Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:33 pm Buch for $2.9M for 2 years is an insane value. It also would mean that almost any team could fit him in under the cap with a little salary coming back to STL.
He's still got Perunovich on his list, too.
23. Scott Perunovich
Left Defense, St. Louis Blues
Stats: 36 GP, 0 G, 13 A, 13 Pts
Contract: Pending Group VI UFA, $775,000 AAV
Scoop: GM Doug Armstrong had a line about Perunovich a couple years ago that I can’t get out of my head: “You can’t make the club from the tub.” It’s been an absolutely brutal stretch of injuries over the last few years for Perunovich, the 2020 Hobey Baker Award winner as the top player in college hockey. He is extremely talented, which is obvious for any undersized player, but he’s struggled to stay on the ice. Is Perunovich interested in a change of scenery? He is a pending Group VI UFA, meaning that he’s on track to hit free agency since he would have to play 26 more NHL games this season for the Blues to retain his rights, and St. Louis only has 20 games remaining on their schedule. Perunovich would be a great fit for a non-playoff team with opportunity.

How many times a week do you watch the highlights and there's an x blue contributing to a team. It's getting oold sitting by and wishing we still had that guy or this guy. All because of salary cap. I feel like we draft players bring em up right make them eat all their veggies then when they get useful for the whole Stanley cup thing ,fuck it can't keep them. This whole dynamic isn't working.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:14 pm How many times a week do you watch the highlights and there's an x blue contributing to a team. It's getting oold sitting by and wishing we still had that guy or this guy. All because of salary cap. I feel like we draft players bring em up right make them eat all their veggies then when they get useful for the whole Stanley cup thing ,fuck it can't keep them. This whole dynamic isn't working.
Well, we got Buchnevich largely because he was a cap-casualty in New York, so it works both ways, too.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:01 pm Buch gives you the added dimension of defending and killing penalties that you won’t get from any of the prospects… not right away, anyway. If he wants to stay, I’m all for keeping him… but he’s gonna want to get paid Thomas / Kyrou $$$ … and that’s why I’d rather move on from Kyrou… I doubt that Kyrou ever reaches his full potential with the Blues…. If he had 1/2 of a give-a-shit, he’d be rocking 70 points at this point of the season, given who he’s playing with. He plays like he’s made out of glass. He should have been a baseball player.
Yes to all of this. if the choice is Kyrou or Buch, see ya Jordan. Though I’d also say that if the choice were Kyrou or a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
RAFritchey wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:07 pm Buchnevich will be 30 at the end of his current contract (2025), and will likely (and rightfully) be looking for something along the lines of 6-8 years at around $9 mil AAV by then. The first couple of seasons would certainly be worth it, but after the first few years we'd be talking about him the way we're currently talking about Brayden Schenn, I'd LOVE for him to be here for another 4-5 years, through our 'retool' and then help lead us to another Cup victory, but the timing is just not right.

If we keep him to try to make playoff runs this year and next, many fans will be HOWLING that we let him 'walk for nothing' in 2025, instead of dealing him now when his 'value was highest.'
Absolutely valid points, too. I’m definitely that guy in the last sentence in some cases. This doesn’t feel like that now, but you may be right. Although, we did just see Tarasenko fetch two picks, so that shit happens to the best of them, too.