2023 Free Agent Frenzy

Where will ROR and Tarasenko end up? Will the Blues bid on anyone? I would love for them to take a run at Scott Mayfield. Big d-man who averaged over 21 mins of ice time last year. 30 years old, from St Louis had a 1.45 cap hit last year.

Does Army dare call up Ryan Reaves for a bargain price?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: 2023 Free Agent Frenzy

So right now we've got just under $4M in cap space. There are 11 forwards under contract. Bolduc and Dean will have a shot to make the roster out of camp at this point, but are not currently included in those 11. There are 7 D under contract not including Perunovich. He can essentially swap in for Rosen, who makes almost the same cap hit. In net, Binnington is locked in, and Hofer will be the backup unless something weird happens.

Once you add in Hofer's contract, you're looking at around $3.2 in cap space and will need at the very least another couple forwards. I can't imagine both Dean and Bolduc making the team, so there's probably some UFA out there that will be signed as a depth forward. Scenario A is that's all we see happen. Scenario B is the spicier one where a D is moved out and there's loads of cap space to work with either to bring in another D or a forward of more significance. Armstrong has a history of doing both scenarios, so I have no idea what happens. My calendar says tomorrow is 7/1, so we won't have to wait too long to start getting answers.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:52 am So right now we've got just under $4M in cap space. There are 11 forwards under contract. Bolduc and Dean will have a shot to make the roster out of camp at this point, but are not currently included in those 11. There are 7 D under contract not including Perunovich. He can essentially swap in for Rosen, who makes almost the same cap hit. In net, Binnington is locked in, and Hofer will be the backup unless something weird happens.

Once you add in Hofer's contract, you're looking at around $3.2 in cap space and will need at the very least another couple forwards. I can't imagine both Dean and Bolduc making the team, so there's probably some UFA out there that will be signed as a depth forward. Scenario A is that's all we see happen. Scenario B is the spicier one where a D is moved out and there's loads of cap space to work with either to bring in another D or a forward of more significance. Armstrong has a history of doing both scenarios, so I have no idea what happens. My calendar says tomorrow is 7/1, so we won't have to wait too long to start getting answers.
That's a pretty realistic breakdown. I wonder if there will be a lot of trades today.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 am I don't know why the Blues are stubborn and don't just do this with Scandella. Especially with the cap expected to jump up next off-season.

I feel the cap jumping next year and beyond does the opposite, really. I don't think we can realistally expect that D to look drastically different next year beyond Army getting lucky on swapping out a Top 4 guy, so by waiting, those albatross deals won't be such a big chunk of cap %. I'd imagine teams are also more willing to take money on without demanding half of a draft class in return.

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:24 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 am I don't know why the Blues are stubborn and don't just do this with Scandella. Especially with the cap expected to jump up next off-season.

I feel the cap jumping next year and beyond does the opposite, really. I don't think we can realistally expect that D to look drastically different next year beyond Army getting lucky on swapping out a Top 4 guy, so by waiting, those albatross deals won't be such a big chunk of cap %. I'd imagine teams are also more willing to take money on without demanding half of a draft class in return.
My thought is with this being Scandella's last year, buying him out frees you up much needed space for this year and gives you the chance to play someone like Tucker. The small penalty they have next year for the buy out won't impact them much.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

My thought is with this being Scandella's last year, buying him out frees you up much needed space for this year and gives you the chance to play someone like Tucker. The small penalty they have next year for the buy out won't impact them much.

I think Army was quoted one time saying he doesn't do buyouts. Signing Leddy was his big mistake. Not only over kill but he's not the right type of D guy we need in our top 4 anyway.

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:54 am

I think Army was quoted one time saying he doesn't do buyouts. Signing Leddy was his big mistake. Not only over kill but he's not the right type of D guy we need in our top 4 anyway.
Well he needs to stop being stubborn and willing to admit mistakes because in Scandella's situation, a buyout is clearly in the best interest of the organization. Unless they actually think they will be able to get any play out of him this year but I haven't seen it from him and think the savings are more valuable.

Trading for Leddy was his mistake. The signing just compounded it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:57 am

Well he needs to stop being stubborn and willing to admit mistakes because in Scandella's situation, a buyout is clearly in the best interest of the organization. Unless they actually think they will be able to get any play out of him this year but I haven't seen it from him and think the savings are more valuable.
Scandella only has one year left, and I don't think Army sees this team as a contender next year even with additions. Might as well just suck it up and let him play out the last year at this point.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:43 am Wow. Had 3 year at 8 a year still on his contract.

Buyout Cap Hit #Smashville:
23-24: $2.56M
24-25: $5.56M
25-26: $6.56M
26-27: $1.56M
27-28: $1.56M
28-29: $1.56M

He wasn't worth 8M, but he can still play. Wonder if he goes with a one year deal and hopes to strike it when the cap jumps next offseason. He seems like a good candidate for that.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:14 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:56 pm Dominik Bokk didn't even get a qualifying offer from Carolina. 2018 was a terrible draft year.
wow it REALLY was!
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2018e.html

Look who Detroit drafted 98th overall :D :D :D :D :D
Never a good sign that 5 years in, only 5 of the top 10 picks are real building blocks for their team.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:32 am Welll, we know there won't be any big signing unless a contract on defense gets moved. I wonder if SunnyD returns.
Sundqvist is the best fit for 4th line centre, given only $4.5 million cap space left. Need to, at least, dump Scandella's contract to feel safe in signing anyone over $2 million.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:14 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:56 pm Dominik Bokk didn't even get a qualifying offer from Carolina. 2018 was a terrible draft year.
wow it REALLY was!
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2018e.html

Look who Detroit drafted 98th overall :D :D :D :D :D
I was stunned at how bad it was when I checked it earlier.
Not only that, but even in the later rounds there was no "hidden gem" like a Pavel Datsyuk from the '98 Draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NHL_Entry_Draft

(Don't look who we wasted our 1st rounder on.....)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!