Re: GDT: Blues vs Flyers - 7:00 4/4

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:34 am Deep down you wonder what Army wants. But I bet his intention was to still try to win. Probably didn't expect them to do as well but it is what it is.
We've been just slightly over .500 since the trade deadline (8-6-2 for 18 points in 16 games). If we'd played at that pace all season long, we'd have 87 points right now and be 2 points out of the second wildcard spot in the West.

Weird, WEIRD season, a roller coaster of streaks early on, doing better AFTER trading two of our top players, HOPEFULLY getting 2-3 high-quality players in the draft this year (or in deals around the draft). This season has not been 'good' or 'bad' so much as just CHAOTIC. Here's hoping that what emerges from the chaos next season is something triumphant!

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:34 am Deep down you wonder what Army wants. But I bet his intention was to still try to win. Probably didn't expect them to do as well but it is what it is.
We've been just slightly over .500 since the trade deadline (8-6-2 for 18 points in 16 games). If we'd played at that pace all season long, we'd have 87 points right now and be 2 points out of the second wildcard spot in the West.

Weird, WEIRD season, a roller coaster of streaks early on, doing better AFTER trading two of our top players, HOPEFULLY getting 2-3 high-quality players in the draft this year (or in deals around the draft). This season has not been 'good' or 'bad' so much as just CHAOTIC. Here's hoping that what emerges from the chaos next season is something triumphant!
Yeah, it worked out for the best. To make the playoffs and let ROR and Tank walk for nothing would of been a disaster.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:21 pm

At the beginning of the season I really thought this team was a lot better than it was.

We knew our defense was a liability but I thought we had enough offense to overcome it. I think we had some locker room issues. Our special teams were just awful too. MacTavish has to go.

We are right where I didn't want to be. Out of the playoffs and not with a high draft pick. We had a chance to tank and didn't take it. Oh well. Berube needs to coach his ass off next season to make up for it.

Can we PLEASE stop playing that west virginia song...

Anyone else keeping tabs, it has a %65+ chance of getting the other team to score a goal against us.

Without fail, it happened AGAIN tonight and then philthy had all the momentum and if not for binner they-da tied it up (which next season we don't want)

"The fans love it" well fuck those fans then. I want W's not happy hoosiers singing a gay song by a guy that had blue eyes (1 blew over there the other blew over there)

/Rant
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:39 am Can we PLEASE stop playing that west virginia song...

Anyone else keeping tabs, it has a %65+ chance of getting the other team to score a goal against us.

Without fail, it happened AGAIN tonight and then philthy had all the momentum and if not for binner they-da tied it up (which next season we don't want)

"The fans love it" well fuck those fans then. I want W's not happy hoosiers singing a gay song by a guy that had blue eyes (1 blew over there the other blew over there)

/Rant
It's tired. Just like the core of this team was.

Time for a change.

I do like traditions but hate gimmicks.

The goal horn. The goal count. Those are great.

That song. No. It's a novelty at best.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:11 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:39 am Can we PLEASE stop playing that west virginia song...

/Rant
It's tired. Just like the core of this team was.

Time for a change.

I do like traditions but hate gimmicks.

The goal horn. The goal count. Those are great.

That song. No. It's a novelty at best.
We switched from "when the blues go marching in" to this new goal song and won a SC like 3 yrs later...

Could be coincidence, could be a much more up tempo song is what a team needs to stay focused at hockey
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:49 am Keep running Binner out there Chief! Hell yeah! Sure you're eliminated from the playoffs and only two goalies have started more games than him but keep going all out to pick up points!! These are crucial and important games if the Blues win them the points carry over to next year.
The problem with this joke is that the premise is flawed. I don't think there's anything to suggest Binnington is going to win you more games than the other options. Hofer earned 7 out of a possible 10 points in the games he started and had better numbers across the board. You could start the Russian kid and see how that goes I suppose, but I have no problem with running Binnington the rest of the season if they want. He's not stealing any games.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:32 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:49 am Keep running Binner out there Chief! Hell yeah! Sure you're eliminated from the playoffs and only two goalies have started more games than him but keep going all out to pick up points!! These are crucial and important games if the Blues win them the points carry over to next year.
The problem with this joke is that the premise is flawed. I don't think there's anything to suggest Binnington is going to win you more games than the other options. Hofer earned 7 out of a possible 10 points in the games he started and had better numbers across the board. You could start the Russian kid and see how that goes I suppose, but I have no problem with running Binnington the rest of the season if they want. He's not stealing any games.
If Vadim Zherenko gives the Blues the same chance to win as JB50 then he is the most overpaid goalie in hockey and teams should just simply run whoever out there.

Binner made some absolutely brilliant saves while the Blues had the PP that kept the Flyers from tying the game late in the 3rd.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:36 am
If Vadim Zherenko gives the Blues the same chance to win as JB50 then he is the most overpaid goalie in hockey and teams should just simply run whoever out there.

Binner made some absolutely brilliant saves while the Blues had the PP that kept the Flyers from tying the game late in the 3rd.
Now you're on to something.

Note: This is not meant in an argumentative way, there's just nothing else to really talk about with this team right now.

I assume this play is the one you're talking about from Binnington:

While the paddle save from his belly was neat, it was only neccessary because he made a horrible mistake and was flopping around like a fish, thereby leaving the net wide open. This sequence should've been an absolute non-event.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:14 am
RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:13 pm There's still a chance we could fall to 13th pick. 😒
I think 8th is about the best we could do right now.
Yes. We had a legit shot at 5th a few weeks ago.
I don't think we ever could have gotten into the top-6, no matter how poorly we did. Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago, San Jose, Montreal, and Arizona are just so much objectively worse (including injuries). It'd still be nice to land around 8-9 though.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:23 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:14 am
RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 pm

I think 8th is about the best we could do right now.
Yes. We had a legit shot at 5th a few weeks ago.
I don't think we ever could have gotten into the top-6, no matter how poorly we did. Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago, San Jose, Montreal, and Arizona are just so much objectively worse (including injuries). It'd still be nice to land around 8-9 though.
Arizona has been objectively spanking our ass for the last three seasons so I don't think we are that far off.

We were third from the bottom at one point in the season. All is took was a little less effort. 🙂

When we had our second massive losing streak the writing was definitely on the wall and we are ending up exactly where I was hoping the team wouldn't end up... Out of the playoffs and with middle round draft pick.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:18 pm

Note: This is not meant in an argumentative way, there's just nothing else to really talk about with this team right now.

While the paddle save from his belly was neat, it was only neccessary because he made a horrible mistake and was flopping around like a fish, thereby leaving the net wide open. This sequence should've been an absolute non-event.

This feels like you’re being contrarian just to be contrarian. Horrible mistake of what, squaring up the shooter that the defense was letting skate free? He went down first because he thought the guy was going to try and stuff it in behind him after he held onto it instead of shooting which is why you see him throw his glove hand to the ice. That’s not what I’d call a “huge mistake” or flopping like a fish.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:40 pm

This feels like you’re being contrarian just to be contrarian. Horrible mistake of what, squaring up the shooter that the defense was letting skate free? He went down first because he thought the guy was going to try and stuff it in behind him after he held onto it instead of shooting which is why you see him throw his glove hand to the ice. That’s not what I’d call a “huge mistake” or flopping like a fish.
Goalies should keep their outer edge there and be able to push off to the other post. He overcommitted and lost his edge. Should've been a non event. He was OK not great the rest of the game.

My "real talk" big picture Binnington take is that he's an incredible big game goalie that absolutely cannot be trusted over 60 regular season starts. He loses interest or focus or whatever and becomes unreliable over large swathes of the season. He can be fantastic when locked in and the team is rising up around him, but if one of those two factors is not 100%, look out.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:11 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:40 pm

Goalies should keep their outer edge there and be able to push off to the other post. He overcommitted and lost his edge. Should've been a non event. He was OK not great the rest of the game.

My "real talk" big picture Binnington take is that he's an incredible big game goalie that absolutely cannot be trusted over 60 regular season starts. He loses interest or focus or whatever and becomes unreliable over large swathes of the season. He can be fantastic when locked in and the team is rising up around him, but if one of those two factors is not 100%, look out.
He's basically Grant Fuhr but with a little Billy Smith thrown in.