Re: GDT: St Louis Blues at Dallas - 10/12 7:00 - TV:BSMW/ESPN+ Radio 101.1

The Blues were more tired. They did get a halfway decent amount of good chances. The Stars have more good skaters, who can excel in OT. By skating around and keeping the puck, they can keep the puck away from The Blues while they can change shifts, and The Blues can't. After 3-4 shifts by them with Blues' players being on the ice for too long, they can get 2 on 1s and score, or draw penalties and win it on The Power Play. They got to The Shootout, where they have the advantage with more higher-skilled shooters. The Blues tired out about half way through The 3rd. So, they were lucky to come out of this game with one point.

But I'm encouraged by their better sytstem and execution by their defenceman in The Neutral and Own Zones, as well as that of the forwards in the overall team defence. And Binnington looked okay during the game (if not-so-great-in The Shootout. I don't think they'll be as bad as they were last season, and they'll be interesting to watch THIS season.

Robb_K wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:57 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:53 pm Not sure if I missed it and Vrana missed a shift or two but interesting that he's had the fewest 5 on 5 minutes for the Blues tonight.
Maybe Berube called him out for being slow to get back on defence?
Must be something because even with his nearly 2 mins of PP time he saw less ice time than anyone else. Picked up the primary assist on the Blues only goal at least.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Granted the score could have been 3 or 4 for the Stars if not for Binner, but hey that's why you pay a goalie big money but I think without a doubt I liked what I saw from the Blues defense as a whole. Both the d-men and forwards. Parayko and Leddy I think had a very good game, both played over 24 minutes. I didn't love what I saw from Faulk and Krug though. Krug also needs to show much more on the PP or I'll be ready to see what Perun can do in that role.

Lots to be encouraged by coming out of game 1.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:32 am Granted the score could have been 3 or 4 for the Stars if not for Binner, but hey that's why you pay a goalie big money but I think without a doubt I liked what I saw from the Blues defense as a whole. Both the d-men and forwards. Parayko and Leddy I think had a very good game, both played over 24 minutes. I didn't love what I saw from Faulk and Krug though. Krug also needs to show much more on the PP or I'll be ready to see what Perun can do in that role.

Lots to be encouraged by coming out of game 1.
What I'm going to be interested in seeing is how the grade A chances allowed compare to last year. If there's one thing that I think the fancy stats don't quite capture correctly is parsing out the really high danger chances in tight vs. the chance from in close where the player has nowhere to go with the puck. The Blues allowed sooooo many of the "bad" high danger chances last year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:43 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:09 am Full game highlights

This reel made the Tucker/Scandella pairing look fucking terrible
There's a reason their combined minutes were the same as Parayko's alone. I do think Tucker looked decent on the PK which was encouraging. Tucker also was the only defensemen throwing his weight around. I like his game. Scandella is Scandella.