2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

We've reached deadline week, and it feels like the Blues will be one of the more active teams again. The deadline is Friday at 2 pm Central. No big moves league wide, but a few of the names that may or may not be on the move besides our friends wearing a Blue Note:

-Calgary D, Noah Hanifin
-Pittsburgh W, Jake Guentzel
-Calgary G Jacob Markstrom
-Philly D, Sean Walker
-Pittsburgy W, Reilly Smith

Obviously lots more out there, but those are some of the bigger names. The lack of massive star power is part of why I think Buchnevich gets moved, he's among the most valuable players out there given his play and contract status. Hanifin will get a lot, but he's a pending UFA.

Could be a fun deadline, let's post confirmed trades, rumors and wild-ass speculation here.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

4. Pavel Buchnevich
LW, St. Louis Blues

One of the few point-per-game players who could shake free at the trade deadline, Buchnevich is everything a contending team needs: He scores goals, drives play and doesn't shrink in the defensive zone, either. He's an elite talent and a potential game-changer on the wing ... which means he's not going to be acquired cheaply at the deadline, if Blues GM Doug Armstrong decides to trade him at all.

That might be dictated by whether Buchnevich wants to stay beyond next season. Or it might be dictated by someone offering the moon for him, as the Blues reportedly are using the return Calgary got for Elias Lindholm as their baseline.

22. Kevin Hayes
C, St. Louis Blues

The Flyers retained 50% of Hayes' salary to ship him out of Philly to St. Louis last offseason. The Blues liked him as a veteran in the middle who could keep them competitive, stabilizing the position a bit. He has 22 points in 57 games but hasn't had the strongest defensive season analytically -- a trend that's gone on for the past handful of seasons. At his age and with his contract, it's hard to imagine him as part of their plans going forward.

If the Blues were willing to retain another chunk of his contract in dealing him, they might earn a nice package back from a contender that needs a No. 2 or No. 3 center and believes Hayes can fit the suit.

45. Kasperi Kapanen
RW, St. Louis Blues

Ideally, the Blues would have loved to turn a waiver claim like Kapanen into something palpable at the trade deadline. But given his AAV and lack of production since coming to the Blues -- 12 goals in 73 games, including four in 50 games this season -- they'd be hard-pressed to get much for him.

St. Louis Blues
Deadline status: They'll eventually have to make an ultimate decision

Cap space: $2,217,083

Players, picks in play: F Pavel Buchnevich, F Kevin Hayes, F Kasperi Kapanen

What they should do: The Blues are also part of that group of teams that must decide between going after a wild-card spot or moving on from players to attain draft capital. As of Feb. 28, they were six points behind the Predators but have played two fewer games.

Keeping pace with the Predators is just one part of the equation. Another is that Blues GM Doug Armstrong must consider how players like Buchnevich, Hayes and Kapanen fit into the future plans. Buchnevich has one year left on a four-year contract that sees him earn $5.8 million annually. He's averaged 0.99 points per game in his three seasons with the Blues. Keeping him would allow the Blues to retain one of their most consistent performers for another season, with the idea they'd eventually have to make a decision about his future. Moving on from him during this deadline, however, could provide them with the opportunity for a sizable return given who else is available.

Hayes and Kapanen also present interesting cases. The Blues traded a sixth-round pick for Hayes less than a year ago, and could get more than that because his reduced rate $3.571 million annual salary for the next two seasons provides top-nine help at a manageable number. Kapanen, who they acquired on waivers last season, is a pending UFA that could offer another team depth -- and give the Blues a chance to add more draft capital.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/ ... acts-picks
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 am Who the fuck would want Kevin Hayes? Army didn't do his homework on that one.
There's a lot of bad GMs in this league feeling pressure. A GM that thinks, if I don't have success this year I'm gone anyway doesn't care what happens done the line, they want to win now. Hayes is serviceable if a team is paying him the same as the Blues are paying MacMac

I can't even wrap my head around what a Kyrou trade would involve.

Friedman 32 thoughts:

14. St. Louis Blues: Honestly, there may be no more Jekyll-and-Hyde team than St. Louis. There are games where they look dangerous, and other games where they look awful. The Blues have tested the market on several players during the season, that’s not new. But they’ve set a high bar on the one who interests most — Pavel Buchnevich. Apparently, GM Doug Armstrong says something along the lines of, “You can ask, but you’re not going to like the price.” This is his biggest decision. Could see teams like Edmonton and Vegas asking, but there are no doubt more.

There’s like for Brandon Saad, but if there’s any question, it’s the second full season remaining on his contract. If there was only one more year, the odds would be much higher. I like Oskar Sundqvist as a depth piece for teams that need it. The Blues would like to remove one of the salaries from their defence, and there’s been almost nonstop noise around Jordan Kyrou. Scott Perunovich needs to play 13 more games or he will be an unrestricted free agent. Talented, young player who’s been hurt.

From LeBrun:

Here’s what I’m hearing.

Pavel Buchnevich, St. Louis Blues
This feels like a situation where Blues general manager Doug Armstrong doesn’t need to move off a high price, and if no one offers one, he can decide whether he wants to revisit it this summer. But I don’t think Armstrong thinks he needs to reduce the price one bit this week for a very productive player who he’s just as happy to keep.

That said, the fishing line and hook are definitely in the water. Colleague Chris Johnston has reported the cost is at least what the Calgary Flames got in dealing Elias Lindholm to the Vancouver Canucks, which was a package of a first-round pick, two prospects and an NHL player.

Buchnevich is signed through next season at a $5.8 million average annual value. The Blues would probably need to retain, and I think they are willing to do so. I just don’t know why contending teams like the Edmonton Oilers or Vegas Golden Knights that are seeking a top-six forward will need to pay this kind of price when they can get rentals for less. The sense I have as of now is teams view the price as too rich.

https://theathletic.com/5315758/2024/03 ... ed_article

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:07 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 am Who the fuck would want Kevin Hayes? Army didn't do his homework on that one.
Army has always loved size down the middle. Say what you will about Kevin Hayes, but he is indeed tall.
Every GM wants size down the middle and he is not bad on face-offs. If there is a team that has a banged up center he would probably be a good stop gap for them.

Not many people talking about some of our defence that might be available. Leddy has kind of had a bounce back year while playing on the top pairing and Scandella definitely has.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:47 pm Seller’s market. Great news for the Blues

Hopefully Vegas still wants Buch. Even if he doesn't go there I'd like as many buyers as possible to drive up the price.
They still have the cap space for him. I don’t LOVE their prospects and think there’s better matches for the Blues though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:36 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:47 pm Seller’s market. Great news for the Blues

Hopefully Vegas still wants Buch. Even if he doesn't go there I'd like as many buyers as possible to drive up the price.
They still have the cap space for him. I don’t LOVE their prospects and think there’s better matches for the Blues though.
Yes. Fuck Vegas and their empty cupboards.