Re: GDT: Blues vs Wild -7:00 3:16

BluesSK wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:35 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:14 pm He's certainly got his flaws but in a way he's already lived up to his talent in that he was a 2nd round pick. Agree with Bill, we need more talent surrounding him. Teams are so easy to just key in on him and Thomas with our lack of secondary scoring.
He's paid over $8M a year. It's up to him to make his teammates better. Not for them to make him look good.

And you can blame that on Armstrong if you want but you don't pay a guy that kind of money to be the supporting cast.
Exactly. Armstrong put those expectations/that target on him, not me. And from what I’ve seen of him, he’s done nothing to improve his game since, especially away from the puck. He plays a 75’ game whenever he feels like playing. I have no idea why they decided to make him the face of the franchise, along with Thomas, but if today’s player was a new kid coming up, he’d probably be on the 3rd line on a reasonably good team.

Now, if Army paid him that knowing there would be some “gap years” between being a #1 team and the younger kids - the actual future of this franchise - and felt like he needed to pay a couple guys that were here big so they would stay, keeping us competitive during that bridge, that’s certainly a strategy. A very expensive one, especially when your ultimate intent is to trade that player. Of course, pumping up someone’s value only increases what you potentially get back in a trade, so again, that’s a strategy I guess. Pretty big gamble. If I did that and saw JK playing the way he plays at times, I’d be in the locker room fucking raging every night, at least at the coaches.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:14 pm
BillP wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:33 pm

He’ll amp it up once the kids start coming aboard. Better days ahead for the whole team.
He's certainly got his flaws but in a way he's already lived up to his talent in that he was a 2nd round pick. Agree with Bill, we need more talent surrounding him. Teams are so easy to just key in on him and Thomas with our lack of secondary scoring.
He's paid over $8M a year. It's up to him to make his teammates better. Not for them to make him look good.

And you can blame that on Armstrong if you want but you don't pay a guy that kind of money to be the supporting cast.
He's not McDavid, Draisatl, Matthews, Marner, Mackinnon etc...and he's not paid to be them. He's the 57 highest paid player in hockey. He's not a guy you can just throw Zach Hyman on his line and he's going to turn him into a 50 goal scorer.

Like I said, he needs to be better and far more consistent, but I also think we as fans have to have a bit more realistic expectations for him. He's not a franchise player, he's not paid as one. Army needs to upgrade the talent around him and Thomas because this can't be a two man team. Hopefully the kids develop into those pieces.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:14 pm

He's certainly got his flaws but in a way he's already lived up to his talent in that he was a 2nd round pick. Agree with Bill, we need more talent surrounding him. Teams are so easy to just key in on him and Thomas with our lack of secondary scoring.

He's not McDavid, Draisatl, Matthews, Marner, Mackinnon etc...and he's not paid to be them. He's the 57 highest paid player in hockey. He's not a guy you can just throw Zach Hyman on his line and he's going to turn him into a 50 goal scorer.

Like I said, he needs to be better and far more consistent, but I also think we as fans have to have a bit more realistic expectations for him. He's not a franchise player, he's not paid as one. Army needs to upgrade the talent around him and Thomas because this can't be a two man team. Hopefully the kids develop into those pieces.
Kyrou is currently the 57th highest paid player and it's highly likely that that position will drop in the coming years (players are getting paid more, not less).

In terms of points per game, over the last three seasons (including this one, at least 80 total games played), he's the 61st highest scoring player (0.90 points per game). And he's having a relatively 'off' year this year after putting up 0.97 points per game over the previous two seasons.

He's 25, just entering his prime, putting a lot of things together, and still has more upside (IMHO). I think his scoring and overall play will improve, while his salary will look more and more reasonable.

Are there players that make less that I'd rather have? Sure (Jack Hughes, Nick Suzuki, etc)

Are there players who make more that I'm glad we don't have? Sure (Patrik Laine, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Jonathan “You're killing my fantasy team” Fricken Huberdeau, etc).

I agree he can, and should, improve, but I'm fairly confident he will, and he'll do it wearing the Bluenote.

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 am

Kyrou is currently the 57th highest paid player and it's highly likely that that position will drop in the coming years (players are getting paid more, not less).

In terms of points per game, over the last three seasons (including this one, at least 80 total games played), he's the 61st highest scoring player (0.90 points per game). And he's having a relatively 'off' year this year after putting up 0.97 points per game over the previous two seasons.

He's 25, just entering his prime, putting a lot of things together, and still has more upside (IMHO). I think his scoring and overall play will improve, while his salary will look more and more reasonable.

Are there players that make less that I'd rather have? Sure (Jack Hughes, Nick Suzuki, etc)

Are there players who make more that I'm glad we don't have? Sure (Patrik Laine, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Jonathan “You're killing my fantasy team” Fricken Huberdeau, etc).

I agree he can, and should, improve, but I'm fairly confident he will, and he'll do it wearing the Bluenote.
This was really well said and researched. People treat him like he was a number 1 overall pick or was traded for Pronger. We all agree he's far from a perfect player but the idea that him making 8 million a year means he's supposed to be a perfect player is so misguided. Ideal he's a VERY good second line RW on a contender.
Just a Russian propaganda account