GDT: Blues vs. Leafs 6PM CST, Feb 13, 2024

After a roaring start to their campaign after the All-Star break Robert Thomas and the Blues head to Toronto to take on the Leafs.

Here's the protected line-up;
PROJECTED LINEUP
Forwards

Pavel Buchnevich - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou

Jake Neighbours - Brayden Schenn - Kasperi Kapanen

Brandon Saad - Kevin Hayes - Sammy Blais

Alexey Toropchenko - Oskar Sundqvist - Nathan Walker

Defense

Nick Leddy - Colton Parayko

Torey Krug - Matthew Kessel

Marco Scandella - Calle Rosen

Goalie

Jordan Binnington
In today's Know Your Blue segment we meet Joel Hofer party animal.

Re: GDT: Blues vs. Leafs 6PM CST, Feb 13, 2024

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:38 pm
Robb_K wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:32 pm They give up the empty-netter on a bank shot off the wall, for a hat trick for McMahon. It was travelling mighty slowly. Krug could have caught up to it, but it wouldn't have taken the win from The Leafs.
Did somebody cross-check McMahon in the face for that fancy shot?
Maybe they cross-checked him in his back at the letters of his name? I'd swear his name on his back at the start of the game was spelled: McMahon, but near the end of The 3rd Period, it changed to mcMann, when I wasn't looking. :o

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:40 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:37 pm If the Blues can play 0.600 hockey from here on out they are pretty much a lock for a playoff spot.
I think there's still too much that could happen at the trade deadline to be comfortable making any predictions like that yet.
Do you think The Blues main owners would allow Army to do what is better for the team in the long run, by trading off players like Buchnevich, Schenn, Saad, or Faulk (players for whom they could get back draft future assets), while jeopardizing their making the playoffs this season? I think they would rather have Army trade for help to help them MAKE the playoffs THIS season, and not worry about picking 3-6 positions later in each round of the draft, being as the draft is a crapshoot at ALL choice positions. I wouldn't trade off Parayko or Buchnevich. I don't think they'd be able to trade Krug or get anything for Scandella.

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:50 amI hadn’t heard that Reaves quote. The world, and certainly the Blues, needs more guys like Ryan Reaves. (Grammar notwithstanding)
Reaver stole the phrase from a meme that became popular a couple of years ago, when fans began questioning George Parros' lax enforcement decisions as the NHL Player Safety czar. Ryan must be angling for a celebrity promotion deal with some merch company selling hats & t-shirts with the slogan, since he's become completely irrelevant in his hockey career. The meme could be his ticket to the After Life.
OIP.jpeg OIP.jpeg Viewed 2103 times 19.73 KiB

Robb_K wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:09 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:37 pm If the Blues can play 0.600 hockey from here on out they are pretty much a lock for a playoff spot.
I think there's still too much that could happen at the trade deadline to be comfortable making any predictions like that yet.
Do you think The Blues main owners would allow Army to do what is better for the team in the long run, by trading off players like Buchnevich, Schenn, Saad, or Faulk (players for whom they could get back draft future assets), while jeopardizing their making the playoffs this season? I think they would rather have Army trade for help to help them MAKE the playoffs THIS season, and not worry about picking 3-6 positions later in each round of the draft, being as the draft is a crapshoot at ALL choice positions. I wouldn't trade off Parayko or Buchnevich. I don't think they'd be able to trade Krug or get anything for Scandella.
Armstrong's job is to balance the two aspects, current success as well as future prospects.

Making the playoffs is always a positive if only because even a first-round exit makes the franchise significant money, and, IMHO, generates a positive culture in the locker room and among the majority of the fan base i.e. those who aren't like us in anticipating prospects that may not even play in the NHL for several more years, but want to root for the team's performance in the here and now.

We appear to be solidly in a playoff spot right now, and likely will be at least close to one for the rest of the season, barring any severe collapse, so being sellers for future gambles doesn't make sense.

However, we expect to be a stronger team going into the future, so trading future assets to try to make a deeper run this year also doesn't make sense.

Unless it's a 'hockey trade,' that doesn't deplete our prospect/draft pool e.g. perhaps dealing Vrana who likely won't play for us again, or a prospect that doesn't look like he's going to pan out while he still has some value, or something ridiculous (you never know!), I expect the best move is for Armstrong to 'stand pat' at the deadline this year.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:55 pm

Armstrong's job is to balance the two aspects, current success as well as future prospects.

Making the playoffs is always a positive if only because even a first-round exit makes the franchise significant money, and, IMHO, generates a positive culture in the locker room and among the majority of the fan base i.e. those who aren't like us in anticipating prospects that may not even play in the NHL for several more years, but want to root for the team's performance in the here and now.

We appear to be solidly in a playoff spot right now, and likely will be at least close to one for the rest of the season, barring any severe collapse, so being sellers for future gambles doesn't make sense.

However, we expect to be a stronger team going into the future, so trading future assets to try to make a deeper run this year also doesn't make sense.

Unless it's a 'hockey trade,' that doesn't deplete our prospect/draft pool e.g. perhaps dealing Vrana who likely won't play for us again, or a prospect that doesn't look like he's going to pan out while he still has some value, or something ridiculous (you never know!), I expect the best move is for Armstrong to 'stand pat' at the deadline this year.
That's basically what I was saying, and for the same reasons.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:55 pm

That's basically what I was saying, and for the same reasons.