Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 am A week from the deadline. Blues are 7 points out of a playoff spot. Leddy has played well enough this year to restore some trade value, I hope they can move him.
We've watched his skating ability gain the zone, he's probably the best on the team at end to end rushes. Our forwards can't do that and Krug certainly can't. I don't know what the solution to this team is but I'm pretty sure Krug isn't part of it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:57 am The Blues have 12 forwards and 6 d-men that play each night..Who of them do you think to yourself, wow I am glad and excited to have them a part of the organization for years to come?

My list is 3. Three of the 18.
Skaters I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they develop here:

Jordan Kyrou. I'm not as down on Kyrou as most on this board are. I still think he can be a great scorer (35+ goals; 75+ points) who may still give you fits at times, but I'm OK with that. There are players who make less that I'd rather have, there are players that make more that I'm glad we don't have.

Robert Thomas. Of course

Jake Neighbors. Probably another consensus choice.

Alexei Toropchenko. Not a top-line guy, but I really, REALLY like his game, and think he'll be a great middle-6 guy and likely fan-favorite in the near future.

Matthew Kessel. Maybe not 'excited' to watch, but a steady guy like he's shaping up to be is SO important to a winning team, and usually much under-rated.

Zach Bolduc. If you're counting on him as one of the 'regulars' now. (I think he is)

Scott Perunovich. His health being the obvious caveat here. If he works through his early injury problems, he could be a fun one to see develop

Pavel Buchnevich. Although I'm certain he'll be traded, it sounds like we could really get a haul for him that's too good to resist.

After them, I think the current guys who'll still be around will become the depth 'veteran leadership' as we add Snuggerud, Dvorsky, maybe Dean, and who knows who else coming up.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:57 am The Blues have 12 forwards and 6 d-men that play each night..Who of them do you think to yourself, wow I am glad and excited to have them a part of the organization for years to come?

For me it would be Thomas, Neighbours and Buch and it sucks that were gonna trade Buch off to keep Kyrou around.

I think Neighbours might be the best of those three when all is said and done. He's only 21 and he can be a game changer already.

OK, two possible trades based on things I've heard/read online, mostly from sources that are NOT in any of the cities/fanbases involved.

Potential deal #1:
Based this on something I read, though it seems like a LOT on Carolina's part, but I think it had the assumption that the Rangers and Canes were in a quiet bidding war for Buchnevich.
To Hurricanes: Pavel Buchnevich, Blues retain some salary.
To Blues: Martin Necas (RFA), Jackson Blake, Carolina's 2024 1st, and Philadelphia's 2024 2nd.
That SEEMS like a lot to give up, but considering Necas is an RFA, and the Blues retaining some salary allows Carolina to potentially make another move (and it would keep Buchnevich from going to the Rangers), it sounds a LITTLE better.

IMHO, this haul would be worth St. Louis missing the playoffs for.

Potential deal #2:
To Rangers: 2024 1st, Brennan Othmann, and Kaapo Kakko (RFA)
To Blues: Pavel Buchnevich, conditional 2024 2nd (Condition= Kakko re-signs with the Blues)

Alternate: Drop Kakko and conditional 2nd; Rangers add a draft pick for the Blues to retain ~$1.5 mil salary.
I like the first one better. Despite being drafted in the 4th round (109 overall), he's looking like he could be a 1st line player in a couple of years. Othmann, OTOH, was a 1st round pick (16 overall) and looks like he could be a top-6 player as early as next season.

Any thoughts?

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 pm OK, two possible trades based on things I've heard/read online, mostly from sources that are NOT in any of the cities/fanbases involved.

Potential deal #1:
Based this on something I read, though it seems like a LOT on Carolina's part, but I think it had the assumption that the Rangers and Canes were in a quiet bidding war for Buchnevich.
To Blues: Martin Necas (RFA), Jackson Blake, Carolina's 2024 1st, and Philadelphia's 2024 2nd.
That SEEMS like a lot to give up, but considering Necas is an RFA, and the Blues retaining some salary allows Carolina to potentially make another move (and it would keep Buchnevich from going to the Rangers), it sounds a LITTLE better.

Potential deal #2:
To Blues: Pavel Buchnevich, conditional 2024 2nd (Condition= Kakko re-signs with the Blues)

Alternate: Drop Kakko and conditional 2nd; Rangers add a draft pick for the Blues to retain ~$1.5 mil salary.
I like the first one better. Despite being drafted in the 4th round (109 overall), he's looking like he could be a 1st line player in a couple of years. Othmann, OTOH, was a 1st round pick (16 overall) and looks like he could be a top-6 player as early as next season.

Any thoughts?
I can’t imagine the Rangers bidding for Buch when they gave him to us for nothing in the first place. They would look so dumb.

The Canes deal sounds pretty good to me.

Army is going to milk this one, you just know it.

RAFritchey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 pm OK, two possible trades based on things I've heard/read online, mostly from sources that are NOT in any of the cities/fanbases involved.

Potential deal #1:

Potential deal #2:

Any thoughts?
All I know is that if the Blues are going to send away a top line player for two playoff seasons, who is literally in the prime of his career at a reasonably priced contract, who can play in any situation, then that return better knock the Blues fan's socks off because Armstrong will never hear the end of it if the returns don't pan out.

We aren't giving away a rental. We could be giving away a player who could help us in the playoffs for next season as well.

Potential deal #1:

Potential deal #2:

Any thoughts?
What's the motivation for the Canes trading Necas for a guy that'll likely be filling the same role for a higher cap hit? Is it just buying an extra year of cost control before having to pay Buch? That's a great trade for the Blues and one Armstrong would make yesterday I assume.

Regarding the Rangers deal, I don't know anything about Othmann other than he was a high pick. I don't think Kakko is particularly interesting at this point. Also, they changed the rule regarding conditional picks a year or two ago. Teams can't have whether or not a player re-signs with a team as one of the extensions anymore.

I think Buch gets moved, possibly for the biggest haul of any player at the deadline. I'll miss him since he's probably the best do it all winger the Blues have had in ages.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

For me it would be Thomas, Neighbours and Buch and it sucks that were gonna trade Buch off to keep Kyrou around.

I think Neighbours might be the best of those three when all is said and done. He's only 21 and he can be a game changer already.
I don't consider Buch a part of the future so I didn't include him. I forgot about Bolduc so I'll add him too. My list was Thomas, Neighbours, and Torpo. Beyond that, I don't care about any one else on this roster that's not a goalie.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Can we trade Lou Korac? Whenever I see shit like this it makes me hate fake journalists even more. What is selling going to net the Blues? The whole idea that you should throw in the towel if you aren't in first place is a loser ideal that only makes sense to lazy couch potato people. The Blues have a hot goalie right now... they should add talent and try to ride Binnington in the playoffs.

And if they win the next 3 or 4 straight, what's the headline then? You're right. People looking for clicks. The heavy pendulum swings get annoying. Just sit back and enjoy what happens. It's all good. Winning, or not winning and making trades, whatever it is, it is. Just enjoy it and talk some hockey. Just sayin.................

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:30 am Looking at this fancy stats player card, I'm convinced the plan a couple years ago was to pair Parayko with Krug and it just did not work:
Two straight years he's been one of the worst defensemen in the league going forward. Which makes no sense considering his skill set but just completely lacks offensive instinct.

He's also yet another Blues player playing one slot higher than they should be.

All-time bad take about Nick Leddy in that comment section.
Just a Russian propaganda account