Re: GDT: Blues at Edmonton - 2/28 7:30 - TV: TNT

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:22 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:34 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 am

That's the point. Those are comments from Blues fans in his twitter mentions. He's highlighting the obvious contradiction.
Then he made his point ineffectively for a professional writer but so be it. I took My Mentions as his thoughts and not him rehashing his comment section but can see how it could mean either or.
DeFranks is the best beat writer in the last 20 years and it's not close. Hope he sticks around for a long time.
I agree with this. JT was a very good writer and did his best covering the team, but he was a football guy that was forced into the role to stay employed after the NFL left town.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:16 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 am

You come out of the gate with a 2 goal lead, and you lose 3-2 in OT…. That doesn’t exactly smell like roses.
Is JR drunk? Or bi-polar?

"Kyrou made a great defensive play." "Kyrou made a lazy play".

Which one was it?
That's the point. Those are comments from Blues fans in his twitter mentions. He's highlighting the obvious contradiction.
Ooooohhhhhh

I don't have Twitter so i wouldn't have got it. Thanks
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:35 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:22 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:34 am

Then he made his point ineffectively for a professional writer but so be it. I took My Mentions as his thoughts and not him rehashing his comment section but can see how it could mean either or.
DeFranks is the best beat writer in the last 20 years and it's not close. Hope he sticks around for a long time.
I agree with this. JT was a very good writer and did his best covering the team, but he was a football guy that was forced into the role to stay employed after the NFL left town.
Yes. He did a very good job and was honest about what he was. His knowledge base grew over his run but his value was in just being a pro. Binnington's "Do I look nervous" quote was drawn out from a JT question.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:48 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:12 am

Maybe JR needs to realize McDavid is just the best player in the world, it's kind of what he does. But it helps him push the Kyrou/Thomas narrative instead of focusing on how awful most of the other 10 fowards are.

Maybe just because he's liked but I do not know why Brayden Schenn constantly gets ignored. I get that Thomas and Kyrou have the big contracts, but Schenn is costing 6.5 million a year himself and still has 4 years left on it. He's clearly in major decline.
I think the Schenn thing is the real elephant in the room and people just aren't talking about it because they know we're stuck with it and just put up with it.

I think the problem with Kyrou is that his contract is just too high. If he was making six million we wouldn't hear as much griping. But he's making 8 plus and that's not worth it.
You're right about this, but honest to God, I'm so tired of seeing him not give a full effort. As for the OT winner, I assume the Blues players were gassed, but Thomas fucked it harder than Kyrou on that play IMO.

Speaking of which, I'm really not trying to dredge it up again, and my faceless internet opinion of course means fuck nothing. All I watched from last night is the game recap, but I've watched/illegally streamed about half of the games this year in their entirety. I've been trying hard as hell to like the player since 2018. In Kyrou, I see a guy who's not skating as hard as he can to loose pucks at all, with poor defensive awareness (combed over a million times, but it simply hasn't improved), poor body language almost every time something on the ice doesn't go his way, and someone who plays to his full offensive capability almost exclusively when there's an opportunity for an odd man break. If you isolate Kyrou and watch him alone when he's on the ice, it's nauseating thinking he's locked in with this team for as long as he is. To me at least.

You couple that with his comments off the ice showing a lack of accountability, even after his boo-hoo earlier this year when he received criticism, and I don't think I've disliked a Blues forward this much in my life. I don't want to. I want him to put in the effort you'd expect a professional athlete making what he's making in today's NHL to put in. At 25, I think this is just who he is, and it isn't a cornerstone of a contender.
I agree with everything you've said. I think we have a real problem that is gonna infuriate a lot of fans over the next seven seasons if it continues.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 pm Does anyone truly belive we aren't sellers right now,there are very few I wouldn't part with at this point.
If you take all the emotion out of it at this point and look at the numbers you'd have to be a seller.

And it's a shame because prior to this seven out of eight losing skid all we had to do was play just over .500 hockey the rest of the season. Totally doable and they pissed it away.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:31 am

I think the Schenn thing is the real elephant in the room and people just aren't talking about it because they know we're stuck with it and just put up with it.

I think the problem with Kyrou is that his contract is just too high. If he was making six million we wouldn't hear as much griping. But he's making 8 plus and that's not worth it.
You're right about this, but honest to God, I'm so tired of seeing him not give a full effort. As for the OT winner, I assume the Blues players were gassed, but Thomas fucked it harder than Kyrou on that play IMO.

Speaking of which, I'm really not trying to dredge it up again, and my faceless internet opinion of course means fuck nothing. All I watched from last night is the game recap, but I've watched/illegally streamed about half of the games this year in their entirety. I've been trying hard as hell to like the player since 2018. In Kyrou, I see a guy who's not skating as hard as he can to loose pucks at all, with poor defensive awareness (combed over a million times, but it simply hasn't improved), poor body language almost every time something on the ice doesn't go his way, and someone who plays to his full offensive capability almost exclusively when there's an opportunity for an odd man break. If you isolate Kyrou and watch him alone when he's on the ice, it's nauseating thinking he's locked in with this team for as long as he is. To me at least.

You couple that with his comments off the ice showing a lack of accountability, even after his boo-hoo earlier this year when he received criticism, and I don't think I've disliked a Blues forward this much in my life. I don't want to. I want him to put in the effort you'd expect a professional athlete making what he's making in today's NHL to put in. At 25, I think this is just who he is, and it isn't a cornerstone of a contender.
I agree with everything you've said. I think we have a real problem that is gonna infuriate a lot of fans over the next seven seasons if it continues.
He’s a lazy-ass cherry picker.. he does ok when Thomas or Buch are feeding him pucks, but if he were on a 2nd or 3rd line, not so much. I would much rather they keep Buch, and pay him Kyrou $$$ on a 4 or 5 year term, and unload Kyrou.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:57 pm

He’s a lazy-ass cherry picker.. he does ok when Thomas or Buch are feeding him pucks, but if he were on a 2nd or 3rd line, not so much. I would much rather they keep Buch, and pay him Kyrou $$$ on a 4 or 5 year term, and unload Kyrou.
I've been hoping for that myself. Absolutely.

Same for me. I couldn't have stated it better. He clearly doesn't love the game enough, nor care about his teammates enough, or take pride in his work enough to put the work in on his weaknesses in practice and on his own, as well as on the ice in games to be and become the best player he can be. He has some significant natural gifts, and has coasted on them all his hockey-playing life, It worked in his youth hockey and even in Juniors. But it doesn't work as well in The NHL. Too bad they didn't trade him off a year or two ago, before other teams GMs have seen his act enough to know what he is and guess well at what his future will be. I recognised early that he didn't improve on his weaknesses almost at all for year after year, making it obvious that he is not putting much if any work into improving. Nobody wants to play on a team with players who don't care about what happens to their teammates, not putting in an honest effort to help their team win when almost all, or ALL the others, no matter their level of natural abilities, are working hard at it.

Same for me. I couldn't have stated it better. He clearly doesn't love the game enough, nor care about his teammates enough, or take pride in his work enough to put the work in on his weaknesses in practice and on his own, as well as on the ice in games to be and become the best player he can be. He has some significant natural gifts, and has coasted on them all his hockey-playing life, It worked in his youth hockey and even in Juniors. But it doesn't work as well in The NHL. Too bad they didn't trade him off a year or two ago, before other teams GMs have seen his act enough to know what he is and guess well at what his future will be. I recognised early that he didn't improve on his weaknesses almost at all for year after year, making it obvious that he is not putting much if any work into improving. Nobody wants to play on a team with players who don't care about what happens to their teammates, not putting in an honest effort to help their team win when almost all, or ALL the others, no matter their level of natural abilities, are working hard at it.

I think he's just immature and some guys never figure it out. But that contract was a blunder by Armstrong.

If you want a good comparison take a look at the Blues pick just before him in Tage Thompson (who I am not a fan of, btw).

Their career totals are quite close but Kryou has played about forty less games. The big difference is the salary and I think Thompson's salary is even too high at $7.1 over seven years.

We could be quite fucked carrying the Schenn and Kyrou contracts.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:49 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:15 pm Does anyone truly belive we aren't sellers right now,there are very few I wouldn't part with at this point.
If you take all the emotion out of it at this point and look at the numbers you'd have to be a seller.

And it's a shame because prior to this seven out of eight losing skid all we had to do was play just over .500 hockey the rest of the season. Totally doable and they pissed it away.
Their improvement in the standings since the coaching change is entirely due to the PP improving from just about the worst in the league, and outstanding goaltending at 5 on 5. Binnington (and Hofer) have papered over a lot of 5 on 5 deficiencies, and if they slip back to around league average, it'll be ugly. I don't have a suggestion for how you improve this roster specifically, but it has to change before next season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!