI
MIN

Chicago remaining schedule
@CAR
@PHI
CLB
@WIN
LAK
VAN
@BUF
STL
MIN
@STL
@COL

Re: Final schedules

I believe that we basically need to do two things between now and the end of the regular season.

1. Beat the Hawks once in regulation, preferably in Chicago, if for no other reason than to prove that we can.

2. Keep the Preds in our rear view mirror. If we do this, we cannot face the Hawks in Round 1 unless they slip to a wildcard spot.

IMHO, we have the toughest of the 3 schedules. I will not be surprised to see us drop to 3rd in the Central. It's going to be a tight finish. As it stands, 5 of 7 Central teams in the playoffs. That's pretty impressive. Regardless of where we finish, it's going to be a battle

I can easily see us entering the playoffs on a 4 game skid and Nashville turning things around with a 4 or 5 game win streak.

If i make a prediction...Chicago sneaks into the #1 spot in the Central.

There will be 8 teams in the playoffs in the WC, including the Blues. Of those other 7 teams, the only teams I feel can beat us even when we get our best effort every game over a 7 game series are Chicago (because of the 18 skaters) and LA (because of Quick). If we play our best, those teams will have to play their best hockey as well to come out on top. Any other WC opponent (including Anaheim) I feel has no chance against the Blues in a 7 game series if the Blues come out playing a complete game every night.

MissouriMook wrote:There will be 8 teams in the playoffs in the WC, including the Blues. Of those other 7 teams, the only teams I feel can beat us even when we get our best effort every game over a 7 game series are Chicago (because of the 18 skaters) and LA (because of Quick). If we play our best, those teams will have to play their best hockey as well to come out on top. Any other WC opponent (including Anaheim) I feel has no chance against the Blues in a 7 game series if the Blues come out playing a complete game every night.
I agree to a certain extent. I think we can take both the Kings and The Hawks this year as well....assuming...we play to our potential. ha

rudy4u51 wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:There will be 8 teams in the playoffs in the WC, including the Blues. Of those other 7 teams, the only teams I feel can beat us even when we get our best effort every game over a 7 game series are Chicago (because of the 18 skaters) and LA (because of Quick). If we play our best, those teams will have to play their best hockey as well to come out on top. Any other WC opponent (including Anaheim) I feel has no chance against the Blues in a 7 game series if the Blues come out playing a complete game every night.
I agree to a certain extent. I think we can take both the Kings and The Hawks this year as well....assuming...we play to our potential. ha
I would like to believe that, but if either hits their top playoff gear (combined with their experience) they will be a ridiculously tough out.

MissouriMook wrote:
rudy4u51 wrote:
I would like to believe that, but if either hits their top playoff gear (combined with their experience) they will be a ridiculously tough out.
I concur. It won't be easy but if we are clicking on all cylinders it should be very satisfying to watch beating those two teams. :-) I would like that so very much.

MissouriMook wrote:I believe that we basically need to do two things between now and the end of the regular season.

1. Beat the Hawks once in regulation, preferably in Chicago, if for no other reason than to prove that we can.

2. Keep the Preds in our rear view mirror. If we do this, we cannot face the Hawks in Round 1 unless they slip to a wildcard spot.
I believe this is critical and something I've been waiting for all season. Chicago, Anaheim, LA, whoever. Beat a top team in the West on their ice (and yes, if LA gets in I believe they're going to be the LA we know). Lord knows they can do it here.

Results, so far:

BLUES
@PIT W 3-2 OT, ex-Penguins Marcel Goc and Robert Bortuzzo respond to two 2nd period Pens goals as the Blues go on to score three unanswered goals. Steen with the OT winner. Jake Allen stopped 24 shots.
Next: CLB, Sat, Mar 28
VAN
CAL
@DAL
@CHI
WIN
CHI
MIN

Chicago
@CAR W 3-1, Andrew Shaw scores the Hawks' 1st and 3rd (EN) goals. Crawford stops 42 shots
Next: @PHI, Wed, Mar 26
CLB
@WIN
LAK
VAN
@BUF
STL
MIN
@STL
@COL

Nashville
MON W 3-2 OT, Forsberg scores GW, Rinne stops 26 shots
Next: @TBL - Thu, Mar 27
@WAS
CAL
VAN
DAL
@COL
MIN
@DAL

I'm beginning to think the Jets might be the odd team out. A week ago I thought there was no way Calgary could get a wild card spot. Now I see the Jets as being vulnerable - their next four are at home...against MON, CHI, NYR and VAN. Then they go to MIN and STL for back-to-backs before finishing the season at COL and at home against CGY. That is a gauntlet.

MissouriMook wrote:I'm beginning to think the Jets might be the odd team out. A week ago I thought there was no way Calgary could get a wild card spot. Now I see the Jets as being vulnerable - their next four are at home...against MON, CHI, NYR and VAN. Then they go to MIN and STL for back-to-backs before finishing the season at COL and at home against CGY. That is a gauntlet.
MissouriMook.i thinking the same thing.The Jets may not make it with a very tough upcoming schedule.Plus I thought when the Flames Mark Giordono got hurt the Flames would would be done.But they have still been winning.One thing they do is work really hard and they been pretty good team coming back for wins in the 3rd period.this year.I like this time of year,especially the stretch run of who gets in the playoffs and where teams finish and who we and other teams play 1st round of the playoffs.

MissouriMook wrote:I'm beginning to think the Jets might be the odd team out. A week ago I thought there was no way Calgary could get a wild card spot. Now I see the Jets as being vulnerable - their next four are at home...against MON, CHI, NYR and VAN. Then they go to MIN and STL for back-to-backs before finishing the season at COL and at home against CGY. That is a gauntlet.
On the flip side though, if they survive that and still make the playoffs they are going to be full of confidence when round 1 starts. Depending on how the matchups are, I wouldn't bet against the Jets.

Only first round match up that worries me is Chicago or maybe LA. Blues beat the Wild, Jets, and Calgary. It might be a tough round but it usually is.

I can't say how well the Blues would play vs LA. On one hand they have two Cups and the Blues number. On the other hand they've looked terrible for stretches and still haven't secured a playoff spot yet.

If the Blues make it out of the first round and have to face Chicago in the second round, I'd give them a 50/50 shot. If they beat Chicago, start prepping Market St for a parade.

All that said, it would be in their best interest to win first in the division and play the Wild or one of the Canadian teams in the first round.

BLUES

@PIT W 3-2 OT, ex-Penguins Marcel Goc and Robert Bortuzzo respond to two 2nd period Pens goals as the Blues go on to score three unanswered goals. Steen with the OT winner. Jake Allen stopped 24 shots.

Next: CLB, Sat, Mar 28
VAN
CAL
@DAL
@CHI
WIN
CHI
MIN

Chicago
@CAR W 3-1, Andrew Shaw scores the Hawks' 1st and 3rd (EN) goals. Crawford stops 42 shots

@PHI L 1-4. Steve Mason saved 34 shots. Simmonds, Giroux and Raffl score. Hawks finish 4 game road trip 2-2, scoring a total of 5 goals (3 against Carolina).

Next: CLB - Fri, Mar 27
@WIN
LAK
VAN
@BUF
STL
MIN
@STL
@COL

Nashville

MON W 3-2 OT, Forsberg scores GW, Rinne stops 26 shots

Next: @TBL - Thu, Mar 27
@WAS
CAL
VAN
DAL
@COL
MIN
@DAL

Tonight, nas won......so did winnipeg, LA, anaheim. Not the best results. I would love to see columbus win tomorrow vs chicago, but already feel like we got a real bonus with the philly loss.
Bottom line, if we want home ice, it is ours to take. We play chicago and can control that aspect entirely.

Fun time of the year.

Well, I am quickly learning to avoid thinking about matchups so early in the season.

Every week the "likely" 1st round opponent changes. Still, very fun to watch and track, and try to Guess who will be placed where. But I don't think I'll ever be placing bets :D

Currently, I fear Minnesota a lot. They have a fast team that plays similar to Dallas, which we also struggle against.

Minnesota has a lot to say about the central.....they play us, chi, and nasville to close out the season. Good scheduling by the nhl really.

At this point, I'd be happy with 2nd in the division. Just want to get the playoffs started already.

Mph6689 wrote:Minnesota has a lot to say about the central.....they play us, chi, and nasville to close out the season. Good scheduling by the nhl really.

At this point, I'd be happy with 2nd in the division. Just want to get the playoffs started already.
I agree and while we are at it they also play Winnipeg.